Fuel Economy Tricks, Tips, and Tweaks ? ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2001, 11:54 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-11-2001, 01:51 AM
charlez
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for any tricks for improving economy. Let me know what you have tried and how much it helped. I have a 93 F150 Extended Cab Shortbox, 300 I6, 5speed, 3.55gears, 4x4, exhaust is: all stock except the muffler has been replaced with a pipe.(still has 2 cats). Also what kind of differance is there in fuel economy when driving at 75mph as compared to 55-60? I have only had this truck a few days so I haven't had time to experiment. I just replaced the air filter and plugs. Please share your knowledge

Old 01-11-2001, 05:30 PM
noble
New User

If you take the cats off it will increase your fuel economy by leaps and bounds. I have a 93 reg cap long box 2x4 with an I-6 300 and we took the cats off and I get about 25 highway and 17 city. I will tell you the sound of the exhaust will change a lot. If you want a nice sound outta your exhaust I would recoment going with Glass packs followed by a quiet muffler. It give is a throaty tone that is really neat! I love mine.
Hope that helps.

Noble
93 Ford
F-150 I-6 300
2 wheel squeel

Old 01-12-2001, 10:59 AM
insect2
Freshman User

Your truck is designed to operate with the catalic converters in place. If you remove them you will not improve anything.

To improve MPG first install all new plugs and wires, and make sure timing is correct.

Check and or replace the air filter.

Check tire pressure and make sure their all up to at least the minimum pressure. You can put about 5 psig more in each tire to help MPG.

Your MPG at 70 is much worse than 50. The reason is the HP required to overcome wind resistance. The very best MPG will be achieved at about 40 MPH or 30 MPH. But 50 MPH is not bad.

Check wheel bearing grease and make sure the wheels /brakes are not dragging.

Do not have a "lead foot". Start slow and steady. Spin the wheels and waste gas.

Start and keep a log book and record every fill up and MPG for each tank full.

Old 01-13-2001, 06:10 PM
trouble
Senior User

Insect is correct and i might add , if you have to have a safety inspection it would not pass, nor would it pass a emissions test
Trouble

Old 01-20-2001, 08:59 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic

Noble,
My truck is similar to yours. Did you run two glasspacks (One off of each side of the manifold) then into a single muffler, or did you run two into one then the glasspacks, then muffler, and finally did it effect your computer at all. I don't have to worry about inspections.

Trail Rider