Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
New User

beyacork is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 F-250 diesel issues

I have an F-250 with 36,500 miles on it. I am currently getting a PO401 code with the engine light on. I took it to the dealer several months ago and they told me it was my aftermarket intake causing the problem (K&N). They charged me $95. They reset the DTCs and the light went away. A few days later, it came back. I recently purchased a code reader from carmd.com. It displayed the 401 code. This code suggests something other than my air intake. Since that visit to the dealer, I cleaned the air filter, thinking that that was the problem. Since I didn't have a code reader at the time I took it in, I don't know if I am getting the same code as the dealer did. Anyway, I am experiencing hesitation and the engine acts like it's lugging. I floor it and the rpms increase, but the exceleration is just not there.
For background info, the vehicle has had two turbo replacements, one alternator, two heads, one EGR valve at least 10000 to 15000 miles ago, and one catalytic converter. Over its life, I have brought the vehicle in several times complaining of lack of power, and it seems like they fix it, but the problem or some problem seems to return within a few months. Any suggestions?????? I am getting rather frustrated by this whole situation. My previous vehicles were used (ranger, F-150) and I did not experience anything like this.
beyacork
******** type=text/javascript> *********>******** src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript>*********>******** name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-9465106892657534&dt=1197260939593&lmt=1197260939&alternate_ad_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcampaigns.ford-trucks.net%2Fcampaigns%2F300x250.html&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1197260939593&channel=3940151663&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ford-trucks.com%2Fforums%2F682963-2005-f-250-diesel-issues.html&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=000000&color_link=0000CC&color_url=0000FF&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ford-trucks.com%2Fforums%2Fforum30%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=245195691.1197254840&ga_sid=1197260878&ga_hid=1409824824&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=960&u_w=1280&u_ah=922&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=4&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency>*********>
Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Postmaster

blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.
P0401: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

EGR Valve Position does not match desired, limits based on engine speed/load.

It appears your EGR valve is sticking, the EGR valve position sensor is bad or the EP sensor is bad.

A/M air filters tend to make FMC & dealers void your engine warranty. The K&N system is probably the worst A/M air filter you could have chosen for the 6.0.

06 F350 CC SB 6.0 4x4, Suburban Ford (Thanks Ernie )
“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 12-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Elder User

big inch has a good reputation on FTE.big inch has a good reputation on FTE.big inch has a good reputation on FTE.
Daniel Hardee
You will probably need a new egr valve to correct the problem.

If you still have the stock air filter, put it back on and then take the truck to the dealership (or another dealership).
Old 12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhat620
P0401: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

EGR Valve Position does not match desired, limits based on engine speed/load.

It appears your EGR valve is sticking, the EGR valve position sensor is bad or the EP sensor is bad.

A/M air filters tend to make FMC & dealers void your engine warranty. The K&N system is probably the worst A/M air filter you could have chosen for the 6.0.
What type of air intake would you recommend for the 6.0. And, what is the problem with the K&N system?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Senior User

powerstroke1350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
k&n is not good for anything. its cheap crap. AEM and AFE, these are good intakes.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Postmaster

blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyacork
What type of air intake would you recommend for the 6.0. And, what is the problem with the K&N system?
Best air intake for the 6.0 was installed by FMC. The OEM Donaldson Powercore has the best filtration of any filter on the market, provides more air flow than the 6.0 can use until you reach 500+RWHP (this takes more than a tuner), holds over 3lbs of dirt, and can last up to 80k miles. Change filter based on the filter minder on the air box.

There have been Air Filter tests done and the K&N systems always rank at the bottom of the list for filtration ability. On a turbo charged engine, dirt through the turbo is not a good thing as it shortens the life of the turbo and other components. Also the K&N filter is a wet oil type, which is hard on the engine sensors in the air stream.

