Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Tomorrow the RE-replacement begins (Ranger tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tomorrow the RE-replacement begins (Ranger tranny)

I wondered what the guarantee on a trans from A&A (in ATOKA) involved, and when I called them about it - they said it would be sent out to REBUILD IT!!! -It was the only one they had.

That floored me, I tell ya what. But it still has to come back out, and is a chore I am not at all looking forward to.

But I did describe it to them truthfully: "That thing howls louder than Al Gore did after the election..."

It amazes me that they will go to that length to make it right though. I thought there were no longer people in this world who cared about what they did....

I guess I live in a good place. There is hope for this town.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Got a call earlier, they found a tranny that was hidden because people were stealing them for crying out loud.

Supposedly it runs, and was driven for a while by the yard owner. That concerns me a bit, if it ran so great, why was it back out?

Anyhow - I flogged the Ranger (I'm beginning to think of it as the "BANGER") into town and collected it, no ride required.

IF THAT THING IS TOAST, I'm fixing to get crosswise over all of this. And it's getting colder outside.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
It was filled with black crud...

We are looking at one more out of a truck that was rolled, and I will likely put a brand new throw-out assembly (slave and bearing) in it to cancel that possible cause of noise once and for all. This brings the price tag up to $450.oo altogether.

The throw-outs are 95 to 99 bucks no matter where you get them.

I've heard these things will run over 500,000 miles if you watch the fluid level, but somebody made a mess out of this truck.

The only bright side here is that I am learning the truck just like the F100, and piece by piece it is becoming right.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Well, here I go again. The othere tranny was an auto, not a stick. So I flogged the truck into town, got a throw out bearing, at the last minute today I decided to go get the entire slave assembly, and just got back.

#2 tranny has been flushed out, and it's time to go out there and jack her up.

Anybody wants to swing by, I believe I posted a map to the place on here in one of the related threads. Wish me luck.

If things go well, I won't have to use the new slave, but it would probably be better to just install it and be done with that.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM
rusty7983
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you got to get yourself one of the nice older rangers. i like the external slave. my 83 ranger 4x4 has had many a tranny and clutch done to it. been beat up and abused over the years. now its resting awaiting cancer treatment. it would be a fatal case if my wife had her way. but thats not going to happen.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
It worked out - the original slave is metal, and is a direct bolt up to the B trans.

The kicker is that the throw out is replaceable without trashing the entire slave unit.

I would like to retro the grill to the older glass headlight system. I HATE plastic headlights to death and dust...

Old 12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
alabamabuddog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Im home from my little trip. How did all the transmission stuff turn out Dutch?

Is it running?

Old 12-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Not only worked like a champ - I'M BACK TO WORK TOO!

Wednesday I think I'll bag an explorer rear end for the G-II project. Tomorrow I should have the 351W crank miked out, and will know what bearings it will need. The jugs need to be bored and new slugs added though.

So how was "JUNGLE LAND"?