Modular V10 (6.8l)  

v10 oil leak help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 PM
sir gadget
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v10 oil leak help

2001 excursion with V10 and 106,000 miles. Developed an oil leak after a long trip (approx 500 miles). The oil leak is not the front main seal. The leak is coming from the side of the engine block on the drivers side, towards the from of the motor. I believe there are some oil related parts in this area but I need help identifing what I should be looking for. The leak is pretty heavy when the motor is running but stops when the motor is shut off. I know this is probably not enough info but hopefully it will be a good start.

Derek

Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 PM
jfboy
Senior User
could be a valve cover gasket. that happened to me on a 5.4 v8 truck

Old 12-31-2007, 09:20 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds like where the remote mount is for the oil filter. Clean that area up and then see if you can see where it is coming from. It might be as simple as the oil filter gasket.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 AM
captchas
yes dito for above but also clean off the oil pressure switch and check it. it's right there and a part well known to leakage problems.

if you don't use one use a motorcraft oil filter. they are less known to cause leaking problems over some of the much cheaper branded one's . my wifes jeep will leak with anything other then a mopar filter no matter how tight we make it. same goes for my fords . oem is better all the time filter wise.

sorry guys i have a brain fart as to who makes the ford filter right now and i will admitt that brand is the only after market one that works correctly. and not leak

Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Motorcraft Filters

Happy New Years to everyone who contributes to the V10 Forum.

I always though Motorcraft oil filters. ( I like them and would use nothing else on my V10 ) were made by Wix but I found this article in Wikepedia that says they are made by Purulator.

Manufacturers

Major brands of oil filters available in the U.S. include FRAM (a Honeywell brand), WIX (an Affinia Group brand), Purolator (a joint venture of MANN+HUMMEL and Bosch), AC Delco (a General Motors brand) and Motorcraft (a Ford Motor Company brand). Some brands, such as Ford's Motorcraft and GM's AC-Delco, are manufactured by other companies (i.e. Purolator for Motorcraft) but are generally designed and quality tested by the brand selling them. Many of the brands manufacture filters for a wide variety of makes and models of vehicles. For instance, Motorcraft sells oil filters that fit GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota vehicles, in addition to Fords. The manufacturer usually provides a list of what makes and models they supply filters for.

Denso is also a major global manufacturer of oil filters as are MANN+HUMMEL and Mahle.

[edit] Comparisons

Some have argued that there is a major difference in quality of various oil filter brands, and some studies have proven it. Generally speaking, those branded by automotive manufacturers (such as Motorcraft and AC Delco as listed above) usually meet higher standards without costing significantly more than cheaper-made (and poorer performing) brands such as FRAM or Pennzoil brand. Very expensive brands such as Amsoil, Mobil and K&N perform excellently, but cost a lot more than traditional brands.

Many major auto parts stores (such as AutoZone, which sells the Valucraft brand and NAPA, which sells NAPA Select and NAPA Gold) offer their own brands of oil filters, but these are also made by other major oil filter makers.

Perhaps the largest original design manufacturer of filters in the U.S. is Champion Laboratories, which manufactures at least some of the SuperTech, AC Delco, Valucraft, and many other filters. STP (licensed from Clorox) and Champ are their own brands. Champion was also a major supplier to Bosch USA until Bosch bought an interest in the Purolator company.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 AM
captchas
thanks for the brain fart correction don!

yes ford = wix. puralator ??? they always leaked on my many fords and the wifes jeep.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Shasta69
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by super 6.8
Sounds like where the remote mount is for the oil filter. Clean that area up and then see if you can see where it is coming from. It might be as simple as the oil filter gasket.
Or two gaskets stuck upon each other...

;-)

Old 03-08-2008, 10:37 PM
dmp437
Elder User
Bump to the top as I had the same problem this morning. Oil running down the right side of the oil filter and puddling on the ground while the truck was warming up.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
dmp437
Elder User
Followup to my oil leak; the oil filter had a crack in it about an inch from the bottom. The filter was a FL-820S that was about six months old and was rusted around the crack. The truck had been running about five minutes before the oil started leaking out. The oil was Mobil 1, 10w30.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:27 AM
reddogracing
Tuned
Does the v10 have any common oil leak areas?

I don't get anu oil on the ground, but smell oil burning whne I stop her hard.

My bellhousing is also damp ever oil change, but I am not losing anything measurable from engine or tranny.

Change oil every 3k motorcraft 5w and mc filter, 135k change coming up soon.

I have not checked it out much, I need to get a step ladder or something, it is easier to check the underside then it is the top.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by reddogracing
Does the v10 have any common oil leak areas?

I don't get anu oil on the ground, but smell oil burning whne I stop her hard.

My bellhousing is also damp ever oil change, but I am not losing anything measurable from engine or tranny.

Change oil every 3k motorcraft 5w and mc filter, 135k change coming up soon.

I have not checked it out much, I need to get a step ladder or something, it is easier to check the underside then it is the top.
your rear main seal is leaking. i just did one on the race trailer hauler/RV with V10. it was dripping onto the y-pipe, and thats why you can smell it when you stop, its spilling out of the bell housing.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
reddogracing
Tuned
i will look closer at that area. I am just glad that right now I am not losing any oil to speak of. That area i can get to easy. And if it is there it should show up on the y pipe by now.

thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
reddogracing
Tuned
My truck finally started to leak a little more, so i thought i could find it easier. My leak is coming from right rear (passenger side) above starter.

I can see valve cover, no oil there. Where head and block meet there is oil, but is does not look like it is leaking there, but just getting on it as it runs down from closer to the intake.

I have never had a head gasket leak oil before, so do not suspect that, must be something up there prone to leakage.

Been a mech for 30 years, why is it my vehicles are the ones that come up with these unclear hard to find problems.

I may pull the inner fender monday and hope i can see better. Just thought i would run it by everyone else.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM
mikehm
Senior User
I believe the chances are greater its leaking from the valve cover gasket, than between the head and block. It might not look like its running down the head as its hotter when its running than the block is.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
reddogracing
Tuned
i hope your right. But is does not look like it. Also, the valve covers look like their design would help prevent leaks.

Again, i have yet to rebuild or tear into one, but it looks to me like the covers are flat, and would just keep oil from splashing out. Instead of actually holding oil in like th eold type velve cover did on say a 460.

hopefully monday i can get to looking closer for the leak, and update

Quick Reply: v10 oil leak help