1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans Torque Conv Drain Procedure - 5R110 Trans Model Yr 2006 F250 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:53 AM
jwplunkett
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Auto Trans Torque Conv Drain Procedure - 5R110 Trans Model Yr 2006 F250 FX4

Just this evening changed factory transmission pan to Mag-Hytec

Also purchased Mercon SP from local Ford Dealership -- been thru the exercise of whether to use Motorcraft Mercon SP or Synthetic --- I decided to stay with Mercon SP for Warranty.

Draining the factory Pan oil and replacing Tran pan with Mag-Hytec was a breeze

I have a 2006 F250 FX4 Diesel 6.0 - Automatic Trans model 5R110

Now for my question: Haynes manual states to drain the Torque converter for a total transmission oil change ---- so I located the nice handy Factory Rubber grommet bottom front of Transmission and then marked with a grease pencil as my starting reference point --- then manually rotated the engine with wrench on pulley and went full circle and didn't locate the Torque Converter Drain Plug --- Now I viewed several bolts that I assumed held the torque converter cover ---- I believe the Haynes manual is in error as far as the Model Yr 2006 yr is concerned because without doubt NO torque converter Drain plug under vehicle behind that nice rubber grommet that I person would have thought was just for this very reason

Anyway can some one help me understand / procedure for draining Torque converter --- I truly desire to do a quality job and replace all Transmission fluid.

Plus thanks in advance for your patience --- still learning how to conduct seraches and narrow in on earlier forum discussion if their was one --- if you know of one can you help direct me to same

Your experience / guidance is most appreciated and needed

Happy upcoming holidays to all and safe travels

John from Colfax NC

Old 12-21-2007, 08:48 AM
F250tuff
Elder User
It is my understanding that the torque converter for the 5R110 does not have a drain plug, which is why some people recommended the heated flushing technique. The reason for heat is because the 5R110 does have a thermostat in it.

If you check the tech folders, someone did a write-up explaining how to perform your own flush at home.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:35 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
as long as the lubes meet the specs called for by the manufcturer, it wil not void the warrenty.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:05 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jwplunkett
Just this evening changed factory transmission pan to Mag-Hytec

Also purchased Mercon SP from local Ford Dealership -- been thru the exercise of whether to use Motorcraft Mercon SP or Synthetic --- I decided to stay with Mercon SP for Warranty.

Draining the factory Pan oil and replacing Tran pan with Mag-Hytec was a breeze

I have a 2006 F250 FX4 Diesel 6.0 - Automatic Trans model 5R110

Now for my question: Haynes manual states to drain the Torque converter for a total transmission oil change ---- so I located the nice handy Factory Rubber grommet bottom front of Transmission and then marked with a grease pencil as my starting reference point --- then manually rotated the engine with wrench on pulley and went full circle and didn't locate the Torque Converter Drain Plug --- Now I viewed several bolts that I assumed held the torque converter cover ---- I believe the Haynes manual is in error as far as the Model Yr 2006 yr is concerned because without doubt NO torque converter Drain plug under vehicle behind that nice rubber grommet that I person would have thought was just for this very reason

Anyway can some one help me understand / procedure for draining Torque converter --- I truly desire to do a quality job and replace all Transmission fluid.

Plus thanks in advance for your patience --- still learning how to conduct seraches and narrow in on earlier forum discussion if their was one --- if you know of one can you help direct me to same

Your experience / guidance is most appreciated and needed

Happy upcoming holidays to all and safe travels

John from Colfax NC
There is No drain plug in the TC on the Torqueshift, here is the link to the flush procedure.
http://www.truckblog.com/story-582-h...t_transmission

Use Only Mercon SP fluid, and currently it is only bottled by Motorcraft. FYI, the Mercon SP is synthetic.

Also you can purchase the Mercon SP from Diesel Filters Online (FTE Sponsor) for $4.89/qt.

http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/X...-Xt-6-Qsp.aspx

Old 09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dug up an old thread here. I'm looking at adding a mag hytec pan and flushing the tranny. That link to a how-to seems incomplete. It just stops after step 2 which is dropping the pan and replacing the internal filter. Anyone have a complete how-to?

Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I think i remeber reading here somewhere that to get the torque converter to drain, the fluid temp has to be up to atleast 175* before the torque converter will let it go

Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 PM
jwplunkett
Junior User
Talking

Follow-up to your request for Step by step procedure on changing Trans Torque Conv

Hopefully another FTE member can assist you

I do recall reading the procedure

However in my case after reading same decided to go with following procedure also listed and recommended as an alternative

1) Drain all fluid out of system, then measure same
2) Replace trans Filter
3) Install NEW pan in my case and yours it also appears
4) Determine total capacity of Auto Trans via owners manual with the STOCK pan for a baseline
5) Now add amount drained + amount for NEW pan
6) Replace Stock BYPASS Transmission filter underneath Truck passenger side beside radiator
7) Start vehicle
8) Double check Auto Trans fluid level
9) Drive vehicle to get ALL systems up to normal operating temperatures -- this procedure will MIX the old fluid in Conv with NEW
10) I took the extra step of going back to shop and redraining fluid out of NEW Trans pan
-This procedure doesnt 100% replace all Trans fluid
-However its the best method in my viewpoint
-Rather than heating Trans Fluid etc
-Being its Synthetic Trans Fluid from Factory & replacing with same gives me peace of mind
-However it does frustrate me that FORD didnt install a Torque Convertor plug
-Its this members viewpoint FORD doesn't desire a Trans to last they make BIG bucks on repairs of course after warranty expires
-My two cents worth
11) Again measure amount removed
12) During any of the replacement steps I used Motorcraft Trans Fliud recommmeded so NOT to void any factory warranties
13) Once again check trans level
14) Once again drive vehicle to get all to normal operation temperatures
15) Let sit overnight then recheck Trans Fluid in AM when cool
16) Confirm level is at proper level for COLD tran fluid
17) Ever so often as we all should do is check major fluid levels from Time to Time ( Engine, Trans, Radiator etc ) to confirm all is well

If you desire to perform the other method suggest conducting a WEB search on FTE site + launch dogpile.com & Google.com type in key search words ---- click search, then go thru the numerous listings

Hope this helps

Wishing all who view this FTE thread a great one

Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 AM
riggz
Postmaster
Thanks for the writeup. It's pretty much what I expected, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Do you remember off hand how many quarts it took with a Mag Hytec pan?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:31 PM
jwplunkett
Junior User
Talking

I believe it ADDED 7 quarts to transmission total capacity
-Plus the new pan has cooling fins
-Nice drain plug
To pull samples & send off to Blackstone labs for oil analysis
-I would do the upgrade again
Been satisfied with quality / workmanship
Go for it
-My only suggestion is if you aren't already doing same
Begin Critical Fluid analysis on Engine Oil + Trans Fluid
Better to pay for the fluid analysis than be sorry
Catch any problems early on -- before it escalates into major failures

PS: I also added a Coolant Bypass filtration system from Bob Riley ( Dieselsite.com ) + flushed coolant system per detailed directions and Added in EVANS ---- the F250 runs a lot cooler when towing --- again just another preventative maint measure I took

Hope this helps

Great weekend to all who may view this e-mail thread

Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 PM
riggz
Postmaster
So about 16qts? Gasket is reuseable correct?

I already send my oil off for OA and will definately do it for the trans fluid when I do the upgrade. Also already have the coolant filter kit.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:04 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by oltrucker
as long as the lubes meet the specs called for by the manufcturer, it wil not void the warrenty.

Too bad there's only one maker that meets those specs....Motorcraft.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
that method mixes old and new...when i did it i disconnected the trans line at the cooler after changing the filters...u need a special tool to disconnect cooler line...when i did it i borrowed the tool from a ford mechanic...now i think lisle and others sell them...in total i used 20 qts

Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 AM
jwplunkett
Junior User
Talking

The Mag-Hytec Trans Pan comes equipped with a reuable rubber gasket

Suggest double checking your quantity of Tran Fluid stated within your earlier e-mail

I believe with NEW Mag-Hytec pan its more than 16 Qts

You sound like me
-I have bypass filters installed on ALL critical vehicle fluids
-Best to be on the preventative side
-Than HOPE nothing major happens
-Proactive is the way to go in my viewpoint

Hope this helps

John

Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 AM
riggz
Postmaster
Ah ok, I thought the tranny took 8qts stock and the MH pan added an extra 8. I'll get 20 to be sure. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 AM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
stock mine took 20qts

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Torque Conv Drain Procedure - 5R110 Trans Model Yr 2006 F250 FX4