Both Heated seats stopped on 2003 expedition at same time

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 03:04 PM
mdntblu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
There's no such thing as "programming the EATC", regardless of what "BernieO" might have said 5 years ago.
Ok so then what is the issue and how can one go about getting it fixed? It seems like a common problem and it has to be fixable since it's not like it just dies and nothing can be done.

Also found this one the web:

Old 11-30-2015, 06:40 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Just because you found something on the web doesn't mean it's true and accurate. On an 03 Expy/Navi, there is ZERO interaction between the climate controlled seats and the EATC. The climate controlled seats are completely independent of the in-dash control unit.

Now, if you were to find it in the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL, you'd have something to actually go on.

I'm going to take mine to the dealer and get it checked out soon.
Do that. Show us the service invoice (personal information redacted, of course) when they're done.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 PM
mdntblu
Senior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Just because you found something on the web doesn't mean it's true and accurate. On an 03 Expy/Navi, there is ZERO interaction between the climate controlled seats and the EATC. The climate controlled seats are completely independent of the in-dash control unit.

Now, if you were to find it in the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL, you'd have something to actually go on.

Do that. Show us the service invoice (personal information redacted, of course) when they're done.
Took it to the dealer today but they were busy and couldn't get to it until later and I didn't have time to stay. So he said if I bring it by tomorrow morning at 8am they can do it then. He said yes what I showed him is correct. Since the heated/cooled seats is an option on the Eddie Bauer edition they don't have the standard programming enabled and it has to be done separately and since my battery was disconnected for more than 8 hours the programming was lost. At first I thought it was from when I changed my battery but it wasn't disconnected that long and then I remembered it was from when I had my car at the stereo shop and we got a reverse camera, new DVD head unit and overhead DVD player and they would of had the battery disconnected for that amount of time. So tomorrow we'll see.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
mdntblu
Senior User
Dropped it off today. Guy said it will be $105 and if they can fix it in the first hour it will only be $105. They will call me if it's some part that's bad. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 PM
mdntblu
Senior User
Ok I'm happy now. My A/C - Heated seats now function again!!!! The dealer was able to fix them. They said they reprogrammed them.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:38 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
This is good to know.

I'd bet that the tech, if he used his WDS to pull fault codes from the CCSMs, would have retrieved DTC B2477 from each. The WSM defines that DTC as "Module Configuration Error" with the action to be performed as "RECONFIGURE the CCSM. CLEAR the DTC. If the DTC resets, INSTALL a new CCSM."

I also located located TSB 04-26-19 titled "CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEAT DIAGNOSIS - SERVICE TIPS ".

The TSB includes this, I highlighted a pertinent section:
NOTE: IF THE CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEAT IS INOPERATIVE AND A B2477 (MODULE CONFIGURATION FAILURE) DTC IS SET IN THE CCSM, PERFORM PROGRAMMABLE MODULE INSTALLATION (PMI) ON MODULE USING THE WDS AND RETEST. NO MANUAL ENTRY OF DATA IS NEEDED, THE CALIBRATION WILL BE PULLED FROM THE WDS FILE. THE B2477 DTC CAN BE INDUCED BY MOMENTARY VOLTAGE APPLICATION TO THE MODULE, SUCH AS THE MODULE BEING PLUGGED IN WITH THE IGNITION ON. A LOOSE CONNECTION AT THE MODULE, OR A VEHICLE BEING JUMP-STARTED. THE MODULE SHOULD NOT BE REPLACED FOR A B2477 CODE.
So, the take-away is that the individual seat modules have internal programming that can get corrupted and require reprogramming themselves, but it's not the EATC that gets programmed for the solution to this issue.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Rss04
New User
I removed the heated power seats from a 2000 Eddie Bauer edition explorer and put them in my Ranger. I've got the motors working but the heat is not working in either the drivers or passengers side.
I'm wondering if my heated modules need to be reprogrammed as you mentioned above. If so, can the modules be pulled out and reprogrammed by ford as stand alone units?

Wired seats as below
Blk. Ground (heavy)
Blk/wht. Always hot
Blu/wht. Always hope
Gray/ yellow. Ignition hot.

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:46 PM
Gwill1010
Trailering
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdntblu
Ok I'm happy now. My A/C - Heated seats now function again!!!! The dealer was able to fix them. They said they reprogrammed them.

