Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Antifreeze Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze Question

I'm in the process of changing out my antifreeze and installing a block heater. As I'm draining the old antifreeze, I noticed it was a 'rusty brown' color. I know the old green stuff would change color as it got old, but since I've never seen any of the new 'orange' antifreeze, I wasn't sure what this stuff was.

My main reason from asking is for disposal. If this is the old green stuff, then I want to dispose of it properly, if it's the new orange stuff, then I can pour it in the drain culvert out back.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
wylecoyote
More Turbo
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Mark, no way I know of telling weather ethelyn glycol or propelene glycol, (safe or non safe). Best thing to do is stop by Jiffy Lube. I have been told they will take used oil and coolant. Or just about any automotive shop will also. better be safe than sorry.

Brian

Old 01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd call first.... Places like Rapid Oil and Napa no longer take oil or coolant around here, and coolant is the hardest to get rid of. Our county though has a recycle place fortunately.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by MarkMoore
I'm in the process of changing out my antifreeze and installing a block heater. As I'm draining the old antifreeze, I noticed it was a 'rusty brown' color. I know the old green stuff would change color as it got old, but since I've never seen any of the new 'orange' antifreeze, I wasn't sure what this stuff was.

My main reason from asking is for disposal. If this is the old green stuff, then I want to dispose of it properly, if it's the new orange stuff, then I can pour it in the drain culvert out back.
Actually...it should be either GREEN or GOLD (looks more yellow)...and NEVER orange anti-freeze. Also...your 2001 V10 should still be on the GREEN.

In '02 or '03...they started using GOLD. Which is supposed to last longer...and extending the change intervals. It is possible to change over from GREEN to GOLD...but all...ALL the GREEN would need to be completely flushed...and then replaced with GOLD. They cannot be used together.

IMO...the coolant should be taken to a proper disposal site.

biz

Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
T- Squared
Junior User
Old 01-07-2008, 07:16 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
I collected all of it and will take it to a parts place for disposal.

I replaced it with fresh green stuff and distilled water.

Also I was told something this weekend that I thought I would pass on - this is purely from a single source, so please don't kill the messenger. My neighbor, who onws his own Volvo shop, to me to stay away from the 'orange' antifreeze. He got a TSB form Volvo stating not use it because it was causing accelerated corosion to the hoses and seals.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I worked on a '95 GM with that orange stuff in it - in 3 years, it had turned to what basically could be called "honey". And rusty as all heck.

I'll stick with the green - it gives me a reason to go over the cooling system every 2 years

I also use propylene glycol based green stuff.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Wait a minute. Is this stuff yellow, or orange. I.e., does it come from the factory yellow, and then turn orange over time/use, or is it orange when new?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Owners manual calls it 'yellow' but I assume that means more 'greenish' since they further go on to talk about 'orange' (VC-2) in the manual (pg 235 on my 2005 Ex)...for me that distinction in the manual using 'orange' and 'yellow' lead me to beleive 'yellow' = 'green' VC-7 I believe is the correct numbers...

joe.

Last edited by X_Hemi_Guy; 01-07-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Owners manual calls it 'yellow' but I assume that means more 'greenish' since they further go on to talk about 'orange' (VC-2) in the manual (pg 235 on my 2005 Ex)...for me that distinction in the manual using 'orange' and 'yellow' lead me to beleive 'yellow' = 'green' VC-7 I believe is the correct numbers...

joe.
Actually...that is completely incorrect with regard to your assumption. As I stated in my previous post...and remember is based on year of V10.

green = green (it really is a green color)

gold or yellow = yellow (kind of yellowish gold color)

Orange = Orange (it really is an orange color)
[This orange coolant is NEVER to be used in our V10 engines.]

Hope that helps some...

biz

Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
That's what I was thinking, that the coolant in my 2005 couldn't really be called "orange", only yellow/gold. So what is the orange stuff and why is it to be avoided?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:37 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by biz4two
Actually...that is completely incorrect with regard to your assumption.
I did say it was an assumption...which...well you say is wrong...and I'm fine with that...

I did read your post and must have mis-read it...I thought you said Green or Gold as in the same...not two different.

When flushing I always completely flush things a few times...

SO there are really three types of anti-freeze out there?...I guess I never paid much attention to color before...I always thought there was anti-freeze and extended life anti-freeze...I'm still not sure what the yellow and green differ by (other than the obvious color)...additives? Life length? is the yellow pre-mixed 50/50?...sorry...I just want to understand what's different...

My 2005 manual states VC7 is acceptable (yellow) so I guess I just need to go by the VC7 designator as I'm sure Wally world don't want me popping the foil to see color! But I always buy by mfg recommended #'s...so I would have been fine...the VC7 sounds to be 'Gold' stuff if I understand your post Biz. Does Prestone make all three? What about Peak and the other mfg's of anti-freeze?...I'm glad Mark started this thread...I'm not changing mine for a few months but at least I've got some more info now...

The VC2 (orange) is 'extended-life' stuff...usually supposedly good for 100,000 miles between changes...per my understanding...

Thanks for the clarification...

joe.

Last edited by X_Hemi_Guy; 01-08-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
WilleyB
Senior User
What VC# would the Green AF coolant have?
Good Thread

Willis

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-08-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I did say it was an assumption...which...well you say is wrong...and I'm fine with that...

I did read your post and must have mis-read it...I thought you said Green or Gold as in the same...not two different.

When flushing I always completely flush things a few times...

SO there are really three types of anti-freeze out there?...I guess I never paid much attention to color before...I always thought there was anti-freeze and extended life anti-freeze...I'm still not sure what the yellow and green differ by (other than the obvious color)...additives? Life length? is the yellow pre-mixed 50/50?...sorry...I just want to understand what's different...

My 2005 manual states VC7 is acceptable (yellow) so I guess I just need to go by the VC7 designator as I'm sure Wally world don't want me popping the foil to see color! But I always buy by mfg recommended #'s...so I would have been fine...the VC7 sounds to be 'Gold' stuff if I understand your post Biz. Does Prestone make all three? What about Peak and the other mfg's of anti-freeze?...I'm glad Mark started this thread...I'm not changing mine for a few months but at least I've got some more info now...

The VC2 (orange) is 'extended-life' stuff...usually supposedly good for 100,000 miles between changes...per my understanding...

Thanks for the clarification...

joe.

Here are the differences as I know them for the 3 different coolants in this discussion. All in Motorcraft trim...as I do not use the aftermarket products and cannot comment on that.

Originally Posted by biz4two
Green = 30,000 mile change interval
VC-4

GOLD (yellow) = 60,000 mile change interval
VC-7

Orange = 100,000 mile change interval
VC-2 and VC-3
No the GOLD (yellow) is not a pre-mix 50/50 in the Motorcraft brand. It might come that way aftermarket, but not sure.

X_Hemi ... sorry if I came off a bit harsh in my previous post. That was not my intention.

Hope this info helps...

biz

Last edited by biz4two; 01-08-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
biz,

No problems or worries.

Thanks for providing the details...like I said...it did help me learn something as I didn't realize there were THREE types now!

joe.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Question