Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2007, 12:11 PM
New User

eagleridge5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
F350 front wheel bearings

I have a 2000 F350 dually 4x4 crew cab 7.3 with 115K. I'm replacing my rotors with cryo powerslots with hawk LTS pads. I've already put moog ball joints in. Trying to settle the front end down.

Does anyone know how long the front wheel bearings last, whats a symptom if they're in need of replacing, what's it take to replace them and are the hubs usually ok or are their aftermarket hubs too?

Any help to one or all would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Weary of the shakes.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Elder User

mizzitch is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've heard of them going out from 60 to 180k. If you grab the front wheel and there is play, then they are close to done.

I would go with a good name such as Timken, if you do not use the Ford dealer's part.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Posting Guru

dagren99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dagren99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wheel Bearings

When they go you'll also hear/feel like your going over rumble strips right after you hit a pothole or a rough spot in the road. Wheel play is another sign they're gone as long as it doesn't come from bad ball joints. Since your doing the brakes anyway I'd go ahead pull the hub/bearing assemblies - its not that much more work. There is a bearing in the back of the hub/bearing assembly that should be greased/checked about every 55-60K anyway. I don't know of anyone who's ever sucessfully taken one of these assemblies apart and re-greased the bearings. (The hub is a sealed unit)

If they are shot you'll have to get the whole assembly + don't forget to buy the studs - both the wheel & hub mounting studs. They don't always come with them and they can be a pain to get out of the old hub assembly anyway.

When you buy the wheel studs make sure they match what's already on your truck - Ford put two different wheel stud thread pitches out there so you've only got a 50/50 shot at getting the right ones to match your lug nuts to begin with.

DG

MY "Not so new anymore" NEW TOY --- 08 F350 4X4 SRW King Ranch 6.4L

Last edited by dagren99; 12-27-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 12-27-2007, 03:50 PM
New User

eagleridge5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Junior User

jefff is starting off with a positive reputation.
would this cause the u joint to come down and hit on the ball joint? My axle is doing this and I have replaced the seals

2001 F250 diesel 4x4
235,000 kms
Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Posting Guru

dagren99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dagren99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Axle Shaft

Yup - it would. The hub wobbling around = axle stub shaft wobbling. Guess this is another way you could tell that the hub bearings are going. The axle shaft passes through & rides on the smaller bearing in the back of the hub.

GD

MY "Not so new anymore" NEW TOY --- 08 F350 4X4 SRW King Ranch 6.4L
Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Senior User

Mercury45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well i had my needle bearings go out on me after going through deep water with a missing knuckle seal....

replaced the needle bearing on both sides on my 2003 F250 and all was fine - as for the sealed assy, if you gunna keep the truck look into the dynatrac kit

heres a link that shows some tear down:

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/mercury/ball.pdf

kenny
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Elder User

How can you justify the expense of the dynatrac kit esp if you do your own bearing maintenance? The unit bearings are only $250.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior User

pf350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dynatrac setup also saves wear and tear on diff, plus better mpg's. I have been reading up on the kit latley and it sounds great even at 1800.00. I am sure someone who has this setup will chime in. on the other hand you could probably buy unit bearings for the life of your truck for that price also.
02 lariat cc lb, 7.3, bully dog chip, bullydog shift kit, truespeed, 6637, foil delete, zoodad, ccv, aih, mbrp 4" no muffler,derale tranny pan, 6.5 inch lift, 37x13.5x17 toyo, alpine dvd, lightning bolt and gear hood ornament, rear stadium seating, ladder bars
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzitch
How can you justify the expense of the dynatrac kit esp if you do your own bearing maintenance? The unit bearings are only $250.
If you are going to keep the truck for many hundred thousand miles then it can easily be justified. Trucks with larger tires and big diesel engines go through wheel bearings quickly.

Luckily I have not yet had to replace my wheel bearing - but when that time comes I hope to have the money for a dynatrac

As for saving wear and tear on front diff.... i dont see how, better MPG - maybe, all it really does is allow you to maintain the wheel bearings yourself instead of having sealed units.

How can anybody justify the cost of oh so many aftermarket upgrades - we cant but we do it anyway

kenny
Old 02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury45
If you are going to keep the truck for many hundred thousand miles then it can easily be justified. Trucks with larger tires and big diesel engines go through wheel bearings quickly.

Luckily I have not yet had to replace my wheel bearing - but when that time comes I hope to have the money for a dynatrac

As for saving wear and tear on front diff.... i dont see how, better MPG - maybe, all it really does is allow you to maintain the wheel bearings yourself instead of having sealed units.

How can anybody justify the cost of oh so many aftermarket upgrades - we cant but we do it anyway

kenny

I agree for the most part...the dyna trac also makes running auto hubs impossible - so far 179,000 miles my auto hubs have been good and easier than getting out everytime you need 4x4
Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzitch
I agree for the most part...the dyna trac also makes running auto hubs impossible - so far 179,000 miles my auto hubs have been good and easier than getting out everytime you need 4x4
the very first mod i did to my truck was loosing the auto hubs - they left me stradned once when the truck was only very young... I gave up with the auto ones and put manual in.

I dont mind turning the manual hubs, if I know I am going to a bad weather area or there is snow in the forcast i just lock um and leave the transfer case out untill i need 4wd.

I leave them locked in the winter when they call for snow - it hurts gas milege sure but everybody says it makes wear and tear on the front diff if they are locked.

I am sure it does make some wear and tear but these people have to realize that the rear end is always being used too hehe

I will use the sealed assemblies if when that time comes i can get them for a good price. I also think you can get the dynatrac for less then 1800 these days

kenny
Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
bearings, f350, wheel