Sponsored by: DP Tuner

First tank of Bio D........Wow

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:38 AM
haulingboat
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First tank of Bio D........Wow

I put fifteen gallons of Biodiesel in the tank this morning. It was B99. I figured I had about ten gallons of Dino D in there to keep from gelling (not that it gets that cold in Texas but it seemed like the right thing to do) and to ease into the transition.

The motor was almost instantly quieter. It also stopped the vibration that made my dash hum while at idle. When I stomped on the throttle the smoke was not black like with Dino D. Pretty cool stuff.

To top all of those benefits I paid $2.90 a gallon. Dino D is selling for $3.15- $3.35 around here.

With a new fill station near the office and few more around town I think I will continue to use Bio.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
01stroker
Senior User
Good stuff! You're hooked now.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Corpus or SA? bio hasn't made it as far south as I am.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM
haulingboat
Elder User
I'm in Houston. Guess I should change my profile to Southeast Texas. I am hooked. I didn't notice a difference in power. The guy at the shop told me I may get a mile less per gallon. The way I see it I am going to same distance per dollar spent. Maybe not as far on each gallon but as far on each dollar.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:24 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Thats great, here in Ohio, the clowns charge more for bio.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 AM
haulingboat
Elder User
There is a new BioD plant here on the ship channel. Article says they will produce between 15 and 20 million gallons of bio d a year. So Corpus and SA should be getting it soon. Austin appears to be covered up with fill stations.

Originally Posted by empiretc
Corpus or SA? bio hasn't made it as far south as I am.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haulingboats

What part of Houston do you live in, and where are you finding bio at. I live in Angleton and would like to convert over until I can build a unit to produce my own.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
haulingboat
Elder User
I live on the north side (Spring) and work on the Northwest side (Jersey Village). Neal's Boat Service on Huffmeister recently sarted selling Bio. Peachleaf Bio Diesel is near the intercontinental airport (exit 8 at Aldiene Westfield head south to Peachleaf street turn right follow the signs to the fill station).

It may be worth your while to come if you can fill a drum. I googled "houston biodiesel" and found a site that displayed all fill stations in the state of Texas. There is a couple of station on the east side inside the 610 loop. Those may be closer for you.

You won't believe the diffrence it makes.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
None up here in Conroe. I have heard there is a place in The Woodlands that has Bio but I have yet to find it. I paid $3.15 for dino this morning.

Where in Houston did you find it?

Old 12-28-2007, 01:03 PM
haulingboat
Elder User
Below is a link to a site that lists all the Bio D fill stations in Texas. Neal's Boat Service on Huffmeister is not on the list but if you are on the northwest side he is the guy to see. Take Huffmeister North from Hwy 290. He about three or four miles up the road on the right.

http://e85.whipnet.net/alt.fuel/biodiesel.stations.html

Old 12-28-2007, 01:09 PM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
haulingboats

What part of Houston do you live in, and where are you finding bio at. I live in Angleton and would like to convert over until I can build a unit to produce my own.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Mike, the closest place for you is American Greenfuels at 6421 Eppes St. (713) 634-0033...talk to Bud and tell him Steve with the big white F-350 sent you. I get fuel from him when I do not have any of my own made up...he was at $2.93 last time I was in there.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 PM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by haulingboat
I put fifteen gallons of Biodiesel in the tank this morning. It was B99. I figured I had about ten gallons of Dino D in there to keep from gelling (not that it gets that cold in Texas but it seemed like the right thing to do) and to ease into the transition.

The motor was almost instantly quieter. It also stopped the vibration that made my dash hum while at idle. When I stomped on the throttle the smoke was not black like with Dino D. Pretty cool stuff.

To top all of those benefits I paid $2.90 a gallon. Dino D is selling for $3.15- $3.35 around here.

With a new fill station near the office and few more around town I think I will continue to use Bio.
Be careful winging your truck to bio. I have been running for a year and a half in 5 different trucks and 3 tractors with no issues. You will want to start off small...say 5 gallons to a tank for a while, then 50% mix for a while before running straight. Bio will clean all the crud out of the tank, lines, etc. thus clogging up your filters. Never did it with mine when doing as I described...I would carry an extra filter or two just in case.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by haulingboat
There is a new BioD plant here on the ship channel. Article says they will produce between 15 and 20 million gallons of bio d a year. So Corpus and SA should be getting it soon. Austin appears to be covered up with fill stations.
I have been looking at the website that lists all the BD plants. I am 5 mile north of the border- real south texas. We are 20 years behind everyone else, so it will be a while before we get any BD unless HEB or Wally start selling it. Hell, if it wasn't for HEB, we would not have E85.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:47 PM
haulingboat
Elder User
Thanks for the advice. I plan on changing the fule filter after 600-700 miles. Anything else recommended????

Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
I would not bother changing your filter until it is due. What alot of people do not realize is there is another filter in the tank that can get clogged...it is above the pickup screen. Just wing it correctly.

Quick Reply: First tank of Bio D........Wow