finally

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 12:19 PM
TrackStar
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally

i finally sold my ford truck :-( but, im going to put some money into the 460 sitting in the garage which will go in my car. i will have about $1000 to play with. what do you guys recommend i do to the engine? it will be a long while before i can put more money into it. i would like to get where i can put the motor in my car and add heads and a touch of NOS later on. what brand of cam intake and carb should i use. i might have it bored .030 over or so. im in college and married so this is my one chance to get this engine as close to installable as possible. as close to 500hp as possible would be nice but i know hp/$ it probably wont work.

thanks guys,
Andrew
:P

Old 11-04-2002, 04:30 PM
f100dw
Senior User
finally

Are you going to rebuild it? If so, that will use most of your money. If you just want to hop it up some, my stock 460 ran well with a comp cams 280 magnum, 750 holley, and headers. Leave the compression ratio at the stock amount; that will make it easy to run a 250 shot later. I ran a comp 280 cam with the stock timing chain(retarded). The power came on strong about 2500 rpm. I put 3.70 gears in my truck so at 55 mph it would be in the power range. The mileage actually went up a little by bringing the engine into it's operating range. If you put a good double roller chain in it(straight up), it will bring that power range down some. A cam and lifters will cost you about $200, chain about $70, Carb about $250, and headers are anywhere from $75 to $500. These are rough estimates. I think you can get over 400hp, but 500 might be tough on a $1000 budget. Hope this helps.

Dave

Old 11-04-2002, 06:37 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
finally

I'd rebuild it stock, with +.030 new cast pistons, moly rings, turned crank, resized rods with ARP bolts, Clevite 77 bearings including cam bearings, new oil pump, new arp oil shaft, new water pump, Cloyes double roller straight up timing chain assembly, have the rotating assembly balanced by a shop that knows what they're doing, get the valves ground, and get it installed. That should take care of your $1k and you'll have a good running, reliable engine that can be the base for whatever future modifications you decide on up to about 550hp with the stock rods.

Use the stock cam and a new set of cheap hydraulic lifters. Don't waste money on an aftermarket cam until you make the decision of what heads you're going to run. In a year or more, your thoughts on heads could change and your choice of heads will drive your cam selection. When you change the heads, replacing the cam is just another step since most of the engine dress will already be off. Then you can buy good lifters to match the cam. Your selection of cam after determining which heads will also influence intake manifold and carburetor as you'll have an rpm number.

If you are going to use spray on a regular basis, gap the rings accordingly for when that happens.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:35 AM
TrackStar
Junior User
finally

thanks guys for all your input. i will take all those things into consideration.
Andrew

Old 11-06-2002, 02:25 PM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
finally