Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Senior User

golfgooroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Keys locked in truck!

Need help.. My son locked my keys in the cab of the truck. To complicate things, I have the Ford upgraded alarm which disables the keypad. And the real kick in the $^%, is that I only have 1 set of keys. I'm definitely going to have a couple of more sets of keys made when I get inside, BUT any suggestions on how to get inside the cab. I live way out in the boonies and really would like to avoid calling a locksmith. Appreciate the help!!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior User

anfo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I called the dealer I purchased my mustang from and they made me a key and brought it to me (if you bought new from the dealer). The only suggestion I've heard in the past is to pry the upper corner of the door open enough to fit a stiff wire through and hit the door lock button. It will take awile and you''l have to keep bending /tweaking the wire and may mess up some weather stipping but people have done it. When I say wire I am referiing to those old metal coat hangers, stiffer if you can find it.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Junior User

cletus_the_red is starting off with a positive reputation.
My sister had the same problem with her explorer. All we did was call the police, and they came with a wedge type of thing made of a really hard rubber. and pryed the door upen. just like the post above this one said.

what year and truck is it?
Check out my gallery if you want to see them
Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior User

The truck is a 2000 F-150 with the PATS key system.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Postmaster

galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You will be hard pressed to get law enforcement to unlock a door unless the vehicle is running or there is an animal inside. The only way I know how without ruining anything is to get a slimjim and use it on the P. side door to pick the lock up. The next cheapest way with ruining something would probably be to do the screw driver in the lock that thieves use. Take a flathead screwdriver and place it in the lock slot in the P. side door and whack it with a hammer, it will destroy the lock but will pop the inside lock up.

I also have had NO luck with getting a dealer to make a key, the last time this happened to me they wanted my registration, title and ID. Two of which were in the locked cab and I had a cousin in law that worked at the dealer that could vouch for me and they still wouldn't make one from my VIN.
'08 CVPI
'09 F150 5.4L
'10 Mustang GT
Old 01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
New User

91rnb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Red face

Same problem today only worse place.Got out topump gas,wife got out to pay &hit the lock button.Calledtow guy,He pushed a plastic wedge in the door crack then slid a inflation bag in there,stuck a stiff wire in and hit the unlock.I think you could do it with just the wedge if you had a small dia.wire.put wedge in the uuper vertical corner and place the wire in from the horizontal corner.You need to come in from the top side because of the door moulding.cost me 40 bucks. good luck rnb
Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Posting Guru

Club Wagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In an emergency, like being caught in a remote spot, or when you're really limited on tools & time there's always sacrificing a window. Those little Super Crew windows are pretty cheap & easy to replace. Insurance may even cover them!

Last time I was in Hawaii an elderly couple was waiting for help to come in a rather remote spot b/c they'd locked themselves out of their rental car. Hours later, as the sun was setting, they were still there after I'd hiked out to see lava flow into the Pacific. They looked exhausted & I convinced them to let me break a window for them. Within seconds they were sitting comfortably inside w/AC running & on their way back to civilization for some R&R.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Senior User

B's FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
slim jim the rear sliding window, ive done it many times.......
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Senior User

Anybody know of a place that I could get a slimjim? I don't have a rear sliding window and I'm hoping not to destroy anything. We'll see about that though.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Elder User

Ron W. is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you bought the truck new or can find the original selling dealer they will have the key code in the sales folder. Once you have the key code you can go to your local Ford dealer and have a key cut, pats or non-pats your choice. If you go non-pats it will only unlock the door, if you have a pats key cut you will still only be able to unlock the door until the new key is programmed. The dealers parts department should be able to do this for you and will require proof of ownership, such as an insurance card with the VIN and your name along with your drivers license will do the trick, (of course if you know someone there personally the paperwork may be unnecessary). They will make a copy of the insurance card and your license as protection for the dealership, and you'll be asked to sign and date the copy. The copy must be kept at the dealership in case law enforcement gets involved.Good luck.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Senior User

anfo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I keep a key that will not start the vehicle taped inside gas filler hole and forward of the filler neck, you really have to look for it to see it. On my mustang I duct taped the key the dealer brought me (wont start car) to the back of the back plate. I dont even worry about locking my keys in anymore, after the mustang incident I said never again.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior User

dcsmith is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 97 ford it was easy. I always did it on the passenger side. Call it a slim jim or a flat piece of metal. It seemed like it was a pull up to unlock.

About in line with the lock button, slide something down inside the glass area it seems like 9 to 12 inches (I don't remember for sure). You'll see the lock button jiggle when you hit the right thing. Feel your way around and pull up on what you found jiggling. It works pretty easy.

We used, me and another guy with same 97 trucks, a roofing tool we called a "bull d**k." It is flat long and has a head I mean hooked end. We only used that (many times on my truck or his) because he had it in his tool box.

Between the two trucks we've been breaking into them since 1999 on one or the other of them. It got to the point my business partner could be in in less than 10 second, 15 including finding the bull dic*.

2005 F150, Lariat, Super Cab, 4x4, 5.4
Audio Upgrade/ Ipod Interface, Air horns, Dual Flowmasters

Last edited by dcsmith; 01-06-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Elder User

superdutymj is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've gotten into my truck with a skoal can and a coat hanger. Pry on the top of the door with your fingers until you can slide the skoal can between the door and cab, and then straighten out the coat hanger to push the button on the door panel. The local fomoco dealership here in town has a system similar to this on their service trucks. It's a little airbag they slide into the door jam and then inflate the bag until they can get a thin bar in to push the button.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Junior User

bigmtk is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've used a wire several times to hit the unlock button. They are also very easy to slim jim, took a friend who is a deputy about 5 seconds to unlock it.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Elder User

superdutymj is starting off with a positive reputation.
if it were a super duty those have got to be the easiest truck to break into! the handles cost like 25 bucks, cheaper than a locksmith. just grab ahold of the handle, put your other hand on the door, and give 'er a good tug. The handle will break out of the door and unlock it for you. Real nice, especially when you have 2k worth of audio and video equipment and the tool tray full of 1k worth of snap-on tools behind the seat! yes experience is talking !
Old 01-06-2008, 12:59 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
1993, 2000, 92, coat, door, expedition, f150, ford, hanger, jim, key, keys, locked, open, slim, slimjim, truck