Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Canadian National Chapter > British Columbia
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

British Columbia British Columbia
Join Chapter, Leader: Zip

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 AM
BC Chapter LDR

Zip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputation
Thumbs up Shed fire

So about a month ago I had a fire in my shed. Roof and top plate was burned pretty good. Insurance adjuster has been great to deal with.

The restoration people came in and did a estimate for repairs and cleared all the crap from my yard.

The estimate to repair the shed to it's former glory was $11,554.90. That is to repair not rebuild. So while I am discussing this with the adjuster I just throw out what if we don't want them to rebuild. She told me we have three options.

Option 1 - Have shed rebuilt
Option 2 - Take $6500.00 and run
Option 3 - I mentioned that we had talked about wanting to put in a garage. I figured this was not an option. Was I wrong. She told me if I build a garage she could give me around $9300.00.
I was thinking I could put in a slab and water tight building for around $20,000.00. Well was I in for a shock. I called Home Harware in Pentiction and asked about packages. The price I was quoted was $4799.99 for the basic package (this includes doors, windows and shingles).

Looks like I may be getting myself a garage. By the way the size is 24x24.
Chris,#12 BS'er/Official Slackmaster #7/AVIDEST WINTER HATER
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Zoodad Mod, Blue Spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, Tripple Gauge Pod, Scangauge II, Leveling Kit, Straight Piped
Old 12-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Senior User

Randy Pederson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check into the price of the pad. I've found it tends to be the highest cost.Also, get the price on the garage with at least a 10 foot ceiling or you'll be kicking yourself later!!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 AM
Posting Guru

greythorn3 has a good reputation on FTE.greythorn3 has a good reputation on FTE.greythorn3 has a good reputation on FTE.
well wouldnt you know it, somthing good came froma misfortune! glad to hear it, merry christmas man

Ray
Old 12-14-2007, 03:16 AM
BC Chapter LDR

Zip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Pederson
Check into the price of the pad. I've found it tends to be the highest cost.Also, get the price on the garage with at least a 10 foot ceiling or you'll be kicking yourself later!!
Good advice and I have done both. Have not found out about a price on the pad yet but have some numbers to call. I am going to see the inspector (only in town on Wednesdays from 10 -12. I want to find out what I need in the way of a pad or foundation. As for the 10 ceiling, that is what I would like and the garage supplier said it would add about $200.00 or so to the basic package. I don't know how much room I would have trying to get my truck into a 7' high door. One concern I have is the overall height with a higher ceiling because I am limited to 16' in height. I have no idea how tall it will be. Another thing to look into I guess.

I am trying research this as best as I can to limit suprises down the road.
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Zoodad Mod, Blue Spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, Tripple Gauge Pod, Scangauge II, Leveling Kit, Straight Piped
Old 12-14-2007, 03:18 AM
BC Chapter LDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greythorn3
well wouldnt you know it, somthing good came froma misfortune! glad to hear it, merry christmas man

Ray
You should have seen me doing the happy garage dance across the parking lot after I got the quote for the package.

Even the insurance adjuster says its a no brainer.

We were pretty bummed out after the fire. Lost almost everything inside. Then of course we got to thinking about all the insurance company horror stories. Our adjuster has been nothing less than fantastic. I have nothing but praise for the way we have been treated the whole time.
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE

Last edited by Zip; 12-14-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Senior User

Randy Pederson is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you talk to the inspector you could ask about an allowance/exemption to let you go higher.I think you could probably even go 12ft and use a9or10 ft. dr. It usually depends on the height of your house and whether it will look okay to the neighbours.Most places around here the regs. say it can't be taller than your house.Also you might look into putting in-floor heat for efficiency and this needs to be done with piping and insulation before the pad is poured.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:34 AM
BC Chapter LDR

Height variance. That's a question I will have to write down so I don't forget to ask. I know it would not be as tall as the house. Thanks for that one.
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Old 12-27-2007, 12:00 AM
BC Chapter LDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Pederson
When you talk to the inspector you could ask about an allowance/exemption to let you go higher.I think you could probably even go 12ft and use a9or10 ft. dr. It usually depends on the height of your house and whether it will look okay to the neighbours.Most places around here the regs. say it can't be taller than your house.Also you might look into putting in-floor heat for efficiency and this needs to be done with piping and insulation before the pad is poured.
The inspector said the neighbors would be the ones to complain if it was too tall. He told me that here they measure from the eve to the peak and measure the height at a point between the two.
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Man you must have had one hell of a shed for it to be worth almost 12 grand!

A good fist fight never hurts anyone... except my opponent.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 PM
BC Chapter LDR

Shed's still standing.
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Old 12-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Posting Guru

greythorn3 has a good reputation on FTE.greythorn3 has a good reputation on FTE.greythorn3 has a good reputation on FTE.
so if your neighbors complained would you have to tear it down?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Thats amazing its still up!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Postmaster

MARTYSTOWRIG is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MARTYSTOWRIG is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes, I knew a Guy in Illinois that had built a Barn 40X40 and his neighbor sold his house. The new owners had the lot Surveyed.... Guess what.... he was 2' too close to the lot line. His neighbor turned him in and he had to have the barn Reduced in size.(cheapest option).
Kargo Master Pro II Rack
Cobra 75, Lariat trim, BFG A/T T/A
original Crown Society Member
Old 12-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Posting Legend

Thats a dirty trick. I mean a law is a law, but thats cutting it pretty close.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Posting Guru

what the law for HEIGHT? i mean as long as you follow the height law you should be ok no matter what it looks like right?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Canadian National Chapter > British Columbia