Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Posting Guru

scottman70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scottman70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchymist
Well, lets see....with the cost of diesel fuel lately - V10@13 MPG & $3.00gal = 23 cents/mile; 7.3@17MPg & $3.40/gal = 20 cents per mile. So, @ 3 cents/mile, 3000 miles = $90.00. Just about pays the difference in routine maint, no? And we haven't mentioned the initial cost of the diesel vs V10. And the '08 diesels arent all seeing 17 mpg.......Just some thoughts........
Here we go again with the diesel fuel costs more vs. mpg argument? Come on paying .30 cents more you will still save money driving the diesel getting higher mpgs. blah blah blah...... I say the diesel is more fun to drive, tows better, accelerates faster, get better mpg's, and can be programmed to gain 100hp and 200 ft lbs. of torque, which you cannot do with a programmer on a gas motor.......All of those positive attributes of owning a diesel are aside from the $$$ issues.........
Who cares if the V-10 Ex is cheaper to buy, you get what you pay for!!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Elder User

dc3655 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Right now I'm in the market to get an Excursion because we're outgrowing the F-250 Powerstroke. I found a V-10 today that is roughly $9k less than a comparable diesel and told my wife that we should consider that because it was so much cheaper. I was blown away by her response: "Why would you want a gas Excursion? You couldn't even pull big trailers with it, not to mention that it won't be so much fun to drive and it will get horrible gas mileage!" I guess I've trained her well in our 2.5 years of marriage!!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:39 AM
"Mifflin Clay"

alchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman70
Here we go again with the diesel fuel costs more vs. mpg argument? Come on paying .30 cents more you will still save money driving the diesel getting higher mpgs. blah blah blah...... I say the diesel is more fun to drive, tows better, accelerates faster, get better mpg's, and can be programmed to gain 100hp and 200 ft lbs. of torque, which you cannot do with a programmer on a gas motor.......All of those positive attributes of owning a diesel are aside from the $$$ issues.........
Who cares if the V-10 Ex is cheaper to buy, you get what you pay for!!
Well, ..."methinks you protesteth too much...".....no argument intended, I did label it "just some thoughts"... And V10's are good for smoking out hot buttons....
'08 F350 Scab SRW V10 w/ 4:10
07 Gulfstream Prarie Schooner
'05 Escape
' Passed the exam today! I am now a licensed instigator!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Senior User

BigFord74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnedin82
Hello folks,
I am new to the board, and looking to purchase a 2000-2003 diesel Excursion.

Can anybody out there give me an idea what kind of mpg they're getting in city driving (non-towing) with the V10. I'm looking for a 2000-2003 Excursion, and am trying to decide on the V10, or 7.3L diesel. Most of my driving will be short run city errands.

Thanks,

From the looks of it, it looks like this has become a diesel/gasser argument again. From what i'm reading he's not asking which is better and all the same garbage. He asked what were the MPG's we were getting with our V10 X's in town driving. So he could make a decision between the V10 and the 7.3.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Elder User

whjco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFord74
From the looks of it, it looks like this has become a diesel/gasser argument again. From what i'm reading he's not asking which is better and all the same garbage. He asked what were the MPG's we were getting with our V10 X's in town driving. So he could make a decision between the V10 and the 7.3.
Kinda makes you reminescent of the locker room in junior high school . . . . . .

BJ Lexington, KY
Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Junior User

kidwagon is starting off with a positive reputation.
I get almost exactly 10 miles per gallon around town on every tank. I can get as much as 15 for freeway driving, and I get almost 9 towing my 7000 pound travel trailer mostly highway. Not the best mileage but I love my Ex.

Ryan

By the way, I have a 2000, 4wd, V10 with about 90,000 miles on it.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Posting Guru

Downriver Thunder is starting off with a positive reputation.
My first V-10 got around 10.6mpg. The motor that went in last week is getting 13mpg. I'm a happy camper now.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Junior User

Cactus Jack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Our mileage really depends upon who drives it. We have a 02 4x4 Limited w/the V-10. When my wife drives it she gets 9.8-10 mpg city, and 14 hwy. When I drive it I get 12 city, and 15 hwy. I can't convince her to lay off the pedal. I love diesels and have owned them in the past, but I/we do not haul very often. As such, the price of the diesel engine, and fuel makes the V-10 the economical best choice for us. We just returned from a 1,000 mile trip, and burned through lots of gas. However, towards the end of the trip I turned to my wife and said "I don't see us ever going back to a smaller family vehicle" she agreed. Right now we just have 60K on our 02 Limited 4x4, but when the day comes and it needs a new powerplant I am going to look really hard at the Cummins conversions.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:34 AM
New User

damnedin82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you all for the pros, and cons of both engines.

I do have one question for the V10 experienced. Can you burn 87 octane, or do you need to burn 89, or 91 due to the weight of the vehicle (or while towing)?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:39 AM
"Mifflin Clay"

alchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to beholdalchymist is a splendid one to behold
Designed for 87 ....I don't use anything else....
'08 F350 Scab SRW V10 w/ 4:10
07 Gulfstream Prarie Schooner
'05 Escape
' Passed the exam today! I am now a licensed instigator!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Senior User

BigFord74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I"m with Alchy
Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior User

FordCrusherGT is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my '00 with 94,700 miles on it, I burn nothing but 87. My standard city cycle (which involves a good sum of back road driving, and about a 16 mile one-way commute to work) rings in at right around 11.7 mpg. The MPG computer seems to actually be quite accurate on my truck.

For highway driving, I seem to get between 12 and 14 mpg. However, I live in north-central PA so it's rather hilly, and that hurts the mileage. If I was driving in a flatter area, I would probably get an extra couple mpg on the highway.

I'll avoid getting in on the gas vs. diesel bit except for this comment: My 2000 Excursion V10 Limited cost me roughly half of what I would have spent on a comparable diesel. That price differential buys a whole lot of fuel.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Elder User

1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold
Always have used 87. it runs great on it.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2003, 4x4, 68, 68l, 68mpg, excursion, excusion, exursion, ford, gallom, gallon, hot, kind, miles, mpg, running, v10