1942 SnoGo Resto

Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 AM
SnoGo'er
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 1942 SnoGo Resto

Hi folks. I'm in the process of restoring a 1942 SnoGo based on a Ford chassis. It has the Marmon Herrington 4x4 convertion. It sits on 8.25x18 tires which are becoming quite hard to locate. (Any help?) My question is if the passenger trucks and the comercial trucks used the same body, doors and fenders. I need to replace some interior components (headliner, window regulator) and some exterior trim pieces (hood trim, mirrors). I can only find the ones labled "truck". Will these fit my "truck"?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Yes, most all the cab pieces, grille, hood, and trim will be the same. Fenders are not the same as the 1/2 tons, but that really is about it. Good luck, those SnoGos are great looking pieces of machinery.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 258 Likes on 213 Posts
Welcome. Glad to have another Marmon-Herrington guy around.

Universal Tire, M.E. Miller, and Coker all list a 7.00 x 18" truck tire. Universal looks to be the best price.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
oldproudvet
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi, glad to see someone else with a sno go. I've a MH sno go chassis that I'm in the process of putting under my 39 dump. I can really get stuck on the farm now........ I'm using 20" ton and half wheels. It gears it up just a bit, with the aux trans it should be a usable deal. Your fenders are the same as any Ford truck w/20" wheels. Ford had what they call their "tonner" trucks in those years. Is your truck complete? Do you have the blower and engine to drive it? Thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hi folks, I have a 42 mh sno-go that I restored 18 years ago and drive almost every day. yes I have tough kidneys! I use 20" split rings with goodyear 7.50 - 20 rubber with good results. you MUST! work hard to get this bear stuck!!! have not been able to bury truck in better than 4 feet of snow, really cool. keep on trucking!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
SnoGo'er
New User
Just poking in to give updates and see replies. First off thanks for the tip on Universal Tire. I think that will get me back on the road. The trim pieces are also on their way. The truck is absolutely complete! I do indeed have the rear engine and blower unit. This truck was actually still being used up until about 8 years ago when it was retired and donated here. (Yankee Air Museum, Ypsilanti, MI) I'm doing a frame off resto on this truck and am about to start putting her back together. Currently looking for a painter to donate his/her time. Man they painted EVERYTHING on this truck! I think they painted it in pieces and then again after it was assembled. ??? I was able to find everything except the proper tires and those felt seals around the ball spindles on the front axle. Seems Marmon parts of that year have gone the way of the dinosaurs. They cleaned up ok and I'm hoping they will hold. It's nice to hear that she's going to be hard to get stuck. I can't wait to see the 30 foot shower of snow spewwing out that chute! Oh, anyone know where I might find replacement cylinders for the blower unit? The lift rams look to be quite rusty. Worst case I may just re-chrome the rods and put fresh seals and hope for the best. This is going to be a museum piece and most likely will never see action. Sad I know. But if I could at least get it looking like she works that would be great. I could go on all day, so I'll end it here. Thanks guys for any help! Pics will be on our site shortly. www.Yankeeairmuseum.org

Old 03-12-2008, 08:13 PM
whateg01
More Turbo
Just before reading this thread (actually, while the page was loading) I Googled 'ford snogo' and found the Yankee Air Museum. That must be the truck you're talking about. I found some other pics online of another. That's the first time I've ever seen one. Talk about a unique look! Pretty cool, though. Do you have any pics?

Dave

Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
SnoGo"er, C.R scotseals was able to get me wheel seals for my 42 mh sno go. these are large seals that were within .0005 of spec. it took some persevereance but i got what i needed. felt will be tough to find,newer rubber will work just fine! if not, try: memphis supply-- memphis TENN. military supply restoration shop. right now I am searching for part numbers--I know I have these numbers in my files,(plus many more), just need to find! ps. there is a complete blower for sale 7 miles from me that I sold many years ago, if interested.was in working order when sold. need help with other pieces-parts just yell.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:51 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
WHEEL ADAPTERS.... for all your trucks,any lug pattern to any lug pattern,heres the real deal! steve feinberg-mcCARTHY TIRE-570-760-3067-NY. E-MAIL ADDRESS: SFEINBERG@MCCARTHY.COM HE HAS PICTURES OF ADAPTERS(BILLET ALUMINUM) AND PICTURES OF TRUCKS WITH ADAPTERS IN USE. average price is 200. per wheel based on 5 lug to 10 lug conversion. if you use your truck 0n road, remember, braking WILL be affected. please inform me of good,(or bad), service and response as our company uses his service for tire inventory. should have my gallerie filled in by this weekend.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 258 Likes on 213 Posts
I'm posting a note on the wheel survey being conducted over on the 48-60 page to have members come here to get this information if interested. You may want to post your information there too. Thanks. Stu

Old 03-15-2008, 03:27 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
old proud vet--got your message, stiil looking for files. after 18 years I can not remember where I hid them. CR is chicago rawhide but leather and felt seals are not being produced as far as I know. obsolete stock only. generally speaking, the front bearing seals ( one each side ), did not go bad unless you mess with them. have owned 4 of these units and not one had a bad seal. as I did a frame off resto, I did what everyone does and pulled one seal just to know. bearings on these axles are big, tough, and never saw enough heat or pressure to hurt them as long as they were oiled or greased. I have 18 years on my 42 and front axle components are very tight.I run truck 4 seasons and up to 50 mph (pushing it?). I say this only so you realize that I have tried and tested these units! if I can help keep these trucks alive I will so yell if help is needed. pete

Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
put a couple of shots of daily driver in gallery. looking for unique visor and grill guard,made bed myself so might make guard and bumper myself. pete

Old 03-21-2008, 03:30 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
HAVI, this site doesn't get enough action, so lets stir the pot. re: dump bed. I originally made bed frame to use as dump, so rails are set up for piston and pins. once I sectioned fenders and built chain box in deck I kind of steered away from idea. do have pto on truck and could adapt at any time,but now i'm steering toward power winch on front--soon as I make front bumper. always looking for new ideas, you never know! ps--truck gross is 13200, stands 7'6"" tall, and bed weighs approx. 900 lbs.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:17 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Hey guys. Well, at 900 lbs, how thick is the steel on that bed? After some thinking....I do do that once in a great while..... I wonder if the bedsides could handle a side-load without any reinforcement via stake pockets, beadrolling, gussets, etc...

What I'd be worried about if I got one of those sno-go's stuck...is what's gonna pull ya out, lol?

I'd opt for the winch.

PS: thanks for heads up. These trucks are great.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
2x4 1/4 wall frame, 3/16 floor and sides. wouldn't load sidewall any higher than 20", (aggregate,sand,topsoil), but could handle a cab high load of firewood. it's stronger than it looks! I can stand on 1" rail on top of bed without any deflection. you don't get these stuck, you bury them!!! you can drop these in the low hole and walk away and 10 minutes later she moved 1 foot, and she's free, same idea as pony motor on old dozers. pete

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1942 SnoGo Resto