06 F350 CC SB 6.0 4x4, Suburban Ford (Thanks Ernie )
“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior User

MattyNJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
I cant even imagine having had all those horrible issues with that truck already!! what the hell do you do with your truck? I have the same year truck with no problems to date (knock on wood). Good luck, no offense but stay away from me huh....in case its contagious!

Pioneer AVICZ2 Nav. system/,with Alpine DVD headrest units. Protected by Viper 5900.

N.J. Contractor
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...photoid=175266
Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
New User

2005 warranty repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyNJ
I cant even imagine having had all those horrible issues with that truck already!! what the hell do you do with your truck? I have the same year truck with no problems to date (knock on wood). Good luck, no offense but stay away from me huh....in case its contagious!
The truck is basically stock, 4" exhaust and the K&N air intake, no lift kit and it has stock tires. On the turbo, they tell me moisture is getting into the turbo and rusting the innerds, causing valves to stay open giving too much turbo boost. The intercooler pipe has blown off at least 5 times. I live in Bakersfield, Ca which is fairly dry. Do I have a lemon??????? I spoke to a gentleman at britebox.com. They build light kits for various vehicles. The box allows the brights, dims and fogs to stay on at the same time. He told me all kinds of stories regarding 2004s, 2005s, and 2006s. He told me about an auto web site to check out which details many articles about several warranty issues similar to mine. It's not Car & Driver, but it's one of the sights that came out originally in magazine form, autoweek, maybe??? He said to beware of the 2008. For certain maintenance issues, the cab has to be pulled. The headlights are computer controlled. If the computer experiences two failures, it has to be replaced (no curcuit breaker here). There is also some front end issues with the stabilizer shock. I think it applies more to the lifted trucks as I have not experienced this problem. But when you hit a pothole just right, you loose steering control.
Back to my issues, I pull a 7200 lb. travel trailer, maybe, once to twice a month. I use a superchips programmer to increase the hp, but I never go over the economy mode. I have only owned the unit for a year. These problems have occurred over the life time of my ownership of this truck.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Best air intake for the 6.0 was installed by FMC. The OEM Donaldson Powercore has the best filtration of any filter on the market, provides more air flow than the 6.0 can use until you reach 500+RWHP (this takes more than a tuner), holds over 3lbs of dirt, and can last up to 80k miles. Change filter based on the filter minder on the air box.

There have been Air Filter tests done and the K&N systems always rank at the bottom of the list for filtration ability. On a turbo charged engine, dirt through the turbo is not a good thing as it shortens the life of the turbo and other components. Also the K&N filter is a wet oil type, which is hard on the engine sensors in the air stream.
I went to AMSoil.com to look at the powercore. Their price is $71 for the air filter and it looks like it fits into the stock box. Based on what you're telling me, I should see more performance out of this filter using the stock box than I do from the K&N. Is there any articles you can direct me to regarding this?
Thanks.
Beyacork
Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
The points are:

1) You do not get any extra performance w/ a different intake if you do not have other mods. For up to 500 RWHP, the OEM air system is more than sufficient in air supply. Do some searches and you will find actual references where you can read the study results yourself. Do not get your air filter at AMSOIL - plenty of OEM places to get them so that you can be sure they filter as designed.

2) The dealership told you the aftermarket intake is causing your problems - believe them! The oil on the K&N filter is a problem with sensors. The K&N does not filter as well so you get sticking vanes in your turbo (dust, moisture, etc). This can and, more often than not, causes over boost and head gasket problems (and warped heads).

"Stock" definitely means no aftermarket air intakes.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
New User

Thanks for your help. beyacork
Old 12-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I haven't found the filtration tests yet, but here is one reference on intakes:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...350/index.html

"The benefits of a big-bore, mandrel-bent exhaust are well documented. Magnaflow's 4-inch stainless system incorporates all of the best technology to maximize exhaust flow. Along the same lines, the Airaid cool-air high-flow intake system increases intake breathing in a major way.

