The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

The tractor thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 PM
scrapyardking
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tractor thread

Ive noticed latley that alot of people in here are interested in tractors, lawn mowers ect. So I thought we could share what we have in here.

I myself like craftsman mowers because they are cheap and parts are cheap and easy to find, plus they take a hell of a beating when you ride them through the woods.

So what about you guys?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Uhmm for round the house weve got a John Deere 16hp 2 cylinder lawn mower
on the farm weve got 3 International Harvester rigs, im not sure of the models but 2 combines and an old IHD powered bulldozer. Also got several other Cat dozers. Probably about 4 Cat Graders spread out over all the properties too.
Got another 2 tractors, both Deere's, and 3 Kubota excavators, and supposedly we are getting a new excavator soon but i dont know what its gunna be yet.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got two peice of crap pushmowers that were in the shed when i bought my house. I don't even think the one runs. When i really don't want to pushmow (bad allergies) i borrow my father-in-laws john deere

Old 12-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Daniel5.0
Senior User
Tractors...my specialty. My dad and I restore JDs and work on whatever comes along (we seem to do a lot of work on...ahem...the orange ones) . The first pic is me on my '37 B that I tinker around with...pull it when I can. Second pic is the '49 B my dad and I spent...2? or 3? years restoring. It would have won a few trophies, but my dad coordinates that show...that wouldn't be fair, right? Anyway...last picture is my '36 A. Obviously, it's a long-term project...o well...

We also have...'37 A, '45 B, '47 B, '51 B, '68 110 (mower) and my grandpa has a '44 H. It was my great-grandpa that start all this tractor "mess" when he bought the H in '46.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM
zpmps2
Senior User
Hey daniel50, when you bought the trailer, did it come with the tractor buried to it? It looks like you just hooked your truck up to it and pulled away! How long has it been on that trailer before yall bought it? Thats a damn good start.

Taylor

Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Those JDs are awesome. What kind of engine is in it? I dont kno if this counts as a tractor, but i run an exmark zero turn.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Fordenthusiasts
Tuned
Those are some nice tractors Daniel5.0. Out at our farm we have 4 tractors all John Deere. One is a 1944??? john deere G, one is an 820 with a dozer blade on the front, a 5010, and a 4430 with loader. We have a john deere 140 garden tractor (boy has that thing taken a beating and it is still faster than most new ones). Me and my dad have thought about restoring the G to run is parades and take to shows, but haven't found the time or money.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great thread idea! I have a 2005 John Deere 4310 32 HP diesel compact tractor with bucket loader, 5' MX5 brush cutter, 6' power angle Curtis snow plow, bach blade, box scraper, landscape rake, seed spreader, and a few other odds and ends. I use it all the time on the farm and love it. It's a 2005 with 340 hours on it. Next is a Deere 160 lawn tractor with a 42" snow plow and Kawaski 16 HP engine. I just finnished restoring it. I might turn it into a gardern pulling tractor by spring. I don't know. Then I have a Husqvarna 1842 lawn tractor with a 42" deck that isn't running now. It's the next project. It was free, so I took it John Deere is my life. Everything I own says John Deere on it. I've used the typical grey Craftsman 12 HP tractor a lot too and like them. I've used a Deere 2950 on another farm. That was a tank of a tractor. 22 forward gears. I've used compact Kubota tractors. I've used a l,ot of zero turn too. Deere 757, Scag 27 HP gas, and Scarg 35 HP diesel. A few others here and there. I want to get an old Deere Model B or something around the 1940s era to restore when I can find some time and money.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Drew2010
Senior User
well i cant get my pictures to work, I have a 727A Zero Turn with a 54 inch and an older 245 with a 48 inch. Also one of the jobs i do provides an x485 with a 60 inch and a 318 to mow with. I also have the John Deere 10 cart. John Deere 14sz self propelled push mower, John Deere weed whip and a Stihl blower. Me and my dad have 4 John Deeres A 1960 435 with a GM (i know a GM) but its a two cylider two cycle diesel. A 1958 420 Utility. A 1944 B. And a 1956 70 Standard. The 435 and the B are painted and showed. The 70 i just got done with so ittl get painted sometime and the 420 is the bush hoggin tractor right now. Ill try to get pictures soon.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:19 PM
scrapyardking
Elder User
Hears the old sears I use to cut the grass. Only payed 5 dollars for it.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:42 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
JD? Pshaw, if it ain't red, leave it in the shed. I got a '49 Farmall Cub that it currently down for the winter for an engine rebuid (first one since the 60's). I run a C-2 48 in belly mower that eats pretty much whatever gets in front of me. But it's got a tiny 4 cyl thats about 60 CI so it lacks the digging power for multiple plows or a disc bigger than a couple of feet. It can however pull a wagon filled with two cords of red oak. All it ever gets to do now is chop up tumble weeds with the bushog, but at least I took it to college with me

One day I'm gonna finish out the set with a Super A or C, then a big M or H. I think my garage could hold one finished and one being worked on.... and my lawn could use a nice (yes, I swear it still runs) ornament.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:03 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
I've got a craftsman 16.5 horse riding mower, its about 10 years old and beat to hell.

For push mowers I've got quite a few, my favorite is a Troybuilt with a 7.75 horse B&S. All the other units are junkers I drug home on garbage day, I either scrap them or fix them up to sell at a garage sale. I've got a shed behind my garage piled with mowers, mostly ones that run. I've got 7 Lawnboys in the garage that run, and a pile of about 13 that I harvested for aluminum.

Theres about 20 bucks worth of aluminum in a lawnboy, I grab everyone of them I see.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by scrapyardking
Hears the old sears I use to cut the grass. Only payed 5 dollars for it.

Thats well worth five bucks! Especially the hood

Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Daniel5.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
Those JDs are awesome. What kind of engine is in it?
Most JDs before 1960 used the horizontal 2-cylinder design, with the pistons on their "sides" (like a Porsche or VW Bug) but both pistons are forward, not opposed like a boxer-style engine. The crankshaft is 90 degrees "wrong", going left-to-right (tranverse). Why? Well, JD got into the tractor business in the 19-teens by purchasing the Waterloo Gas Engine Company, and that's how their model, the Waterloo Boy, was setup. The advertisements touted fewer moving parts, easier maintenence (I'm sure even texastech would rather adjust a JD clutch than a red'n), no "change in direction of power"...all true to a certain point, mostly just marketing flap. However, having only two cylinders meant bigger pistons and longer stroke, giving the old JDs their legendary torque.

Is that all and a lot more than you wanted to know? Kinda got carried away there...

Anyway, I mentioned my great-grandpa and him starting us on the tractors, then forgot about the picture. This was probably 3 or 4 years ago, four generations of my family got our late-styled JD Bs out and took a picture. Left to right: me, my dad, my grandpa, my great-grandpa.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:54 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah the thing I hate most about the Cubs, As and Cs is splitting it to get to anything behind the flywheel. That stupid little 5 inch 'access' port to the clutch is useless, and to touch the tranny I have to be prepared to spend some time digging the poppet ball from the shifter out of the drain plug. But the Cultivison setup is still my favorite thing about those models.

Ya'll want to talk rider mowers.. well I used to have two Snapper ride ons that were ok just went through a lot of blades hitting things I shouldn't have, but I prefer a ride-behind just because if I need to I can jump off and the mower can pull itself up the hill with 165 lbs less on it. Push mowers are all the same; always basically trash. I get either Briggs an Stratton or something with a Tecumseh engine just because the engines seem to hold up longer. They always die in a big hurry though and never make it more than a season or two before they give up.

Quick Reply: The tractor thread