1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

By-Pass Engine oil & Transmission Fluid - Help in selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 AM
jwplunkett
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By-Pass Engine oil & Transmission Fluid - Help in selection

Hello all

Currently researching Oil BY-PASS filtration system for BOTH Engine oil & Transmission and wanted to get your / forum members experience / knowledge PLUS recommendation of an Engine Oil By-Pass system --- that if you were to purchase one today which one would you choose & why ?

-And as you all are surely aware many are offered on the open market

-Just to name a few
Amsoil Single
( AMK02 - Red colored unit )
For F250 Model Yr2006 Diesel 6.0 Auto transmission 5R110

Premo By-Pass

NOS Frantz

FleetGuard

Raycor ( OilGuard )

FS-2500 By-Pass

At present I am leaning heavily towards the FS-2500 By-Pass filtration system web link = fs2500.com

As always many thanks for your upfront experiences / recommendations / support in selecting By-Pass filtration system

ADDITION # 1 = I missed adding a statement that the FACTORY external transmission fluid front underneath Radiator would remain --- From what I have read this factory filter only capture the larger particles --- so the reason for my current research of another External that captures the finer particles

John from Colfax NC

Last edited by jwplunkett; 12-23-2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Adding a statement
Old 12-23-2007, 11:58 AM
KSTTAC
Freshman User
id like to know too....anyone?

Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
I'm running the Oil Guard oil by-pass on my truck. It cleans the oil well (according to oil analysis) but does not keep it honey colored like I hoped it would. It still turns black in less than 3k miles. But it is clean enough to run out to 7500 mile changes. If I were to install another one I might try one of Ralph Woods toilet paper filters. The truth is you could probably just change the oil a little more often and do just as good as installing a by-pass. On the transmission I'm running an in-line filter made from a filter base I ordered from Summit Racing. It uses a standard oil filter and isn't a by-pass at all.
Joe

Old 12-23-2007, 06:58 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Any oil by-pass system will work just fine, it''s all in how much money you are willing to spend. Remeber if it sounds too good to be true it probally is, FS-2500 used to claim the "honey color" but have since dropped it from their advertising. I wonder why?
From their own FAQ section:
DOES THE COLOR OF THE OIL HAVE ANY BEARING ON ITS LUBRICATING ABILITY?

None whatsoever. Detergent oil will turn a dark blue-black after it is heated. Non-detergent oil will turn a reddish-brown and most diesel engines will turn oil black in the first few minutes of running time. The only accurate way to determine an oil's lubricating value or contamination level is through formal oil analysis

As far as the OEM tranny by-pass is concerned, the OEM unit is better than you think for the smaller particles. I would quote you a micron size but I am unsure at the moment.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:12 PM
G BOBKA
Senior User
I have Amsoil bypass on my 2000 F350 7.3 and I use Amsoil 3000 5w-30 oil. I used to send the oil off every 5000 miles. To get it analyzed the oil came back fine. So I just add to it. I think I go about 25,000. The bypass filter picks up all the minute particles in the oil. Over the road truck drivers I think run twice that amount, if not more. They've had bypass systems on over the road trucks for years. I'm not sure, but I think those trucks hold about 32 quarts. And that would be very expensive to change every 5000 miles.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:17 PM
G BOBKA
Senior User
Getting back to you on the transmission bypass. I don't have one, but I am certain that someone makes one for your vehicle. I have a transmission gauge so I can keep an eye on it but a bypass. Sounds like a very good idea. I have two of my friends that have already smoked their trainees and my truck is seven years old. It would not be a bad or too late to put one on. Maybe I'll buy myself a Christmas present

Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Dieselsite tranny and coolant filters. While the coolant filter is a bypass system the tranny filter is an inline filter in addition to the OEM in-pan and in-line "toilet paper roll" filter. It uses a screw on canister filter, as does the coolant filter.
I had posted a while ago asking about which bypass oil filter was the best. The answers came back that most were pretty good as long as they filtered down to I think 1 micron or so. The general preference seemed to be the Oilguard system, IIRC, which uses a wound cartridge filter. I will be getting an Oilguard bypass filter and installing it in parallel with the ESP luber system and a oil temp probe that I'll wire in to the tranny temp gage.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:23 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
those t p fiters are a scam, dont use them. nuthing will keep a diesel engines oil from turning black. this is soot and it is totally harmless. dont worry about it. evry diesel i ever owned turns the oil black in a hundred miles. and i have owned diesels for nearly fifty years. by-pass filters are nuthing new,,,i always ran lubra-finer 750 by-pass filters on my big trucks to get better filtration. the last big truck,,550 cat, had a cintrificl filter also. it was neet, wen you shut the engine down, it made a sound like an old dc-3 was flying overheaad.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:25 PM
jwplunkett
Junior User
Talking By-Pass Engine oil & Transmission Fluid - Help in selection

Hello all
-Placed my order for By-Pass filtration system today ( Engine & Transmission )
-After a lengthy discussion with FS2500.com point of contact ( POC ) Randy Fields
-Randy took the time to go over every detail / question that I had
-Now try to find any other Vendor that would do that in today’s fast paced world
-Plus Randy returned my e-mail inquiry
-Again customer focused on satisfying even a small fish like me
-I also appreciated his straight forward approach
-Tell it like it is without all of the marketing hype
-I am a technical type of person and need to view the technical details to back-up the Marketing claims
-Also selected FS-2500 due to fact this is their Core business ( Filtration Systems )
-They started with the heavy equipment buyers and branched into the Diesel market after one of the Heavy equipment buyers processed a large order and desired / requested Randy and the technical Team develop a By-Pass filtration system / product for the 50 diesel Vehicles they were purchasing new
-Also liked the independent oil analysis labs performing same --- NOT in house
-Plus it is NOT based on the Toilet paper or paper towel method of filtration --- its based on a propriety patent filter that they also make in house and have total quality control over --- no passing the buck --- They take in from soup to nuts
-The same filter in universal ( Engine & Transmission ) so don’t have to stock up on different filters. ---- now the Kits ( Engine & Transmission ) are unique to each vehicle --- plus they ask you what oil currently using and provide you a Baseline then implement the FS-2500 and follow the oil analysis program of your choosing --- they have one that offer thru an outside test lab --- but I didn’t get any pressure from Randy if I chose to go with any other Testing laboratory
-As we all are fully aware the automotive industry doesn’t want any consumer type vehicle ( Like an F250 Diesel ) to run without failure --- They are in the business to sell us a replacement vehicle plus to service our vehicles so they desire failures.

-So in closing respectfully requesting all forums members that view this e-mail thread
-To conduct your own detailed investigation comparing all other competitors By-pass filtration systems to the FS-2500 --- based on the technical information I have been able to gather from all offerings I personally believe the FS-2500 is the best as of today’s date
-New advancements will continue to take place
-I point blank inquired with Randy about this very subject
-A year or so down the road if the FS2500 team comes up with a better filter ---will be compatible with the system I purchased today --- The answer was yes the technical team makes every effort to design backward compatible products
-Plus provide enhancements to existing product like the Filler tube return versus the Oil pan
-Then report back to Forum with your conclusion
-In my humble viewpoint we have an investment to protect
-So the dollars spent upfront will provide ROI at resale to potential buyer
-Or if potential buyer doesn’t view the need I will remove system and transfer to NEW vehicle
-Plus if I desire to keep truck and run it well over 250K miles
-I know that I have done all steps to increase my chances of doing so
-Without major Engine or Transmission failures
-Just my two cents worth
-Hopefully other Forums members will benefit from this thread / subject matter
-Its all about our collective sharing of information freely that makes all the difference

Many thanks in advance
John from Colfax NC

Old 12-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by oltrucker
those t p fiters are a scam, dont use them. nuthing will keep a diesel engines oil from turning black. this is soot and it is totally harmless. dont worry about it. evry diesel i ever owned turns the oil black in a hundred miles. and i have owned diesels for nearly fifty years. by-pass filters are nuthing new,,,i always ran lubra-finer 750 by-pass filters on my big trucks to get better filtration. the last big truck,,550 cat, had a cintrificl filter also. it was neet, wen you shut the engine down, it made a sound like an old dc-3 was flying overheaad.
While I agree that maintaining the oil's color has very little to do with the oil's quality or cleanliness, TP units have been around a very long time and work very well (personal experience- one vehicle with over 300k miles and only 6 oil changes)

