New cam- what else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 04:35 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Greetings again.

I'd like to put a new cam into my 460, but have never done so myself. Before I start picking out a cam, what else needs to be or should be replaced at the same time?

Is it really that hard? I have a fairly good understanding of the engine, but have no idea what has to be "adjusted" when a new cam goes in.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin K.

Old 10-11-2002, 07:01 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifters, timing chain assembly, assembly lube and cam gasket set (sold for that purpose). I'd also replace the water pump as long as I was in there. What's your valve train and application for the engine?

It's not a difficult or highly technical job, but like any first-time endeavor there's a mechanical learning curve. Make sure you have good manuals.

Old 10-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Quantrex
Senior User

I'd include valve springs on that list too, especially if you are going with a higher lifter/longer duration cam.

Old 10-12-2002, 07:06 PM
1 Big Mike
Senior User

I think most cam kits com with pushrods also and refacing your rocker arms ain't a bad idea either

Old 10-14-2002, 09:04 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru

>What's your valve train and
>application for the engine?

The engine is in a 78 f150 4x4 that I use mainly for off-roading. I will also be plowing my drive with it in the winter. The valve train is stock.

>I think most cam kits com with pushrods also and refacing your >rocker arms ain't a bad idea either

How does one reface a rocker arm? Is that something a shop would have to do or do you mean just polish it up with a dremel?

Thanks all for your responses!

Kevin K.

Old 10-14-2002, 09:26 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster

You should have pedestal mounted rocker arms, which are non-adjustable. After installation of the cam, lifters and push rods, bolt the rocker arm assemblies on the heads and torque to stated values. No adjustment.

When you purchase your timing gear set, get one for the early ('68-71) engine. '72 on have 4 degrees of retard in them. You'll notice a big difference.

When you select your cam, as pointed out by Quantrex, ask the manufacturer if aftermarket valve springs will be required. If you choose a cam with enough additional lift to require higher seat pressure springs, There are a couple of methods to replace the springs without pulling the heads. As you have a low compression engine, I'd try and stay away from high lift cams that require a spring change.

Most cams are sold as a single item or with lifters as a package to save a couple of bucks. You shouldn't need new push rods.

Refacing rocker arms is something I'm not familiar with.

Old 10-14-2002, 11:04 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru

Thank you all very much. I think I am ready to embark on this adventure. I just have to figure out how to determine which cam I need.

Thanks again!

Kevin K.

Old 10-14-2002, 04:50 PM
1bad400
Junior User