Fuel Pump Thought

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel Pump Thought

As a precaution measure to prevent getting stuck out in the middle of
BF Egypt should your lift pump go out would it have been a benefit to have installed a small electric fuel pump controlled by a switch between the fuel tank and the lift pump?

Would the electric pump push fuel past the inoperative lift pump?

Maybe the lift pumps don't just quit unless they are pumping fuel overboard in which case it would be of no benefit at all.

This is just a thought that I have been kicking around for some time and thought I would throw it into the ring.

Rog

Old 12-21-2007, 02:48 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe it would get you home, but the mechanical fuel pump on your truck has a low pressure section and a high pressure section. You would probably be at a much lower fuel pressure than what you need to run normally. It seems like something that might work. The other consideration is if the lift pump could pull through the electric pump. Maybe you could install the electric pump in parallel with a check valve?
Sounds like a good chance to go by your local neighborhood auto parts zone store and buy a pump, try to blow some compressed air through it, and then return it.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:47 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
You maybe able to draw fuel through a non operating electric pump but in high demand situations it would very likely be too much restriction.

All our T444Es have the mechanical fuel pump, I have never had one leave a bus load of kids stranded. I have replaced one that leaked but have never had one cause the engine to stall or start hard.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:04 PM
dinikin
Senior User
I have not seen transfer pumps going out like a match, seems they develop a leak over a perioud of time and then just drip.
I blame ULSD and add stanadyne or DieselKleen.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bodabdan
Maybe it would get you home, but the mechanical fuel pump on your truck has a low pressure section and a high pressure section. You would probably be at a much lower fuel pressure than what you need to run normally. It seems like something that might work. The other consideration is if the lift pump could pull through the electric pump. Maybe you could install the electric pump in parallel with a check valve?
Sounds like a good chance to go by your local neighborhood auto parts zone store and buy a pump, try to blow some compressed air through it, and then return it.
Great Idea, AutoZone is on my S**t list anyway
Rog