To the Pros, Vacuum, ignition, cooling

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the Pros, Vacuum, ignition, cooling

Hey all, I'm just about to wrap up my Ranger 302 swap. I'd like to start the truck this weekend, but I need your help. My setup is a carbed 302, 0 emissions.. not even a PCV valve.

First off, Vacuum lines. Brake booster to the back of the manifold, carb to Vacuum advance, what about under the air filter bowl do I have to hook up Vacuum, if so where? Is there any other Vacuum hook up to worry about?

Second, Ignition. I bought a Pertronix HEI (One wire hook up) Distributor I want to install it, but the directions suck. The motor currently doesn't have a distributor in so I can't mark for # 1 cylinder location, Where is that on my distributor? Also can I use my 12V positive off the solenoid on the fednder?

Last, Coolant lines. What hose from the Heater core goes to what hook up on the water pump?

Thanx so much in advance, this will help me save a whole lot of time.

This is the best source for info.

Madmike33

Old 12-13-2007, 01:03 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm no help for the vacume lines, but I can help you with the distributer. You need to start with number 1 cylnder at top dead center, on the compression stroke.
Install the distributer, place the number one plug wire at the spot on the distributer cap that is over/where the contact for the rotor. So if the rotor is pointing in a 12 o'clock position, that's where you'd put you're number one plug wire.
Hope that helped.
Bob

Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Forgot about the hook up.
You can use the hot/power wire from the stock coil to power the new HEI. I have the same set up on my 79 400m
Bob

Old 12-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Originally Posted by ubereal2
I'm no help for the vacume lines, but I can help you with the distributer. You need to start with number 1 cylnder at top dead center, on the compression stroke.
Install the distributer, place the number one plug wire at the spot on the distributer cap that is over/where the contact for the rotor. So if the rotor is pointing in a 12 o'clock position, that's where you'd put you're number one plug wire.
Hope that helped.
Bob
Thanx, About the # 1 position though. When I drop in the distributor, isn't there a specific place the Rotor should point at? What I mean is if I were to put in and pull out the distributor multiple times, wouldn't it be possible that the rotor goes to a different position everytime? I thought that there was fixed place to align the rotor in the distributor, when installing.
Other than that its fairly clear, "+" from solenoid, and #1 wire over rotor position.

Thanx.

Madmike33

Old 12-14-2007, 10:07 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
As long as the distributer sit's fully into the block you're fine. Mark the cap to the same position that the contact part of the rotor is pointing to. That spot there is where you want to place you're plug wire for number one cylnder.
You may have to turn the distributer either way to align them up perfectly, but that should get you going.
Bob

Old 12-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
Thanks a bunch, all this time I thought Distributors had one position to sit in and that was it.

My life just got a whole lot easier.

Thanks again.

Madmike33

Old 12-14-2007, 09:04 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Does it run?????
Bob

Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
Nope, I'm in the final steps before I "hopefully" hear the beast run for the first time. Hopefully Sunday. Things like the distributor are a few important factors I had to figure out before turning the key.
Now that I understand drop it in, and wherever the the rotor ends up thats going to be my #1 wire... I'm happy it's not more complicated than that. So I guess I can help the rotor along and somewhat choose a location for my number 1.. good to know.
You mentioned you had the Pertronix set up also, did you install the O-ring? I think I remember reading that Ford didn't need the O-ring.

Thanx a bunch

Madmike33

Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
No I didn't, but I do have a small oil leak at the dizzy.

Bob

Old 12-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
Thanx for your help, I tell you the V8 really tighens up the engine compartment in such a little truck...LOL !! I wonder what's going to break first?? LOL!!!

Mike

Old 12-14-2007, 11:31 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
FYI - you DO need a PCV valve. It is, technically, classified as emissions equipment in service literature, but it doesn't do anything emissions-related. It is solely for your own benefit. Its purpose is to keep the inside of your engine clean and free of blow-by that slips past the piston rings and contaminates the oil even in a healthy engine. If you don't use one, your oil is going to get nasty and your bearings will suffer. Furthermore, not having a PCV system builds up pressure in the crank case which can cause gaskets to leak.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 AM
HemiEater
Postmaster
the cap should be marked #1....thats where you want the rotor pointing when you drop it in. I think it's around 1:00 .

It don't make any difference until someone else works on it and can't get it working, cause they are putting the #1 plug wire in the #1 hole in the cap.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:46 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
The "aftermarket" HEI distributer I put in my 9 didn't have anykind of markings on it at all. A replacement of factory parts usually will.

Bob

Old 12-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Originally Posted by fmc400
FYI - you DO need a PCV valve. It is, technically, classified as emissions equipment in service literature, but it doesn't do anything emissions-related. It is solely for your own benefit. Its purpose is to keep the inside of your engine clean and free of blow-by that slips past the piston rings and contaminates the oil even in a healthy engine. If you don't use one, your oil is going to get nasty and your bearings will suffer. Furthermore, not having a PCV system builds up pressure in the crank case which can cause gaskets to leak.
Allright, I'll probably use one then, I was going to use an oil breather instead for crankcase pressure. Either way it's not that hard to hook one up. I wasn't sure about it's negative side... now I know

Thanx

Madmike33

Old 12-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Originally Posted by HemiEater
the cap should be marked #1....thats where you want the rotor pointing when you drop it in. I think it's around 1:00 .

It don't make any difference until someone else works on it and can't get it working, cause they are putting the #1 plug wire in the #1 hole in the cap.
Unfortunately Ubereal2 is right. This is actually what started my post, Pertronix didn't feel it was good practice to mark for #1 on the cap. I checked a while back and nothing. My not knowing that I could point the rotor any which way started all of this. Every other Dizzy I've ever played with was usually OEM and had some sort of marking.

Thanx guys.... best source info.... FTE!!!

Madmike33

Quick Reply: To the Pros, Vacuum, ignition, cooling