1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Grrr One Wheel Drive gotta go

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:29 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr One Wheel Drive gotta go

I couldn't even make it up a damp, grassy slope the other day. What is the quickest limited slip/posi trac etc that I can just do a third member switch with? That is without getting into thousands of buck$?

4X4 I don't have, Do I want one? hell yes but I'm not about to give up this truck just yet so two (2) wheels turning just gotta be better than one.

I thought C00nHunter talked about this several months ago, I'm just not sure.

Rog

Old 12-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, Joe did a superduty 3 pinion posi swap. Here is a recent post:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/672487-posi.html

I did the same swap and love it. My truck would get stuck on wet grass...good thing it's a 4 wheeler. I paid $100 for a used unit and bolted my ring gear to it. It's a very easy swap because you just reuse your existing carrier shims.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Is there any particular years of the SuperDuty? Cause I'm on the hunt as we speak!!! You guys in the East and Mid West just seam to have these parts just laying around, I get the impression that you guys trip over half of them.

Seems like in Cali we have to go out and steal the truck. (just kidding)

Rog

Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must be all the tree huggers in cali, they recycle them too quick Don't they know we need to pick the bones before they're crushed hehe.

Not sure on what years will fit, maybe Joe will chime in if he knows. I do know that the 10.25 & the 10.5 diffs share the same internals. BTW: I got mine here on FTE. Maybe the classified section has one?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 AM
dinikin
Senior User
I know your pain.
Drive 2 trucks side by side one with LSD one got open diff.
Big, big diffirence.

The only thing to suggest is adding some weight to the bed, that might help a little with tracktion.

One time we made it all the way to Mt. Hood (timberline) with 2 whell drive tacoma full of snow it the bed, passind 4WD trucks.

Originally Posted by kawa
I couldn't even make it up a damp, grassy slope the other day. What is the quickest limited slip/posi trac etc that I can just do a third member switch with? That is without getting into thousands of buck$?

4X4 I don't have, Do I want one? hell yes but I'm not about to give up this truck just yet so two (2) wheels turning just gotta be better than one.

I thought C00nHunter talked about this several months ago, I'm just not sure.

Rog

Old 12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
i got the powertrax lockrite in my truck runs around $400 but easy to install and no set up required and no clutches to go out i got mine from www.summit.com