Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Progress on Buford

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:11 PM
80F100man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell, if it was too quiet, you wouldn't think it was a pickup Truck, now would ya'?? hahahaha

Old 07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Nah...I'm not going for any sort of library listening environment or anything, but I do what to do what I can to have the truck sound solid, eliminate body panel noise, and have it at least try to be less noisy inside. I think the new weatherstrip and window seals will have a lot to do with that too.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:08 PM
tankrsc
Elder User
First off AWSOME job!! I do have a question, the door weatherstip you have it taped, why? I ask because I need to do this to my daily driver and have never messed with weathrstriping befor. I know how to get it off thetruck but never put any back on and it stay where it was supoese to. Again great job on you truck

Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm guessing he taped it for the reason I did on mine. It takes a bit of time for the glue to set up, and top of the weatherstrip will just slowly fall if you don't tape it up. Takes the weight off so the glue can set up better.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:37 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice truck,I like how you made the letters detailed.
I cant do the on"The Ford" cause I have the wrong kind of tailgate.
Very Nice truck,Keep us updated.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tankrsc
First off AWSOME job!! I do have a question, the door weatherstip you have it taped, why? I ask because I need to do this to my daily driver and have never messed with weathrstriping befor. I know how to get it off thetruck but never put any back on and it stay where it was supoese to. Again great job on you truck
Firstly, thanks for the thumbs up!

As for the tape, there was actually some degree of logic to what I was doing. I used the tape to hold the weatherstrip in position PRIOR to using the adhesive. Firstly, to make sure I had placed it in the right position. The next reason, was to ensure that I didn't stretch the strip while I was applying the adhesive. The 3M weatherstrip adhesive is really good stuff, but on a hot day like it's been around here lately, it will begin to set up within only a minute or two, and you can't be messing around with the strip when that crap becomes tacky.

So, once I had the strip all taped into position, I began at the top, and removed the tape over about a foot long area, and pulled the strip back so that I could apply the adhesive with my finger to both the mounting surface and the strip itself. By the time I'd get it applied, it would already be getting tacky, so I'd slide it into position, and tape it again to make sure it didn't migrate. I would then repeat the process on the opposite door, and I would then WALK AWAY. Why, you might ask? To allow the section to cure, and then become set so I couldn't stretch the strip further on the next section. Once cured, I then removed some tape over the next section (one on either side of the cured section), repeated the process, and did again on the other door, and then...you guessed it....WALKED AWAY.

If I was good about it, I could get 3 rounds of applying adhesive done per day on each door. It took me 4 days to get the doors done, but there are no stretches, and the strip hasn't pulled back anywhere along the mounting surface. I then followed behind with a rag and the 3M adhesive remover to get any that I managaed to goop anywhere. I knew I only wanted to do that once, and I'm sure I was WAY too careful, but it came out just fine.

Anyway, now you know my rationale for the tape.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:04 PM
tankrsc
Elder User
Cool thanks now I know howto do mine

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by UTfball68
Although, I do have to rub this in, ol' DC HQ is about 30 mins from my house, so I could just run down there and pick up what I needed, or if I did order something it was there the next day.
You're an evil, evil, man.

Yeah, you're right...I'm completely at the mercy of the UPS Santa, and when he feels like getting things delivered. I've also been at the mercy of my powdercoater, as he's had the little bolts that hold my quarter windows now for the last two weeks (which is driving me up a wall). If I can pick those up this week, I can get the quarter windows installed this weekend. He's also got my drop pitman arm, and the metal backings of my rear bench seat which I'm having blasted and coated.

I've also got pending orders with DC, JBG, and Discountvanandtruck, which I think is somewhere in California. They're sending the front seat that I ordered from them, but that isn't due to ship until the 17th at the earliest (and I bought it two weeks ago). They have to make the seat after you order it. I also ordered 3 yards of black vinyl from them so I could have my rear bench seat upholstered to match the fronts to some degree. The fronts are black leather, but the backs of them are black vinyl (standard procedure anymore, so I'm told), So, I figured since the back seat is a fold down anyway, it'd be best to keep it vinyl.

Anyway, yup, my weekend plans are usually dictated by what I receive during the week, and what my wallet says I can accomplish. To that end, my hopes of firing this thing up by this fall are gone now, as I just can't afford to build the engine the way I want to just yet. So, I'm going to wait it out through the winter (especially since I don't want to take Buford out for his debut in crappy weather), and build it right when money allows. Besides, it'll give me more time to research exactly what parts I want.

