Loooooooooong start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loooooooooong start

the wife has a 99 Expedition with the 4.6, here lately I have noticed extremely long starts, like 10 seconds of cranking and then the engine will catch and fire off. New coilpacks and wires 20K ago. truck has 125K on the clock. Injector cleaner run through 5K ago. scanned, and no codes. Is this an ongoing problem that may have a simple fix.
I am a diesel guy now, and have not fooled with a gasser much in the past 10 years. so I am kinda rusty on this long start thing.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Slightly depress the gas pedal when you try to start it. If it fires right up, you have a bad IAC (Idle Air Control).

Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like the check valve in the fuel pump is bad and it is taking a bit to get fuel back up to the engine. Next time you try to start it cold, turn the key to on for a few seconds, then off. Repeat this about 4 times and see if it starts any faster, if so it is the fuel pump check valve.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Joe, if the IAC was bad would this not set a code? Scanned with a cheap scanner, but have Auto Engineuity under the Christmas tree, just waiting on the 25th to open it

LX, I just replaced the whole fuel system on my 7.3,(Fass pump, fuel bowl delete, removed all original fuel lines, replumped with larger lines ) I know we are talking apples to oranges, but is the check vavle in the pump itself? Is it a frame or tank mounted pump? Got any diagrams? I have not actually been under my wifes truck(spend too much time on the Super Duty) but do have a lift avail. if I need to drop the tank and replace the valve if it is in-tank .

TIA

Old 12-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
No need to steam open any presents, the IAC won't set a code.