Old 12-28-2007, 01:34 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
John:

I went through a similar investigation process before I isntalled my OilGuard system a year ago, but not as thorough as yours. I actually purchased the Amsoil unit, but returned it before installing to go with the OilGuard. At the time, I was unaware of the FS2500 system, which I have since admitted publicly that I would now choose if I had to do it all over again. It is what will be going on my diesel Excursion when I sell my V10 Ex.

My OG system is robust and rugged, for sure, and has given me zero problems.... but I really like the larger volume offered by FS2500 (better cooling and more filtration surface area).

Congrats on finding a system that you're really happy with. I'm sure that you've made a good choice and will enjoy the benefits of having it working for you.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:23 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
You can get a larger system from Oilguard, here's the email they sent me when I asked about it...

"Hi Kirk,
The EPS-20-6.0 Bypass Filter Kit can be upgraded to the EPS-60-6.0 for an additional $70.00. This will make your cost $556.06. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Best Regards,

Shelly

OilGuard Customer Service"

This link shows the difference between the two, but it looks to me like the number of the system stands for the maximun oil system capacity in quarts...

http://www.oilguard.com/Other/AppGuide.php

The replacement filters for the EPS-60 are only $4 more than the filters for the EPS-20 but look like they're about twice the size. I don't know how they would size up against the FS-2500, but I'm thinking that they will hold a lot more soot than the EPS-20. The EPS-60 filters are $28 each, what do the FS-2500 fliters cost?

http://www.oilguard.com/Merchant4/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=mtm&Category_C ode=Eps-3

Old 12-29-2007, 06:40 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
daddycat... are you saying that I can simply put the larger EPS-6o filter elements on my EPS-20 housing? If so, I might just have to look into getting an EPS-60 cannister and start using the larger elements.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:22 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F250_
daddycat... are you saying that I can simply put the larger EPS-6o filter elements on my EPS-20 housing? If so, I might just have to look into getting an EPS-60 cannister and start using the larger elements.
I doubt that the EPS-60 filters would fit in the EPS-20 canister since they're about twice as long(though they do look like they might be the same diameter). From the pictures it looks to me like the top(head) is the same on both units and that just the housing that holds the actual filter is bigger on the EPS-60. You may be able to purchase the larger canister body and mount it to your existing EPS-20 unit's head in order to convert it to a EPS-60. I don't know for sure about that though, you'd have to contact Oilguard to be sure.

What I do know is that if you want to order a system you can order it upgraded to the EPS-60 for an extra $70. I just looked and they are having a sale right now, 10% off, so the cost for the upgraded EPS-60 system would be roughly the same as a "non-sale" EPS-20 system. I think I'll order mine on Monday...

Last edited by thedaddycat; 12-29-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:28 PM
jwplunkett
Junior User
Talking By-Pass Engine oil & Transmission Fluid - Help in selection

ingHello all

Missed adding statement on my earlier web forum submitttal
-Another factor that I considered into equation prior to making my final selection of By-Pass filtration system was FS2500.com has been in the Filtration only business ( Core product line ) for 13 yrs
-Plus they make enhancements to existing product line
-Backward compatible new filters in future

Totally dont mean to sound like a sales rep for FS2500 --- but I researched all BY-Pass filtrations systems currently on market and its hands down FS2500 was the best plus had the independent technical data to back it up with

Hope this helps other Forum members

Its all about freely sharing of our thoughts / experiences that make any web forum valuable / powerful .... and I totally find this web forum of tremendous value

Thanks in advance as always for your return web submittals -- both positive and negative --- collectively we need to uncover them all so we can make informed decisions .

Wishing all a great upcoming New Year holiday

John from Colfax NC

Last edited by jwplunkett; 12-30-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: By-Pass Engine oil & Transmission Fluid - Help in selection