Oh, and since you're only 30 minutes away from DC...could you do me a favor and give them a kick in the pants, and tell them to get on the stick with the front grille shells?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
No, no, no...didn't mean anything like that.

I was referring to the issue with Dennis Carpenter regarding their not producing the grille shells for 78/79 trucks right now. I've been calling them on and off for the last 6 months trying to figure out when they're going to go back into production again. They're not big on saying when anything will be produced again, if it's not available.

I've heard rumors that it's due to a lack of quality aluminum, but that's sounds fishy to me. Anyway, there are a LOT of people waiting for them to start putting that part out again. I'm also waiting for them to start producing the drip rail mouldings for my truck, but they're not in production yet either.

So, I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm just griping about parts that aren't even available yet, moreso than something that they're dragging their heels on sending.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by UTfball68
Sounds more like their profit margin wasn't what they wanted it to be so they're offering business to the new lowest bidder, I'm kinda gettin worried that DC is gonna turn LMCish.
That, is a truly disturbing thought.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope not either. DC makes some really good stuff. I kinda got lucky on a grill shell also (73-77). I first called DC about a month ago and the gal that took my order said "ya we have them in stock" after I had specifically asked if they had. So I placed my order and not until late the next day did another person call me back and said, "No we no longer have them in stock right now". I was a bit perturbed at that. Anyway, right after that, I called NPD who luckily had ONE in stock. It cost me $500 and $150 for shipping. OUCH!!! But the thing is beautiful.

I have also gotten pending orders from Broncograveyard also. I wish they would put on their website about things being out of stock or not. I had ordered some brake hoses for my highboy and 2 days after I ordered them, I get the message "pending order". So I called them and the guy told me they were having problems with their brake supplier and he didn't know when they'd be able to get the brake parts. So, I canceled and went with NAPA's. I know I had a couple other things on backorder from them also, so I just found the parts elsewhere and canceled. I've had good luck with the 460swap chassis exit headers though and engine brackets.

But, I do hate waiting for parts. I WANT THEM NOW!!!!! However, if I could afford to just get everything at once I would have done that. Instead I have to wait every couple weeks for the old paycheck to come through and order a part.

Sorry for the long post. Oh and before I forget, Ben you are one Lucky dog to be that close to DC.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Update *09/11/2008*

First, a nod to those fallen, and those that continue to fight the good fight.

Now, with regard to Buford, I haven't taken any pictures lately, but I've made a couple steps in the right direction. I re-removed the transfer case access plate on the floor, and it's currently at the powdercoater. I don't know who installed it last time, but they used WAAAAY too much gasket/sealant, and I had to scrape stuff off that was still uncured...nasty.

The UPS guy also delivered the new front seats, and while they're not in yet, one of them is currently at the upholstery shop with the back bench seat. I'm having the back bench covered to look as much like the front seats as possible. I'm supposed to be getting that back next week. I got the rear seat backs from the powdercoater, so when I get the rest from the upholsterer, I can start to assemble them.

I found the little round clips at the local paint shop for the vinyl inserts in the door panels, so I will be attempting to transplant them onto the new door panels in the next week or so.

My timeframe for acquiring the parts for the motor has moved up! I had a yard sale this last weekend, and someone bought the 351W that I had built for another project (that went nowhere). That brought me about halfway to the budget for building the 434. I also might have a guy interested in getting all my 428CJ stuff, so that would put me about 3/4 of the way there.

I got the heater box with new blower motor and heater core installed after I put in the firewall insulation, so that was another step. Also got the anti-rattle kits in, and finished installing the side windows. I can now lock Buford up! (I know, but that fact got me all excited)

I also got the new seat belts from the UPS Santa. I picked up new retractable 3 point belts for the front, 2 point retractables for the back, and 2 point non-retractables for the centers, front and back. Those will go in after the carpet, seats, and everything else go in....might be a while.

I'll try to get some pictures in the next week or so. Won't look like much progress has been made, but every little bit helps. Anyway, thought I'd drop a note and let you guys know that Buford is still coming along...slowly, but he's getting there.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice truck. im glad its getting put back together.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Beautiful truck! It is nice to see someone take their time and do it right. Buford must be a happy boy.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Arnold Kenyon
Senior User
I was just wondering the other day how Bufford was coming along, been following your build up with great interest. You are doing a great job. These projects can sometimes get put on the back burner like mine has. The bad news is I have done nothing to my truck in a few months, been busy remodeling our 99 year old house. The good news is we will be moving to a newer house, with a 40 by 50 foot shop. Once we get moved the 79 is getting dismantled.

Last edited by Arnold Kenyon; 09-11-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: add pic

Quick Reply: Progress on Buford