General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The 'New' American Dream...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 PM
furball69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'New' American Dream...

"Screw Over Whomever It Takes to Get Rich"

Well, that's one way to look at it. What do you all think?

Hershey's closing upper north american plants to move manufacturing to Mexico.

http://www.achannel.ca/ottawa/news_40738.aspx

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18254930&BRD=2212&PAG=461&dept_id= 465812&rfi=6

Old 12-22-2007, 07:39 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Will they start offering jalepeno flavored chocolate?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:46 PM
furball69
Postmaster
I dunno.

They cited some salmonella contamination and a huge recall in one of the stories as one of the reasons for the move... maybe they were trying to make chicken flavored chocolates.

I don't eat fruits or vegetables that don't come from US or Canada and I certainly won't eat chocolate either.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:58 PM
bczolone
Elder User
I live where they closed the plant here in California a few moths ago. Since i know a bunch of people there and have relatives working there it all boiled down to $. They pay about one tenth the hourly wage in Mexico vs. here.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:11 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

Hershey`s,,,Levi`s,,,Red Rider wagons,,,,you name it,,,they are all leaving the U.S.,,,,I say,ok fine go,,,,but the patent on your product ia a U.S. patent,,,so the patent stays here!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:26 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bczolone
I live where they closed the plant here in California a few moths ago. Since i know a bunch of people there and have relatives working there it all boiled down to $. They pay about one tenth the hourly wage in Mexico vs. here.
This must be the plant in Oakdale, been there many times. So sad.
Heck read the country of origin tags on all the items in Walgreens and Long's drug stores, this country has been sold out.

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 12-22-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:37 PM
bczolone
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
This must be the plant in Oakdale, been there many times. So sad.
That's it.

I did get a ton of thier lab equipment for our schools chemistry lab.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

I love Hershey's chocolate - it has kept me awake on many a long, solo night flights. But, if I can't buy a Hershey's bar made in the U.S. or Canada, then I will find another brand that is. Or I'll buy chocolate that is from Europe. But I won't buy Hershey's made in Mexico.

Sad....

Old 12-22-2007, 09:36 PM
xlt4me
Elder User
Originally Posted by furball69
"Screw Over Whomever It Takes to Get Rich"

Well, that's one way to look at it. What do you all think?
I think your right but what's new about it? NAFTA is afta your job. I believe one of the real reasons for NAFTA was to keep US banks from collapsing. At the time, they had made a TON of bad loans to South American countries. They had to do something to boost their economy's so the loans would not go into default. Sound familiar? Now we have the banks in trouble again from making a TON of bad mortgage loans. This time you have rich Arab countries pumping money into some big banks. I guess its just because they love us so much and want to help us out.

Last edited by xlt4me; 12-22-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:39 PM
88FordF-150
Elder User
Seems to be the new thing, screw our economy, lets just get work done in another country and sell it to the dumb americans....

Old 12-22-2007, 09:47 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corporate America is the main cause of this nation being in such a mess. They build stuff that we don't really need, then spend millions advertising to convince us we need this crap. Then when a product or whatever fails they get us the tax payers to bail them out of trouble. Most never repay their debit. So they have no risks in doing whatever they do. We the tax payers are most likely helping pay to move them to Mexico.
I have been by the Oakdale Ca. plant 100s of times. I lived in Sonora Ca in the 70s.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hershey's is pure Americana........It ranks right up there with Disney World, the Empire State Building, and the New York Yankees....What in the hell is the matter with people?.....

Didn't they try to sell the town or something a few years ago?....

Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahh isn't our capitalist system working just fine? The object of a business, according to the strictest of business standards, is to make a profit,. In todays market it is not only make a profit, but let's make 3000% profit, for example. The business community makes mega profit and the consumer pays more, every year..regardless of where it's made.

As for Hershey's moving to Mexico.. I honestly wonder how long people are actually going to remember to boycott Hershey candy. Give it a coupe months at most and their sales will be right back to where it was. Unless, of course, someone here decides to replace them. But they won't make the same profit... and as time goes on, the board, the shareholders , say "I need a raise" and away we go back into the same old vicious cycle of working toward maximum profit at lowest cost.

Ack! There's no way to win.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
well, eventually there simply will not be the income for most americans to pay for alot of these items anyways....since some china kid or mexican is making the goods and not an american...and teh companies will begin to lose markets that way...eventually...

Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Fordlover55
I honestly wonder how long people are actually going to remember to boycott Hershey candy. Give it a coupe months at most and their sales will be right back to where it was.
Some of us have long memories. Not enough of us do unfortunately. As long as the chocolate they sell in this country is made in this country, I will continue to buy it. But if I start seeing "Made in Mexico" on the label, I am done with them....and to me done means done!

Quick Reply: The 'New' American Dream...