2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke spark plug, porcelain removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

The truck was bought used! It had 60K miles of someone elses driving, and who knows what kind of gas....

When it was bought, the other 40K miles was running good gas(shell, cheveron, etc...). And a couple hundred miles ago, I did a decarbon clean up.

I soaked this plug and another over night, and soaked them more before I started to take them out. The one I got out was covered in carbon, which felt like the kroil softened it up, but there was also RUST. The rust looked like nothing was even put on it.

I sprayed Corrosion X(the best product I've ever used on rust before) in a hope to get the rust broken up, but seemed it didn't work.

About this tap extractor. This might be the best thing I could do if I could find one. Any idea where? I will be searching, but if someone finds one, by all means, please let me know! Is there some name brand/branch store that would carry these?

I don't want to wait a week for shipping!

Last edited by MBBFord; 12-18-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
96f150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MBB, Keep at it, wish we were closer, as I'm sure we'd be there to help out!. Here's a far fetched thought, there is no way to use jb weld on the end of the broken tap is there? Just a thought

Old 12-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Flashback
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi MBBFord,

Sorry to read about your truck, I checked with my Uncle who is the only person I know that has tap extractors, he has several types but the one most likely for you to find is called a Walton Tap Extractor Set. I do not know which store you can get them though. He works at a machine shop and they order them through the company.

He mentioned when you start turning the tap out to use plenty of lubercation and take your time. He was really surprised the you broke a tap taking plugs out.

I'm going to have mine done at the dealership, but I have an inside edge as the shop foreman is a close friend. And his opinion when I told him about your problem was to have the head removed. If you where having problems with one your going to have them with all of them.

Again sorry I could not help more.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:00 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
MBB: Sure don't want to put salt int he wound here but I have read of a few folks that went 100K or futher even could not get the plugs out with the heads on the bench they were completely seized in the heads due to the difference in metal types so they had to buy new heads, in short u may not want to expend any more money until u get it into a good shop???

Old 12-18-2007, 01:24 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I have found a couple places that can get the tap extractors by Walton, and one place about 1:15 minutes away that has it.

I would like to get the tap out, and I can easily get the plug out myself, or have someone do it, but they will not touch it now with the tap in there.

Also, IF I get this one out without removing the head, the hell with the rest of the plugs. They can stay for all I care.

Flashback, thanks for the info, if I can get ahold of one I'll lubricate the hell out of it.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
MBB :my 2 cents, make sure you buy a good tap extractor.Check your broken tap how
many flutes it has and buy accordingly.taps comes with 2,3 or 4 flutes soo are the taps extractors.reading this thread your broken tap was probably Walmart's quality ,too bad ,but don't panic it will come out with a tap extractor.
I work 24 years in a machine shop (machinist) broke hundreds of taps and from what I read here and the "situation" your broken tap is in it will come out with right tools and proper procedure.Don't buy Walmart's tap extractors or taps.
Don't forget to buy another quality tap from the store you 'll get tap ex. if you still want to remove the rest of the plug.let me know I'll try to guide you on that.few tricks might help.I'am sure you'll make it.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM
bomber468
Junior User
Spark Plug Issues

Don't bother with buying an extractor for these plugs. There is a TSB from Ford on how to remove both broken and whole plugs. Link to this TSB is: https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...php?tsb=06-5-9

There is a "special" tool and method to remove them. Hope it helps you out.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:26 PM
littlewillie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MBBFord
About this tap extractor. This might be the best thing I could do if I could find one. Any idea where? I will be searching, but if someone finds one, by all means, please let me know! Is there some name brand/branch store that would carry these?

I don't want to wait a week for shipping!
Check with your local mobile tool people. Snap On, Mac, Matco.
I feel for you on what your going thru. There's alot folks everywhere trying to help you get thru this. Alot of good advise, but you are the one that has do the hands on. I look forward to the happy ending on this one.

Willie

Old 12-18-2007, 04:41 PM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by bomber468
Don't bother with buying an extractor for these plugs. There is a TSB from Ford on how to remove both broken and whole plugs. Link to this TSB is: https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...php?tsb=06-5-9

There is a "special" tool and method to remove them. Hope it helps you out.
I don't think the Rotunda tool will work with the broken off tap in there.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
Originally Posted by JimTex
I don't think the Rotunda tool will work with the broken off tap in there.
I agree no way,but might be usefull for other plugs

Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone feel like posting a good photographic cylinder head swap tutorial? I'll do it if I have any heads to pull, but the salvage folks I work with normally just buy running parts trucks.

This plug breakoff scenario is going to happen again
and again
and again,
so if there is a good photo reference with tips and tricks it would help the victims. For what they save they can buy all the tools and an engine hoist if needed. (I mention the hoist because I wouldn't bother doing heads in the truck. Working on a stand is worth pulling the engine.)

Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 PM
KevinAH
Senior User
My .02, I couldn't get it done with the snap on tool. Thats when I gave up.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:49 PM
KevinAH
Senior User
My .02, I couldn't get it done with the "snap on" extractor tool. Thats when I gave up. The Rotunda tool was not available for purchase at that time so I towed it to the dealership.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
The tap was a Irwin tap, not wal mart, and a good tap from what I've used them for in the past.
The extractor I picked up is a Walton(pretty good from what I understand), and when I tell you it was HELL to get a hold of, I'm not joking!

I will attempt to get the tap out tomorrow, and if it doesn't work, I'll find a way to tow it to a shop(dealers are stupid around here), and the shop could take it two weeks before the dealer, and cheaper, but still with quality work.

I really appreciate all the concern and help, it has been great to get all these ideas and comments, and I will keep you guys informed on what works, and how deep of a hole there will be in the wallet when all is said and done.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 PM
KevinAH
Senior User
MBBFORD, I would use a lot of caution with other shops. I took mine to a shop that I completely trusted. They have done work for me in the past on many vehicles from exhaust, brakes, bearings, fuel injection, etc ( on work trucks). They were not capable handleing the sparkplug job because they had tools that were inadequate and couldn't get their hands on the exact tools Ford would use. I know that this wouldn't just happen anywhere and I know that some shops are very capable--I would just ask a lot of questions and be very comfortable with the experience of the mechanics. This mistake I made caused me an additional $225.00 for no completed work (just broken plugs) and a $300.00 tow bill to get my truck to the Ford dealer I should have taken it to in the first place. I'm with you though that this should NEVER happen to anyone, it's an f-ing spark plug change, duh!

Quick Reply: Broke spark plug, porcelain removal?