"Why then," you ask, "did you only pick up only 8 hp by installing both?"

Good question.

When a free-flow intake and exhaust really become necessary is when the engine's power output increases due to increased fueling, boost, and timing from a chip or a fuel-injection programmer. To make that extra power, you need more airflow in and out. Changes in programming alone may quickly overcome the stock truck's inability to breathe. This will then limit the potential output from the chip or tuner and usually cause EGTs to rise to terminal levels more quickly in any situation.

Rear-Wheel Horsepower and Torque
DynoJet 224 Chassis Dyno*
Dyno Test Results: ’05 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.0L, SR100 five-speed automatic
ConditionPowerTorque
Stock, with 800 miles275.6 hp469.6 lb-ft
With Airaid & Magnaflow283.9 hp477.2 lb-ft
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 12-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Post Fiend

here is some info on the AIS Powercore filter
http://www.powerstrokeregistry.com/page20.html

What the Power Stroke Diesel does demand is good clean fuel, quality clean oil, and clean air - three ingredients that lead to long engine life.

The new AIS Severe Duty kit with Donaldson PowerCore technology is especially beneficial for those who work in demanding environments. In fact, the Abrams M1A2 tank uses PowerCore air filter technology to make sure its 1,500-horsepower gas turbine engines always get clean air in all environmental conditions, including desert dust storms. Most of us will not put our Power Stroke Diesel powered vehicles through the same conditions as a battle tank, but we may endure some of the same dirty, dusty on- and off-road conditions that can eat up regular air filters in no time flat.

When you look at an AIS Severe Duty filter, you may notice its unique appearance, shape and straight-through air flow design. The AIS Severe Duty filtration device looks a lot like boxboard or cardboard. In fact, similar technology is used to corrugate layers of media into narrow channels or "flutes." Opposite ends of each flute are later sealed, turning the layers of flutes into a high-density filter. The airflow goes in one end of the filter and out the other, passing through the high tech material along the way.

The straight-through design results in lower restriction due to fewer air-flow directional changes. Lower restriction means improved equipment operation and longer filter life. Other aftermarket filter suppliers can claim lower restrictions, many by offering washable filters, but usually at the expense of harmful dirt and soot getting into the engine.

The AIS Severe Duty filtration utilizes Web Nano-fiber technology, which results in contaminant filtration that is over 400 times more efficient than a comparable washable filter. Put another way, a washable filter will allow over 400 times the amount of harmful and abrasive dust and contamination to be drawn into the engine, resulting in increased engine wear.

In comparison to a washable filter, the AIS Severe Duty filter has 17 times the amount of filtration area. This is one of the reasons that the PowerCore filter holds so much more dust. More filter media area increases dust capturing and holding capacity and keeps filters from clogging up.

In addition, the AIS Severe Duty filter holds almost five times the dust of a comparable washable filter. This means that a washable filter will plug up faster and your engine will work harder to pump air, as opposed to the AIS Severe Duty filter.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM
New User

Mark, thanks for all your help and advice. Today, I reinstalled my stock air filter and plumbing. I am going to take it back to the dealer for service and hopefully get the egr sensor replaced if that is the problem with my lack of power and hesitation.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 AM
New User

71cudaman is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyacork View Post
Mark, thanks for all your help and advice. Today, I reinstalled my stock air filter and plumbing. I am going to take it back to the dealer for service and hopefully get the egr sensor replaced if that is the problem with my lack of power and hesitation.

hey man ive got a 05 6.0 and only nroke on me once egr valve went out and the symtons were blue smok like crazy no power would start and idle' they thought it was a injector' anyways they had too clean the turbo,egr cooler,intake alot of things. so if ur truck isnt doing that then prob not the egr, bro.... ive heard the injectors are the prob on the 6 liter'
Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2005, 60, air, catalytic, converter, diesel, diesels, ep, f250, f350, filters, ford, issue, issues, kn, problems, sale, sensor, warranty