Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Posting Guru

bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.
riding in the bed

hey guys, does anyone know if its legal to ride in the back of a pickup with a shell on it? i used to do it when i was a kid but idk if its legal anymore, i know an open bed is illegal...but i was just wondering...thanks
Old 12-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Jäger

Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.
I recall those days as well.... never thought about how unsafe it actually was though!

It's illegal: www.aidoann.com/pickup-ticket/codes/cvc-23116.html

Edit: The shell makes no difference, if there are no seat belts/safety restraints then you're violating the law.

And: www.health.state.ok.us/PROGRAM/INJURY/updates/pickup.html

One other issue could be exhaust fumes but I don't know if they could cite you for that.
'05 F250 Lariat CCSB 4X4 6.0 - Sold

Rest In Peace, Steve P. You are missed.

Last edited by Kep4; 12-18-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Posting Guru

bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.
thanks man, that second link was quite informative! and interesting to see how people died while riding in the beds...but looks like i wont be doing that anymore!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Jäger

Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.
Yes, that was most eye opening for me as well. Seems a lot of us got very lucky doing things like that back in the day.
'05 F250 Lariat CCSB 4X4 6.0 - Sold

Rest In Peace, Steve P. You are missed.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Yeah, I remember when it was legal to ride in the bed of a truck with a shell or a camper, as long as there was a means of communicating between those in front and those in the back.
Yet, it was legal to ride in the back of an open pickup with a full rear non- sliding window.

Go figure.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Postmaster

Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.
One has to securely Mount a Rear Facing bench seat w/ the proper restraints, i.e. 2-point or 3-point seatbelts.
Blue '58 Mercury M-100 Panel 223 I-6 w/ M-O-M
Black 1893 Henry Ford Quadra-Cycle (replica)
My Replies Are Not Meant In An Offensive Way.... Ever, They Are Merely.... Straight Answers or Comments
Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Posting Guru

godblessmud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Im not from around wherever yall are from around but up here in Snohomish County, WA its legal to ride in the bed with or without a canopy as long as the cab of the truck is full. You dont need belts or seats or anything, perks of the job when you live in a farming community.
I doubt that helps you but i felt it nescesary to chime in anyways
Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter

Tags
bed, camper, county, florida, legal, pickup, ride, riding, shell, snohomish, truck