6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

opti-lube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
opti-lube?

I know a few guys where going to try this stuff and report back? anyone? bueller....

Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 AM
3000 FPS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought some put it in but have not driven the truck enough to realize any difference. Also gave a bottle to my neighbor. I don't think he has driven enough either to see any difference. I do not know If I will actually see a difference in the performance of the truck it is more of a prevetive measure for the injectors making sure they have the proper lubrication for the fuel. From the spec sheet comparisons I think I will stay with it.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Dwinkie
New User
just my opion but I feel that the biggest cause of injector failure is not really lack of lubricity but lack of pressure. try it on your car fill it right up with oil but don't let oil pump turn it won't matter what kind of snake oil you run you won't get far. having made the mistake with my 03 of not changing fuel filters often enough,cost me around30 injectors and 2 fuel pumps, not like the old cat engines run out of fuel sputter til last drop fill up prime system and off you go no harm. , once again jmpo fuel press gage is the very best thing for your injectors better than any additive. these babies if the fuel press drops its already doing damage long before you hear it starve

Old 12-24-2007, 11:10 AM
3000 FPS
Elder User
Well Dwinkie the opti lube is just preventive maintenance just like using a good oil and changing it regularly for the sake of the injectors. I also think that a fuel pressure gauge is good to have for the same reasons. I believe in this forum there are threads about running the fuel out or low on pressure and that it will hammer the injectors to death. My feeling is that all these things work toward keeping our trucks running good and that is the point is it not.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Dwinkie
New User
point is indeed to keep the beast running good, I just don't see what opti or any fuel lubricity additive is preventing. kind of like say powerup so slippery that they could run engine without any oil, but i am not planning on running any of my stuff without oil. they cant hurt but mostly they prevent my bank account from filling up

Old 12-24-2007, 06:04 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,467 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel does not come from the refinery with the recommended lubricity. The distributers have to add chemicals to boost the lubricity to the minimum standards set forth by the government. Even these requirements are not to the lubricity standards of the engine manufacturers and the fuel system manufacturers - hence the addition of optilube, biodiesel, etc.

If you can afford it, it is good to be conservative and add treatment chemicals. I personally do not think that the standards set are necessarily the best for your trucks and I do not think the distributers get it right 100%. If you are worried about your pocketbook, biodiesel costs pretty much the same as fuel and you get the lubricity gains (.5 - 1 gal per tank).

Other than lubricity, additives can:
demulsifies water (be sure and NOT use an emulsifier or one with alcohol)
prevents bacteria growth
cleans fuel system (removes varnish and other deposits)
prevents gelling in cold weather (reduces the pour point)
increases cetane level
stabilizes fuel
protects against corrosion
reduces smoke emissions (helpful to EGR systems).

I wouldn't compare the use of fuel treatments to thinking an additive can replace oil, it just isn't relevant.

Last edited by bismic; 12-24-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Dwinkie
New User
you know everytime there has been a change in diesel specs there has been a huge scream of not enough lubricity(not to say that opti and others can't help) but most people in each of these spec changes ignorantly and happily just filled their tanks and off they went. they didn't know they were supposed to have problems and they DIDN'T. could be a little bit of hypochondriac in us related to our trucks, you know fixing problems that either don't exist or are not nearly so bad as some additive manufacturer would have us believe. just witness the # of oil additives for every one thatclaims to have "doubled fuel mileage,power engine life I could probably find someone with that mileage, power life etc who just keeps it tuned up and well maintained. now in the case of say a gas engine that carboned up for any of several reasons(carb set rich, lots of idleing, cold plugs, bad thermostat etc )that stuff you poured down the intake really did help, but it wouln't fix your carb or thermostat. on the other hand if your car was tuned up and running good you wouldn't see any improvement at all. hey if a guy thinks about it there are plenty of pre low sulfur diesels out there burning ultra low, if we believe the additive guys they shouldn't even make it out of the parking lot but they just keep going and going. merry christmas you all

Old 12-25-2007, 11:16 AM
3000 FPS
Elder User
Well you are right adding a lubrication to the fuel is not for everyone, but for those of us who are concerned about an injector that is entering fuel straight into the cylinder at over 3100 psi through a tiny nozzle want to try and make it last for the next 150,000 miles. The information that bismic gives I believe says it all.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:29 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Once again "To each his own" and whatever you are comfortable with and can afford. Merry Christmas to all and good luck in the New Year.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:44 AM
TheFist
Tuned
I've used opti-lube for a few tanks now. Can't say I've seen any difference at all. I wasn't expecting to though. What it supposedly does for the truck isn't something I'd be able to visually see or anything I'd notice.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:47 PM
RDJ184
Postmaster
i sell opti prod for my buiss but those are small eng never tried for the big stuff in my buiss its one of the best

Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I can finally respond to this thread. I've used over a gallon of opti-lube XPD over the last 4000 miles. I've kept a mileage log since the day I bought the truck. I've had several highway trips as well my normal mixed city driving over the same routes trying to drive as consistently as possible. Prior to the XPD, I ran Diesel Kleen every tank. When I first started using the DK, I noted about a 0.8 mpg bump in mixed city driving. I don't know the bump in mileage with DK for highway use as I started using DK before I put any highway miles on the rig. After looking at my log, I can say that I didn't see any gain in mileage with the XPD. However, I didn't see any loss or drop in mileage. The XPD maintained the gains I had experienced with DK.

With that said, I didn't buy the XPD for mileage benefit. That would have just been an added bonus. However, I do think I'm getting a mileage bump as it maintained the gains I saw with DK. I bought it based on its lubricity properties exhibited by wear scar test data on another thread. It was the next best thing for lubricity behind bio-diesel.

With that said, I would use the bio-diesel with DK for the cetane boost. Unfortunately, there are no bio-diesel distributors remotely close to me. So, it's XPD for me for the time being.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I am lucky to have a biodiesel supplier about 5 miles from my house. But with the increased price (.30) more a gallon and the cold weather I am only running b-5. I buy 5 -10 gallons of b-100 at a time in 5 gal. jugs and mix accordingly. with my 33 gallon tank 1.65 gal. of b-100 makes b-5! the truck definetly runs smoother and quieter but I have seen no diff. in mileage, but Im sure the higher cetane and lub. properties is going to benifit me in the long run!