Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 AM
New User

kinnr3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
how to remove expedition rear axle?

hi,I have a 97 ford expedition that I need to get the rear axle out to change a leaky seal, I have the cover off and the spiders out but the c clips won't come out, is there a special tool I need or something??any help would be appreciated, thanks, ron
Old 12-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Senior User

anfo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not sure I follow, push the axles in and the clips should basically fall into your hand. You removed the center pin correct (right in the center of the diff, its held in by 1 short small headed bolt )
Old 12-17-2007, 10:51 AM
New User

yes, center pin is out, push axle in and c clips do not drop out, the spiders on the axle seem to be spring loaded since it is a limeted slip diff, I didn't know if there is a special tool to do this or not? or if anybody had a trick to it, thanks, ron
Old 12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior User

orleec is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnr3
yes, center pin is out, push axle in and c clips do not drop out, the spiders on the axle seem to be spring loaded since it is a limeted slip diff, I didn't know if there is a special tool to do this or not? or if anybody had a trick to it, thanks, ron
Rotate the axle a bit, the back of the studs are hitting something preventing you from pushing it in all the way. C-clips does not require any special tool to remove, they should release easily if you have the axle all the way in. BTW, if you will replace the lock-bolt for the pin, don't get the NAPA one, it's the wrong one (bring it with you for comparison), you're better off getting it from the dealer. Because of NAPA catalog error, I was forced to reuse mine but I used medium grade thread locker.

I did both sides and replaced the parking brake shoes for just a little more work while the diff is open. Make sure to use correct 'goo' to prevent leak (I used the wrong one and had to redo it for leaks), super-black permatex worked the next time around for the pumpkin cover.

Good luck

Good luck.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior User

Trucker22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Axle

I believe Orleec is correct. I had to pull one axle due to leaking seal. The C clip came out easily but we struggled for an hour to get it back in. Then we discovered the head of the studs on the axle plate was hitting something on the brake backing plate. Just rotated a very little bit and we were able to get the axle in a bit more and the clip went right in. So it's just an interference that won't let you get the axle in far enough for the clips to fall out.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 AM
New User

got them out, thanks for the info guys, it just took a little finessing to get them out with a big screwdriver, and I dropped the carrier off at my mechanic to put the spiders back in, thanks again, ron
Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 AM