2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 PM
stratus225
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker Stereo

I got my "new to me" shaker 6 disc mp3 player today and installed it into the truck. Everything works great and having the mp3 player is great, its brandmotion compatible as its from an 05 and on Brandmotions compatible list. The only problem is that the head unit doesnt "see" the factor dvd player. Does anyone know if this is something that needs to be programmed by Ford. The connections are all good and there is an auxilliary button on the unit, but it just says "no aux input" and goes to FM.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
what is a shaker stereo?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 PM
stratus225
Senior User
one of the many Ford stereos that are used. This one was out of a 05 mustang.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 AM
benningstspeed1.0
Senior User
the mustang doesn't have a dvd player, so it can't read a dvd

Old 12-11-2007, 07:31 AM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
When you installed your "shaker" stereo, did you also install all the factory amps that make it a shaker stereo? If not, you got ripped off for a factory MP3 stereo. They are available in all Ford vehicles. If it were me, I would have put a nice aftermarket stereo system in it with the module to control your factory DVD.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:31 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
only the ford radio will control the ford dvd (can buss communications)

unfortunately, each year has a different software rev and one model year radio will not work with another model year dvd. I don't know if the shaker has the same software level as the other radios, even for same year.

Stratus...did you know that your factory dvd plays mp3's
if that was your only need, you are all set
you may want to get an F150 audiophile of the same model year as your dvd
if you wanted good sound and a sub output too

Ramb

Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 PM
stratus225
Senior User
Originally Posted by rambunctious
only the ford radio will control the ford dvd (can buss communications)

unfortunately, each year has a different software rev and one model year radio will not work with another model year dvd. I don't know if the shaker has the same software level as the other radios, even for same year.

Stratus...did you know that your factory dvd plays mp3's
if that was your only need, you are all set
you may want to get an F150 audiophile of the same model year as your dvd
if you wanted good sound and a sub output too

Ramb
well I never thought of the mp3's through the dvd player, what a ******* I am. lol. This all started with trying to find a factory head unit that supported the Brandmotion system, 04 being one of the only years that doesnt. The original headunit I had in it was an audiophile unit and the sound was good except through my I-pod. Now I have the mp3 capability and the Brandmotion system on its way soon hopefully if my wife took all my christmas hints. But no dvd player. I'm thinking for the amount the dvd player gets used (long trips with the kids) I can probably put the old unit back in when I need to, it really only takes about 5 minutes.
Holy grief Batman!!!!!!
Are you sure about the dvd player playing mp3's Ramb?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
I am on the patent for the overhead rail
and the company I work for manufactured the dvd player

i'm sure

however I have never used the mp3 capability of my 2004 dvd, so not sure how well it indexes through songs, or if there is any special way to write the cd's etc. but am willing to help if you have trouble

do you have the DVD manual?

Ramb

Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
I don't want to talk you out of the brand motion interface because it works well ( and I know them guys)
but you could also play your IPod through the aux input on your DVD ( not fm modulated, actually the same quality as the new trucks with their aux jack)

not many realized when the truck first came out in 2004 that they had line level aux input from day one by ordering a factory dvd.

Ramb

Old 12-13-2007, 10:01 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
My Expy has the factory DVD. I use the aux inputs for my XM sat. Playing MP3's through the DVD is a hit or miss endeavour. It's real picky as to the type of CD and the program doing the burning. It took me a few tries to get the right combination. It's been a while since I played mp3's through it (that's the wife's car now) but if memory serves you couldn't use folders to organize the music. All the songs had to be in the top root directory so if you had a bunch of music on a CD it was kinda a pain to navigate.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 PM
stratus225
Senior User
Originally Posted by rambunctious
I don't want to talk you out of the brand motion interface because it works well ( and I know them guys)
but you could also play your IPod through the aux input on your DVD ( not fm modulated, actually the same quality as the new trucks with their aux jack)

not many realized when the truck first came out in 2004 that they had line level aux input from day one by ordering a factory dvd.

Ramb
I do not have the dvd manual, I have all the rest, but not that one.
I have tried using the aux input with the I-pod, but it looks horrible and the output strength? is cut down by quite a bit so i cant play it as loud as I would like to. So started the whole brandmotion quest which is now causing nothing but grief. I'm happy that I have the mp3 player now, but kinda p.o.'d that my dvd player is useless. So by the sounds of it, I think I'm screwed unless I buy an 05 f-150 with the dvd player and get the brandmotion system, or completely gut my sound system and start from scratch. Neither of which are very appealing options.
I have to thank you though Ramb, you have been very informative.
Are you sure that the programming through a Ford dealership wont work? I work for Saturn and have worked for Chrysler and Honda and head units can be swapped year to year as long as the wiring harness plugs match up. There is programing involved, but easily done. Nobody at my local dealership can give me a straight answer either. As small and petty as this sounds, its a big thing to me and I know well enough that i wont be happy until all works the way it should. Any and all info would be extremely helpful to me. Thanx very much.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
stratus
I know your exact dilema
I have an 04 with audiophile and DVD. i have a brand motion IPod interface ( it does not work with 04 which you know)
I borrowed an 05 non audiophile radio from work so I could use the brand motion interface. but the plain jane sound of the 6 disk was so frustrating ( after spending $600 or whatever on audiophile) that I put my 04 radio back in my truck and used the aux jack again

I think the best solution for you , taking advantage of your audiophile speakers and sub/amp is to sell the shaker, and for about the same price, buy a 2005 F150 audiophile radio off ebay, and I may then be able to help.

I am qute sure no dealer can flash the radio to make it work with both the IPod interface and the 04 DVD. in 04 Ford went with a new"er" standard of communication called Canbus. the aftermarket interface companies scrambled to decode it and make their interfaces work. Brand motion worked with us and Ford to get their system out quickly.

pm me your email address. If I can find it, I can sent a PDF of the dvd manual. shows many features that most don't know how to use, like dual source output, control of the dvd fro the radio head buttons, etc.
and I may have one potential solution for you. I'll look for yout pm with email address

Ramb

Last edited by rambunctious; 12-14-2007 at 07:53 AM.