Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Senior User

Cecil_Stringer is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 F250 4x4 - Front Lockers Question

On a 2003 F-250 4X4.... when I shift the vehicle into 4 wheel drive (on the dash), do I need to lock in the hubs?

Or does it do it electronically?

Or does the vehicle NOT have the ability to "Lock-In" the front?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cecil_Stringer; 12-24-2007 at 12:44 AM. Reason: adding more detail
Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Postmaster

wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.
it locks the hubs from the dash ( it has auto hubs) and you are in 4WD...but it is not a locker .
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...oid=65664&.jpg

its good to have an open mind...but not so open that your brains fall out
Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Master of Strokes

weekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud of
Yah you dont have to get out
Nick PAA#9
08 F-450 KR 6.4 Elite Race Trans, Elite 71mm turbo/ 59mm VGT, ARP, RDP I/C Boots, 5.5 Icon lift, 22.5 AF wheels, OUO traction bars, Alradco Radiator
04 X 6.0 Barter Stage 3 68mm vgt, 190/75's, T-500, Alradco I/C, 05 axle with 4 link and King Coilovers
01 X 7.3 38R, 238/80's, RDP I/C boots, Full fuel system, ARP studs, Comp 910's, T-500
Old 12-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Post Fiend

biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

If your SD has not had any mods and is OEM...then what you have is ESOF (electronic shift on the fly). The hubs should have an "Auto" and "Lock" setting. While in "Auto"...and by turning the switch to 4Hi or 4Lo...a vacuum actuator sends a pulse to the front hubs and engages them. At the same time...an electronic motor shifts the transfer case into 4Hi or 4Lo (whatever you selected on the switch).

You also have the ability to manually set the hubs to the "Lock" position.

Hope this helps...

biz

2012 FORD F250 SD CC 156" Lariat FX4 6.2L BOSS 4x4 4.30s
2003 F250 SD SC 142" XLT FX4 V10 Auto 4x4 3.73s -- Traded
1976 F150 LWB Custom 4x4 390FE NP435 3.50s
Old 12-24-2007, 02:14 AM
Senior User

If I shift electronically AND MANUALLY lock in the hubs, is there any benefit?

I ask because it tends to only spin 1 wheel up front when I get into a jam.

I would have thought that the front would "lock".

Is this NOT the case?

Last edited by Cecil_Stringer; 12-24-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 AM
Senior User

Jim59 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When those front locking hubs are "locked," you are locking the tire/wheel/brghub to the front axle.

Operating the locking hubs manually only help if the automated ESOF system is failing to operate the locking hub. Also, IMO, it is not a bad idea to occasionally manually lock them to spin the components without having to drive in 4 wheel drive.

But, the front differential is a normal open differential ... it is not a "locker." So, you can lose traction and only have one tire spinning away up front.

Last edited by Jim59; 12-24-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim59
When those front locking hubs are "locked," you are locking the tire/wheel/brghub to the front axle.

Operating the locking hubs manually only help if the automated ESOF system is failing to operate the locking hub. Also, IMO, it is not a bad idea to occasionally manually lock them to spin the components without having to drive in 4 wheel drive.

But, the front differential is a normal open differential ... it is not a "locker." So, you can lose traction and only have one tire spinning away up front.
Thanks Jim!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior User

oltrucker is starting off with a positive reputation.
there is a differentual locker you can get for the front axle that is locked electriclly. i would use one of them, a locker in the front isnt a good thing when you are driving up hill and it engages when you dont know it. if the front tires start spinning you will go straight off the road. but being able to control when the front differential is locked in, you wont have this surprise.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2000, 2003, 2004, 4x4, axle, diesel, duty, f250, ford, front, hub, hubs, locker, lockers, locking, super