1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

EFI Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
f100newb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI Engine question

I have a question that I hope someone here can answer. I am going to put the 01 Cobra engine in my 53. What all would I need to make this work? I have the wiring harness that goes from the engine to the firewall. What else is needed?

Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
My answer may not be complete, but you'll need the ECM that the harness goes to. Also, I think in '01 the transmission is electonically controlled, too, so problems may exist by using a different trans. Your best bet is have the car there beside your truck, and transfer every last piece including the exhaust for the O2 sensor, down to every little widget that a wire goes to. On the other hand, there is a market being started for converting 4.6's to carb and even have a flathead like appearance. This is the route I'm taking after I finish my '48, and move onto my next project....hopefully a late 20's panel. That's all I can offer.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
f100newb
Senior User
Yeah everyone tells me to have the car with me but.... there is no donor car. I have just the engine. I bought the engine with the intent on putting it in my Roush Mustang but decided that I wanted it for the truck.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Well, in that case....I guess the answer lies in how complete your current engine is. What I'm trying to think of, is what makes the 4.6 Cobra motor different from a Crown Vic/Cougar/Tbird/Grand Marquee on the outside. If it's just the innerds that gives the Cobra more life, then I think the mentioned cars would have the rest that you need. I'd have to guess that the power steering pump, alternator, etc... woulfd have to be aftermarket anyway, just to fit in the engine bay. Just throwing ideas out there.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 PM
f100newb
Senior User
Ok maybe I was not clear enough with my post. I have a complete 2001 Cobra engine that I am going to install into the truck. It is complete as in from pan to fuel rails, harness, injectors the whole shebang. I am trying as a novice to understand how I install a engine like this into a truck what has no electrical capabilities at this point in time.

So I guess what I need to know is this.

1. How do I connect the ECU to the engine.

In the Mustang I would connect the engine to the firewall harness that then in turn plugs into the ECU ( I think this is called the Calibration harness?)

2. When I get a wiring harness lets say a 20 circuit. Will this have what I need to install a EFI system into the truck or do I need diffrent electrical system wiring for the harness and ECU?

3. What about the fuel system? The Cobra is a returnless system.

4. Didnt someone here already do this...HELP!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
bememe
Senior User
Well here goes, You will need the computer for this engine as I would assume it would be different from other non-cobra 4.6's. You will need to get the car portion of the wiring harness. You would either make it work and delete unneeded circuits or use computer & other connectors to wire it yourself. You would probably want to use the same trans as the car had in case there are electronic controls of some sort, or if not just so you would have neutral safety sw etc and a trans capable of the hp. Most importantly you would need to know how to wire it ie: what gets B+, what gets B-, wiring the speed sensor etc, etc. Those of us with 5.0 liters have sources as to how to wire the system, I used Motorsports harness and directions for mine. Once you get all that figured out there is O2 sensors, high psi fuel pump/lines, alternator wiring, power steering differences plus some things I've forgotten about. I'm not trying to scare you off just make you aware it is a major undertaking. There is a yellow 60' out there with a 4.6 install, unfortunately don't remember the name and don't see it in the gallery. I would talk to Ford Motorsports or Painless Wiring or some other wiring harness mfr to see if they offer a harness (which replaces car harness) yet for the 4.6. Like I said Ford Motorsports offers a harness with directions for the 5.0. Good Luck and forge ahead.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Just to add...in my '87 Bronco II, the efi harness went through the firewall directly to the ECU. The EFI harness and ECU are seperate from any other electrical system, IE: the lights, ignition, gauges, etc... Which makes it easier to deal with. But this was 1987, and 2001 has gone through some changes, OBDII, etc... So that being said, it shouldn't be impossible, but it is a long tough process. Maybe Ron Francis, Painless, EZ, or any other "street rod" wiring manufacturer has an efi set up that includes the 4.6 which would make your wiring alot easier. Besides the wiring, the fuel lines have to be EFI compliant, or in laymans terms, handle the high pressure. Other than that, it's just another engine that has it's obstacles to getting it shoe-horned into the engine bay. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the problems you will face will be the anti-theft system and that is why many suggest getting the donor vehicle if possible or at least the column. The ECM (computer) will have to be reprogrammed to get rid of the anti-theft so the engine will run without the OEM ignition key system. I plan to install a 2000 Lightning engine/auto tranny in my 56 and will probably go to someone like the Detail Zone to have a custom harness made. There are oxygen sensors and other items that need to be incorporated in a custom installation. I bought my engine/tranny without the ECM and it took me several months checking salvage yards nationwide before I found a wrecked Lightning to get the ECM. I have been quoted from $1200 & upwards for a custom harness to make this setup run correctly in my 56. Since I am still in the chassis fab stage I hope that by the time I get ready to install it the prices may come down. You might also check Ford Motorsports. I have heard they are now doing some work to support the use of the mod motors in streetrod situations but I don't know if that is fact or not. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I intend to do something similar. When I get closer, I plan on reading this.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...250_Truck.html

I figure if I don't get to it by 2016, I'll just make yard art out of the antiquated pieces I have cluttering my shop.

