1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Tow Rig!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:06 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford may own Volvo cars, but " (taken from volvo's web site) Volvo trucks are owned by the Volvo Group, a publicly held company headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden. They also own Mack trucks.
Volvo Group's purchase of Renault Trucks and Mack Trucks in 2001 created Europe's largest and the world's second largest producer of heavy trucks with a broad product program. Mack is one of the most well known truck brands in North America while Renault Trucks holds a special position in Southern Europe. Nissan Diesel is one of the world's leading manufacturers of trucks and buses.

Prevost Car, owned by Volvo Bus Corporation, is the leading North American manufacturer of premium touring coaches and bus shells for high-end motorhomes and specialty conversions. Nova Bus, part of Prevost, stands as a North American leader in the design, production and marketing of urban transit buses."

Nice ride though. Drove a VN660 for several years. Thats a VN610 midroof there. Don't really like the looks of them, but man, they have the best ride out there for a class 8 semi.
I have been tossing the idea of building a Peterbily 379 as a tow rig.

This will give him something to dream about

Old 12-25-2007, 05:34 PM
97REDPSD
Senior User
T.J. if your dad needs help I'm Corpus Christi TX let me now.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys. The truck is hopefully heading for Mexico Sunday if the tranny gets put back together by then!!!

Ryan yes the exhuast exits the left side in front of the drive axle. It had a single stack but the stack wouldn't be stay once he get the toter bed built for it cause it will have a huge compartment to set his whole tool box in there. But I think the exhuast will stay mostly the same.

Todd about the change of career. It's just the way us Beggs' folks are. I went from a mechanic to a pastor my dads going from a Mechanic/shop owner to an Orphange adminstrator/orphan caretaker/maintence/mechanic. LOL We just like the big changes!!!

WALJON not sure what tranny it has in it. Thankfully I haven't had to touch it, that was my dads job!

Casey the 03 F-350 7.3PSD would pull the trailer no problem, stopping it would be another issue. The tractor will do it so much better. The truck could stop the trailer without trailer brakes. It will never even know its back there running down the road. You could still do it but the biggest issue is that the pickup can only store so much stuff. When the toter bed get made it will have a complete sealed compartment to put my dads Snap-on tool box which is 6 foot long, 4.5 high and 3 deep. Weights alot! plus there will be smaller compartments for other tools, straps, jacks, and anything else that shouldn't go in the trailer. They will be living out of the trailer and truck 12 months a year. 9 months or so in Mexico and 3 months or so in Michigan/Indiana so other than a few things my dad is leaving with me it will contain every worldly possesion they own.

Anyway, thanks for the kudos I will pass them along!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:46 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Congrats for that BIG rig. I love it. TJ if they come to Mexico and need something, just let me know, and if I can help him, I will. OK?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Thanks Jose. They will be near the city of Chihuahua. Are you anywhere near there?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:57 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No Im south in central Mexico, Guanajuato State, Celaya city. but anyway if they need something from me, Ill be there.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Thanks Jose!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
fordman837000
Senior User
i drive a volvo car carrier and a got 850,000 miles and still runs good has few bugs though

Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
TJBeggs, dropping in here from the other thread and saying hi.
Admiring your parent's new truck and praying the best for them.
Congrats on your new walk with the Lord as well. Last I knew you were fixing Chevys!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Dan I had a change of career a little over a year agao to being a pastor. Thanks for the congrats and for the prayers for my parents! Still work for my dad at the shop on Thursdays (my day off) so I get my fill of repair work.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:04 AM
70T351W
Elder User
TJ I work at a well known but wrongly accussed ministry here above fort worth.
If your dad would want some benevolence material let me know we have plenty and some of it is even spanish (mostly books though).
tony

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
hahah Tim, Dad leave's you only a socket wrench.
"here son, this was my first, treat it well"

And for some reason you cannot do anything to your truck, he took your tools too!

haha.

man thats a big toolbox though.
I'm glad i have a snap on guy. However, i dont have the money.

I do have the snapon marketing managers card from when i sweet talked him at the airport for a job. $$

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

William he didn't take his tool box this time around but he did pretty much empty his box out at least half way. Its really easy to push around the shop before! He did leave my tool box alone though. Not much that I have that he doesn'! I guess when you been wrenching for 40 years (he's in his early 50's!) you get a few tools laying around.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
We got a nice little tow rig as well. Dad has a mid 90's Freightliner with a 425hp 60 series Detriot, pulling his 40' triple axle camper. The camper weighs 15k lbs dry, all we have is 3/4 ton trucks and we had this old semi sitting here..... So we made the semi a camper toter. I cut the rivets holding the 5er plate on the semi and moved the whole plate/ slider assembly back 1 ft so we could turn sharp and not get into the camper. It works awesome, no stopping for fuel every couple hundred miles, not to mention stopping is a breeze now with this big ol truck.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Luke, will the pin on a camper fit the hitch that is used on semi's? I thought the semi pins were bigger than one on a camper.