1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Temp sender unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:19 AM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like the engine coolant temperature sensor, two wires. In earlier models it was located in the intake manifold, and on the later models it was located in the heater line. The sender for the gauge is in the left side of the engine block to the upper rear, one wire. jd

Old 12-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Aussie Grover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimdandy
That looks like the engine coolant temperature sensor, two wires. In earlier models it was located in the intake manifold, and on the later models it was located in the heater line. The sender for the gauge is in the left side of the engine block to the upper rear, one wire. jd
I thought it was in the block as well, but the guage is not working with the sender missing.

There are two sensors in my truck. One is located in the thermostat housing unit and the other is in this "T" or "Y" piece.

At least the correct part is in delivery.

Glenn

Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to all of you who had input to solve this "pipe mystery." My 91 4 cyl has a different connector that I wonder when it needs to be replaced. The supply hose from the water pump to the heater (I think that is the direction of flow) goes along the passenger side of the engine and is swagged into a metal "Y of sorts" pipe. From that pipe there is a 90 degree elbow with more hose swagged to it. That hose goes to the heater. The third "leg" of the "Y" is a pipe that goes around the back of the head and winds up - I'm not sure where - maybe the intake manifold. Has anyone had to replace that assemply and, if so, is finding the part as difficult as Aussie Grover's search?

Old 12-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Bruceknee
New User
Aussie, why are you doing all of this in the first place??are you haveing a heating problem?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Aussie Grover
New User
Originally Posted by Bruceknee
Aussie, why are you doing all of this in the first place??are you haveing a heating problem?
Hi,
the main reason is the part that I was after was rusted out. I was losing coolant and needed to replace the part. The thermostat housing was also looking poor.

Also, during the Fall the truck wasn't coming up to temp. So I thought I'd replace the thermostat housing, thermostat, rusted "T" section and senders in one go.

Just turned out the "T" (or "Y") section was a hard part to come by.

Glenn

Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Aussie Grover
New User
Originally Posted by michigan66
Thanks to all of you who had input to solve this "pipe mystery." My 91 4 cyl has a different connector that I wonder when it needs to be replaced. The supply hose from the water pump to the heater (I think that is the direction of flow) goes along the passenger side of the engine and is swagged into a metal "Y of sorts" pipe. From that pipe there is a 90 degree elbow with more hose swagged to it. That hose goes to the heater. The third "leg" of the "Y" is a pipe that goes around the back of the head and winds up - I'm not sure where - maybe the intake manifold. Has anyone had to replace that assemply and, if so, is finding the part as difficult as Aussie Grover's search?
If no one can come up with a quick answer for you, take a picture of the part and email it to Green Sales - which is mentioned in this thread.

I received excellent service and the took pictures of the part that they had so that I could confirm that it was correct.

They went beyond what I expected from a parts dealership.

Glenn

Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Kadeck
New User
Green Sales had my part F47Z-18599-A for a 97 ford ranger man talk about pain in the butt to find. this little beauty according to ford dealerships in my area said this part is obsolete in their parts houses.

oh and btw this part is a pain in the butt to get to had to tear out the whole fron of my engine to get to it. it was behind the bracket that houses, the A/C, power steering unit, and tension pulley, and the fan, which I also had to remove along with the fan shroud what a mess