1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

6'' lift question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Epd444
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6'' lift question

I did post this in the offroad and 4x4 section, no one replied. Plus I figured I'll ask the guys that actually have the trucks and know whats up. Here it goes:

Alright guys I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert with lifts and whatnot, I know the average stuff. Now some stupid questions.

This is for my 97 F350

I already got a 4" lift with 36's, looks good but wanna go bigger. Thinkin 6'' lift, 38's or so. I know my brake lines now are kinda tight at some points, so I'm already expecting to extend them. My question is with the driveshaft and pitman arm. I already got a drop pitman arm, I think I won't need to get a different one. But the driveshafts, am I going to have to extend the front and rears, will the angle be too steep?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would think you are ok, std cab is awful short but as long as you get diff shims to reset your angle you will be fine. i run a 6inch on my 250 and i have plenty of shaft left. i am an extended cab but its that that big a difference, especially up front. if you go over 6 inches then i would say yes, you would need longer shafts but with the 6 inch you shuld be good to go with a lift kit and differential shims

Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Epd444
Elder User
Dont laugh, what if i get a extended cab drive shaft, be on the safe side?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 AM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Epd444 if you do decide to go with the six inch lift let me know and maybe we can work something out on you saleing your four inch to me.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:26 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i replied over there!

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
i am an extended cab but its that that big a difference, especially up front.
the front shaft is not affected by body styles (ie longbed, shortbed, crewcab, supercab, etc)

your front d-shaft has a double cardan joint at the t-case so you will be good there (i've had more lift with the exact same shaft). your rear depends on whether or not its a split shaft. if so you are good to go... just drop the center bearing support half of how much lift you have (if you have 8" lift, drop the bearing 4"). if it is a single shaft you will probably need to have it retubed. when/if you do that ask for the thickest wall tube they can get. everytime i build a shaft i am disguested and amazed at how thin it is. i compared my driveshaft tube to my stock exhaust tube and it was VERRY close to the same wall thickness!

just a different train of thought... how are you lifting it more? are you gonna run reverse shackle along with the lift springs?

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 12-27-2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:57 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
umm, my ft shaft is not a double cardan, i only have one u-joint at the t-case. and the std cab trucks are straight shafts, not carrier bearinged. either way you look at it i have a friend at work with a 97 f-350 std cab long bed running a skyjacker 6-inch lift. his shafts are bone stock as is the rest of the truck. he has no problems with it. i can get pics if you need them, he posts on here occassionally. RANDYF350 is his name

Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
umm, my ft shaft is not a double cardan, i only have one u-joint at the t-case. and the std cab trucks are straight shafts, not carrier bearinged. either way you look at it i have a friend at work with a 97 f-350 std cab long bed running a skyjacker 6-inch lift. his shafts are bone stock as is the rest of the truck. he has no problems with it. i can get pics if you need them, he posts on here occassionally. RANDYF350 is his name
huh, strange... all the ones i have worked on have CV at the case from the factory!

why do i need pics? i run 37's with no lift!

-cutts-

Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Epd444
Elder User
Fishman-
I'm gonna lift it more by a new kit. Got a friend, same truck, he has a kit laying around (he's a small time dealer) so Im gettin a new kit.

Caseydudem-
I'm not sure when exactly I'm gonna be doin this swap. If you want the 4'' kit, I can work a very reasonable deal with you. Also got tires, less than 4k on them, awesome tread. Its gonna be hard to do the swap, my truck barely fits in the garage and the cold weather will make it uncomftorable outside. Either PM me, work out a price and stuff.

c00n-
I'm all set on the pic part, thanks for helping though. I'm gonna just see what happens when the time comes.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM
whiteaddiction
Senior User
I have an f350 crew cab that I put a reverse shackle 4" lift and my front driveshaft has popped apart twice now under some load. Am I missing something because I def think I will need a longer drive shaft unless you guys tell me how to turn the dif or clock the transfer case??

Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i dont know why that would be happening, i have a 6 inch and have no problems with my shaft. does the reverse shackle move the diff at all? i heard that the mod will allow lots more sway under heavy abuse situations and can cause excessive foreward movement. perhaps that is what is happening?