1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anyone used a t-bird column

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Anyone used a t-bird column

like one from an 83-87 or so, They have a smallish round cover, tilt, wiper controls, hi-beam switch and ignition on column with tranny selector.

I am kind of leaning this way since:

I can use a ford key
My wiring guy is going to rework the donor mark vii wiring harness so it would be easy to integrate (btw the donor column is pretty much the same except it has no gear selector)
Aod trans linkage should be pretty easy to work up, since I am using an aod.
It looks fairly easy to shorten the column so I can maybe bring it up rather than down.

any thoughts?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I can snap a pic of one tomorrow afternoon if you want me to. It's from a 1987 XR7 w/floor shift AOD. I have it sitting in my garage, but I'm about to hit the hay, so...may have to wait a bit.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:05 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I used a column from a Tbird but much earlier (Early 70's). I have way too many hours getting it sorted out and looking good. If you are paying someone to do the work (I did my own) I would buy an ididit or flaming river made up column. I almost hate to admit it but I have days of work in my column, probably over 40 hours!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
first pic is the column itself.
second pic is the measured length from the end in pic one up to the sterring wheel.
third pic is how the rest of it goes into the engine bay.

It should be known that the steering column lays back at a near 180 degree angle. getting closer to 90 degrees like in our trucks, means the joint should be more like a Borgeson u-joint, IMO.

Attached Images    
Old 01-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
so what do you think Havi, do you see any problems with using the column? I think my donor column is the exact same (except it does not have the shifter) so I can use it to mock up before I spend any money. The other plus with that is all the spare parts and the ignition, with a key.