West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Need Help Really Bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Possom9999
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help Really Bad

Im brand new to the Forum and the Wv Chapter. Im having trouble with my truck, well major trouble. I busted the rear diff and thought the cluth out of it. I put a detroit locker in place of a carrier and replaced all bearing,races, and seals. As of today when i shove the cluth pedal down the noise stops and when its out it sounds like your taking a sledge hammer to the tranny. Could I have broke the shaft that goes through the tranny to the transfer. I have a new cluth, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing for to put in it. Just wanting so input on what you guys think the truck would have a story to tell if it could tell one. By the way its a( 2002 Ford F150 XL 4.2 V6 with a 5 spd 4x4) Also any chance I maybe I could find the tranny in a junk yard.

Possom

Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 AM
BigDirt
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Possom9999
Im brand new to the Forum and the Wv Chapter. Im having trouble with my truck, well major trouble. I busted the rear diff and thought the cluth out of it. I put a detroit locker in place of a carrier and replaced all bearing,races, and seals. As of today when i shove the cluth pedal down the noise stops and when its out it sounds like your taking a sledge hammer to the tranny. Could I have broke the shaft that goes through the tranny to the transfer. I have a new cluth, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing for to put in it. Just wanting so input on what you guys think the truck would have a story to tell if it could tell one. By the way its a( 2002 Ford F150 XL 4.2 V6 with a 5 spd 4x4) Also any chance I maybe I could find the tranny in a junk yard.

Possom
Sounds like a throw out bearing. you putting a locker in the rearend has nothing to do with the clutch or trans.
be sure and replace the pilot bushing. if it's worn it can tear the center out of the clutch disk, been there done that!

Last edited by BigDirt; 01-07-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Hmmm, don't know much about trannies.

If you do wind up needing parts, go and post in the Parts Forum. Some of the guys are really good about keeping an eye out for what folks need.

Good Luck Dude!

Joe

Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What were you doing when the diff seized? How Fast, etc? It could give some insight as to what happened to the tranny. that year truck has one of those mexi-japan-canees tranny's in it and they dont like sudden drivetrain shocks. Does the vehicle move at all?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Possom9999
New User
I was coming home from work and on the on ramp to the interstate going from 2nd to 3rd and let out on the clutch. When the clutch caught it sounded like a bomb went off where the pressure plate is. After that I had it pulled back to my shop where i work at. I was going 30 to 40 Mph when it all happened . It would only move in low lock. Since i fixed the rear diff it will only move it first and rev.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:18 AM
BigDirt
New User
Sorry for the post before i wasn't thinking about the tranny not shifting. Aren't these top loader trans shifters, maybe a fork or ear off the shifter.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With only first and reverse something definatly has come loose in the trans, Like the aforementioned shift fork, or worse a rail or gear itself, maybe even a bearing. It really needs to be RDI'd to tell the full story, I would start pricing used and rebuilt units. One thin I remember from my shop days, Depending on the insurance company, if you have Full Coverage, some companies will cover engines, transmissions etc.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Possom9999
New User
Thats Ok BigDirt it happens,I already started pricing trannys 500.00 is the cheapest I can find. I guess I will see the full damage this weekend when I get into it this weekend I'll try to post some pics of all this damage.