This is an unfortunate load of crap. Anyone have updates on this issue? I guess it's to the dealer I go.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:56 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by Gwill1010
This is an unfortunate load of crap. Anyone have updates on this issue? I guess it's to the dealer I go.
Check around some local garages. I know it's a long shot but snap on and others do seem to eventually get their scanners up to speed and are able to do many things only the factory scanner used to do. The problem is finding someone proficient in running the scanner.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:27 PM
jamoses
New User
Reading this thread, there are people saying that you can/cannot reprogram the seat climate controlled seat modules (CCSM). YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN! I had the power disconnected from my 2003 Lincln Navigator. As soon as it was restored both seat heaters/coolers (It's a peltier device) stopped working. Troubleshot and found NOTHING wrong with any fuses, relays, etc. There was a fault code B2477. If that fault code is cleared, it will not reapear unless commanded to recheck. It is a CCSM module communications failure. The CCSM must be reprogrammed. There is another thread that discusses this using the Next Gen STAR diagnostic device and using the green FORD PCMCIA card. The dealer must download a file to both seat CCSMs. Takes 10 minutes.
What happened during the power loss is that the devices lost their programming. They are not just simple on/off/ relay devices. They have fan speed/ temp monitors/peltier voltage controllers/etc. They're controlled by a chip with a reprogrammable logic chip. Seems Ford has a power loss failure path that I sufferd. Unfortunatly, the Ford dealer here no longer had the NGS programmer since my Navigator is 15yrs old. Their newer IDS and WDS diagnostic tools will NOT fix this problem since the older vehicles no longer get much support. Local dealer tried several times and though I was crazy when I insisted they were not programming correctly. I had to open a support case with Ford Engineering to force the dealer to fix. Ford Engineering put me in touch with the Service Manager (as Vista Ford in Oxnard) for a procedure that FORCED the file to be downloaded to my seat CCSMs. That fixed the problem. It took me many hours with Ford trying to get this fixed. I post here because I want others to be aware that you MUST get Ford to force the file to download to the CCSMs since the newer diagnostics wont work properly. Option B: You can also go to the junkyard and replace the modules with ones that are programmed; I did this and it verified my suspitions that the modules were the problem.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by jamoses
Reading this thread, there are people saying that you can/cannot reprogram the seat climate controlled seat modules (CCSM). YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN!
I didn't get that impression from this thread? What I get from it, is there is no backyard way of fixing it, it is a dealer only thing. Thanks for posting what you had to go through to fix yours, how much did it cost you in total money wise to get it fixed? It cost the other guy $105. I am not counting the cost of time and aggravation.

Just like some engineers and company's manufacture poorly designed mechanical components and machinery, there are many software engineers and developers that do a very poor job sometimes when they are making programming.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 PM
jamoses
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I didn't get that impression from this thread? What I get from it, is there is no backyard way of fixing it, it is a dealer only thing. Thanks for posting what you had to go through to fix yours, how much did it cost you in total money wise to get it fixed? It cost the other guy $105. I am not counting the cost of time and aggravation.

Just like some engineers and company's manufacture poorly designed mechanical components and machinery, there are many software engineers and developers that do a very poor job sometimes when they are making programming.
I was referring to post #15 and #38 (misleading comments). Post #37 is spot-on. The only reason I posted is to make others aware that the WDS system is not correctly downloading the correct software file to the 2003 Navigators. The dealer has to use a set of procedures from Ford Engineering(which I do not have) to force the CCSM to be reprogrammed since NGS system is no longer used. You're probably correct that the dealer has to do this, though I do not know if an aftermarket solution exists that also has access to these legacy Ford software files.
BTW, I also popped the case on the CCSM and took a look. I also have the Ford service manuals and the wiring diagram. (As I'm an computer electrical engineer, I understand the hardware and firmware aspect of these devices. I just don't have the internal module schematics or firmware file. I expect that a Ford diagnostic tool downloads a firmware file to the ECM which sends the file over the single-bit digital serial line to the CCSM. Looking at the inside of the CCSM, there are some discrete components, some power transistors/FETs and a couple relays to handle the high current required for the fan and Peltier solid state heating/cooling elements. This is all controlled by a re-programmable logic array (PLA). I'm guessing that during a battery cycle, there is a failure mode that cleared or reset both CCSMs.
Dealer charged me $125 originally and didn't fix the problem. I had to force them to do it right. The service tech and service rep insisted that they reprogrammed them correctly the first three times. (They didn't).
-JM

Old 08-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Franklin2
There are rumblings in the repair sector. There is a thing out now called RTR or "Right To Repair". It has gained momentum from the farmers trying to repair their equipment with all the electronics on it, and the dealers and the OEM's not being very cooperative when the crop needs to brought in and the machine is down. Not sure if it will get anywhere, but local auto shops, computer repair shops, applicance shops, etc all have this problem and it's getting worse and worse.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Toughjob
New User
Just purchas ed 2003 expedition with " issues "

Originally Posted by fitzfamford
Hi Folks new to the form, I have had this exact problem with my 2003, and I took it to my dealer and for a 150.00 dollars they reset the seat relay. Presto they worked again. Like them to much not to pay the 150 bucks to have them working.
Both heated seats not working, no lights on control switches.
I read that the seat modules may need to be reprogrammed due to battery removal at some time.
How big of a job is it to check the seat wires for breakage?.
any suggestion appreciated.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:42 PM
Franklin2
You can give them a visual once over for any obvious problems or mouse chewing episodes. But I don't think the wiring itself is a very common problem.