1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Smoking X

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:46 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking X

Hi all, hope I don't upset anybody by posting this here. I already posted it in the Exursion forum but thought I would post the question to you guys as will to see if any of you had ever seen or experianced this.

I'll give a full account on what I did up to the event.
Vehicle: 2000 X 2wd/V10 110,000 miles. The temp outside was about 30 deg. had minimal ice crystals on the windshield, turned the wipers on high to clear it, which it did after 10 seconds or so. Turned the heat on (fan on med), sat for a minute to let the engine warm a bit then backed out and headed up the street. Just before the stop sign (maybe 1/8 mile), I smelled something funny, then saw smoke starting to come out of the vents, most heavy on the driver side next to the door. Pulled over, left the engine running, shut the fan off and jumped out. That’s when I noticed more smoke coming from the plastic outside inlet vent in front of the windshield. Again, most the smoke was coming from the side of the vent (not the middle). I then reached in and turned the climate control to off and also shut the engine off. Everything stopped smoking within a minute. Checked around but couldn’t find anything. Started the engine back up but didn’t touch the climate controls and nothing happened. Decided to go ahead and drive to 7-11 for my morning coffee and the store to pickup some food. Didn’t turn the climate controls back on until I got home, nothing happened.<O
I'm going back out to try and see what the problem was, but thought I would post a question to see if this has happened to any other X's?<O
Sorry about the boring details.<O
Thanks<O></O>

Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
Did a little investigating and think I narrowed it down.

Here is what I did and found:

Started the engine and turned the heat and fan on high, nothing! Pulled the driver side (outside in front of windshield) vent cover and guess what is under it? The wiper motor! thought hmmm... I'll try the wipers. they work great on high and low, but on intermittent they will stop and go at any given point in the sweep!

So here's a question, could this be a bad wiper motor? or maybe a bad intermittent switch?

Old 12-23-2007, 02:00 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Never had this happen in our superduty but I would guess the motor might be shot. They cant be too much $$$ replace it and see if it happends again

Old 12-23-2007, 02:02 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
sounds like you had some sort of electrical short in that region (either with the motor or switch)

Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
I thinking it was from the motor due to the fact that most of the smoke was coming from the area where the motor is. Also looks like there was a recall on wiper motors back in 2000 or 2001. Not sure if this one was ever replaced or not. Guess I'll have to wait and check with the stealership tomorrow.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:06 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
Went ahead and pulled the wiper motor and sure enough that was it. Picked up a new one at auto zone and it's as good as new!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:13 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Hey what do you know Im an X expert now... lol jk glad you got it fixed happy holidays