Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford Superduty vs Chevy HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Let me know if you want me to post pics of the rust on my Expedition. And it starting rusting a year and a half after being purchased brand new off the lot.
What is the paint warranty in Canuck land?

That should be a warrantable item...
Originally Posted by glruff
Boys play nicely
I would give you rep points, but I don't want you overtaking me

Old 01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Fred

I have seen rust on all makes ..But the Chevy's have far have the worst and deeper rust on them..here at least where I live..

I would hate to spend least 30 grand and have the truck rust out 3 years down the road...

I do speak from ether experience or what I see from other owners that have those trucks..

When I had a business that I needed trucks I have had put them through hell and back. I think after owning them over 25 years I have a darn good clue about trucks..Would you agree Fred?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Old Rust Bucket
Elder User
Originally Posted by Monsta
That's silly. The new 6.7L is a monster engine, the axles are huge, the tranny is a 6-speed, the interior (Mega-cab) is gianormous, integrated exhaust brake...blah blah blah. It's a nice truck and the PSD can't seem to match most of its performance credentials.

Read the shoot-out. www.pickuptruck.com
You mean they put a jake on a pickup? The list just keeps getting longer. Don't get me wrong I love the old Fords. But the new ones leave a great deal to be desired. So much so I'll never buy a Ford newer the 96, and when the supply of these runs out I'll switch brands.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Rust Bucket
You mean they put a jake on a pickup?
Yup. space

Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
I'm glad somebody else can enjoy the irony in others posting whose visions might be shall we say be 'tainted' or otherwise 'slanted'.

I think that Ford vehicles are perfect and they should not change a thing. This is obviously the attitude that has landed Ford directly behind Toyota in domestic sales. Keep it up! Good job! You Ford guys got it right on the money! Well I think GM must be falling in the same trap. There losing out as well. Toyota this an Toyota that. Really Toyota had more recalls on there vehicles an problems then you can shake a stick at. Its amazing how people equate Toyota with perfection whenn they have had more serious problems with there vehicles as off late then the competition. Ford has cut llots off sales to fleet an rentals which are not profitable. Trucks are not selling as well as they used to due to the economy
Ford is in business to make money not worry about ranking.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:27 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru

I will have to check my manual for the exact timeline. (5 years or 100K km's - sounds familar ) But if you read the fine print on Fords wonderful corrision warranty, it stipulates that the area of rust must penetrate right thru the metal.

Mine was and still is ( knock on wood ) still to the point where the paint to coming off because of "surface rust".

For the record, I have researched this and it was/is happening to other F150's and Expeditions in the 2000 model year.

Also I have a habit of keeping my vehicles very clean. Hell, I bought a 91 LX 5.0L Mustang new and sold it in 02 and it never had a spec of rust on it.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:39 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford
Ford is in business to make money not worry about ranking.
Unfortionatly it goes hand-in-hand. GM and Ford are learning some hard lessons.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:43 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Ya your right there. Toyota really been a good thing for the autoamkers. Made them step up to the plate.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:44 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sglaine
I have seen rust on all makes ..But the Chevy's have far have the worst and deeper rust on them..here at least where I live..

I would hate to spend least 30 grand and have the truck rust out 3 years down the road...

I do speak from ether experience or what I see from other owners that have those trucks..

When I had a business that I needed trucks I have had put them through hell and back. I think after owning them over 25 years I have a darn good clue about trucks..Would you agree Fred?
I think we'll have to agree to disagree - I respect your input but living in WI my whole life where there is salt on the road 6 onths out of the year I have not seen 1 vehicle that rusts more or faster then any other. Especially the last 10 years or so - It would appear this is 1 area the domestic auto-makers seem to have it together.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru

Where's mine? I'm not in danger of taking over....

Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Just another food for thought. On the new GMHDS that exhaust pipe sticking out in the back off the truck looks like it will fall off with snow an ice building up on there or it will rust out an then break off. So DMAX any problems with your exhaust pipe back there. I think GM could do better. Ha,ha look at the 08 superduties.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:54 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
I think we'll have to agree to disagree - I respect your input but living in WI my whole life where there is salt on the road 6 onths out of the year I have not seen 1 vehicle that rusts more or faster then any other. Especially the last 10 years or so - It would appear this is 1 area the domestic auto-makers seem to have it together.

I tell you what I will next week when I have a moment take some photos of my friends rusted out 2003 Chevy...

What a waste of money on that Truck and he is going to buy a Ford in the Spring after owning GM's all his life.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
I tell you what I will next week when I have a moment take some photos of my friends rusted out 2003 Chevy...

What a waste of money on that Truck and he is going to buy a Ford in the Spring after owning GM's all his life.
I do beleive you have a friend with a rusted out 2003. But I'm sure I could google the web and find pictures as well. I'm sure I could also find a Ford, Dodge, Toyota ....

So we'd be where we were before ...

Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
I tell you what I will next week when I have a moment take some photos of my friends rusted out 2003 Chevy....
And what is that going to prove really? So your friend with the Chevy took care of his truck exactly the same ( ie, washing, waxing, etc ) than your ( or whoever the owners of the Ford trucks you state don't rust as easy ) Ford trucks?

And I'm sure you will be the first one to welcome him to the family......

Group hug!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford
Just another food for thought. On the new GMHDS that exhaust pipe sticking out in the back off the truck looks like it will fall off with snow an ice building up on there or it will rust out an then break off. So DMAX any problems with your exhaust pipe back there. I think GM could do better. Ha,ha look at the 08 superduties.
In regards to GM's 'attempt' to put an exhaust on their diesel application I'm sure it technically functions fine but for lack of a better term it 'sucks'. I've have'nt seen or heard of any issues with it but it's really nasty to look at. It looks like a dam musket! It was only on my truck on very short period of time before I went to MBRP Cool Duels.

Fords exhaust to handle regeneration was way better.

Edit:
If you look at my avatar I think you can see it as I did not have the Cool Duels on at that time.

Last edited by DMAX-HD; 01-05-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Ford Superduty vs Chevy HD