JML

Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
If I can do it you can do it!
I just got mine running.
There is no right way and no wrong way there is only your way to do it.
I can tell you what I did.
I too started with the motor and motor harness and 5spd trans and harness
I bought and Installed the following mustang parts.
radiator
a/c radiator
entire dash heater box and all.
steering colum and shaft.
power steering cooler and hoses you have to reconfigure.
long tube headers.
computer (must be cobra 32 valve).
paid to have pats system disabled.
right side wire harness.
left side harness complete with cobra fuse box.
constant control relay module.
fuel tank,fuel pump driver,roll over switch,complete wiring harness.

that's the bulk of it.
I found It all at wrecking yard's and ebay.
cobra parts are hard to find but you can use parts out of 4.6 16 valve but they may have to be modified.

If you need more detail just ask I know what it's like without help.
thanks keith

Old 01-03-2008, 06:28 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Arrow

F100NewB
What they said above
I transplanted a 5.0L from an '86 Lincoln into my '53 M100 but I harvested the engine, transmission and the COMPLETE Harness from the car.

For sure you are going to want the wiring diagram...then make a couple of copies so when one gets greasy or spilled on you are still laughing

I hope you have the ECM [computer controller] and all the sensors.
With the wiring diagram as your guide, there will be some sensors/circuits you want to delete but don't do it until you are transplanted in the truck and know you can run. If you are missing the tranny as you say as well as the ECM or other major sensors it may be more cost effective to switch to carburation or start with a complete donor. Just my opinion.

I was lucky in that I found a former member of FTE who started his own web-help center for 5.0L transplants and he and his site were incredibly helpful.

You may want to do some advanced searches through Google or whatever search engine you prefer to see what's out there in terms of 411. What you want to do is technically possible...almost anything is! But for me, the time/cost/knowledge ratio has to work for your know-how/wallet/timeframe + family commitments and you should know that part better than anyone.

Aside from the great help here and on the above mentioned site, I had a good buddies friend who is an excellent mechanic who understands the techie manuals, the electronic/computer control technology and concepts AND was a gearhead...he helped us with the last mile...and it's the last mile that will eat up your wallet, time and patience like a mythical monster of gragantuan proportions in my experience.
So, if you've got lots of $$$, smarts and patience as well as tolerant spouse/family whatever, it's all possible. Being real clear-eyed about these kind of decisions is what makes the difference between those that finish a project and those that walk away IMHO.

Have fun and enjoy. Welcome to a great site with a group that has a great sense of humour and a wealth of knowledge and experience.

GW

Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
f100newb
Senior User
Yeah....I am not sure I want to do all that. I think that I will stick with my original plan to install a 390 into it with a c6 tranny. With the swap from the SOHC 4.6 to the DOHC 4.6 into my mustang is ALOT easier and CHEAPER.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:04 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
f100newb , Ditto"s on all of the above ,53 merc put it spot-on , read tech articles on the "stock" set up ,pay attention to the details,don"t be afraid to ask questions,do your home-work,research and go for it !!!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:39 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Id give it a shot based on the advice you got above; if you can ge the harness on the engine side of the firewall, you should be able to wire it from a wiring diagram. Not saying it would be easy but I'm sure you could pull it off, with help from Painless or Ron Francis as stated. There is also a good Ford EFI website.

Go for it and good luck!

Tom

Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Im hearing the 03-04 supercharged models are the Bee"s Knee"s -a lot stronger bottom end ,with an aftermarket charger and a few mod"s ,horsepower in the 1,ooo range ,Geez-o-flip!!Anything in the 10 to 1 power to weight ratio ...that"s alot of HP!!! The security system in the ECU is not impossiable to overcome, Alot of people will agree there is no replacement for displacement ...What"s Bobby and his 500 c.i Caddy say??

Quick Reply: EFI Engine question