1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Finally!! A CPS recall!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 AM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just put one of the gray ones in my truck a couple weeks ago. i got an appointment tommorrow at the local stealership. so will the gray one not be replaced? will my $$ be refunded i wonder? anyone heard anything bout that

Old 12-12-2007, 08:15 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 stroke man
i just put one of the gray ones in my truck a couple weeks ago. i got an appointment tommorrow at the local stealership. so will the gray one not be replaced? will my $$ be refunded i wonder? anyone heard anything bout that
I have heard that refund will be processed if the gray one is already installed. Did they install it or did you just buy the part? If you jsut bought the part they may not reimburse it but its worth a try.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:34 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
I bought my truck in July 07 and they guy I bought it from already had a new CPS in the glove box. I don't know if the one in there is the original or not. Either way the truck has been running great and I'm afraid the stealership will just mess something up if I take it in. Am I being paranoid? Also, one of our local dealers specifically deals with Heavy Duty trucks, I should probably take it there, right?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
i tried to get them to clear my codes while i was in there but they wouldn't do it anyone know a good way to clear them without a scanner?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:30 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

disconnect the battery or pull fuses 22 and 9 under the hood for about 5 minutes

Old 12-12-2007, 04:36 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
sweet man thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM
osue077
Junior User
Went to the stealership with reciept in hand, will send refund in the mail and installed the new one in 20 minutes.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
97 RED PSD
Senior User
So should I take it back in since apparently they didn't replace the sensor?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
CraigH-CA
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordman837000
what is the cps? i got a 97 and never got a recall notice
Camshaft Position Sensor

You can check to see if your vehicle is recalled by typing in your VIN on Ford's recall page:

http://www.ford.com/owner-services/vehicle-maintenance/recall-information

Old 12-18-2007, 06:06 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Well here is my saga of a story!!!

Yesterday at 2pm finally convince my friendly Ford dealer to change my CPS even though there was nothing wrong with my current one (mistake number one, carry your spare change it out and then put it back in when you get to your Ford dealer!). So at 2pm today I got in my truck to go pick up some parts for my block heater plug and the sparky AIC but between the Church and radio shack my truck start cutting out and bucking! not CEL but it was getting worse in a hurry and worse with load. So I drove over to Rick's (action4478) to borrow his scanner. Sure enough P0344! Unplugged the CPS looked at it plugged it back in cleared the codes and went to flog it down the road. Made it 50 yards and had to pull off cause it was really bad now. Got it running again and turned around to got back to Ricks to change out the CPS (he had a step stool so it was easier!) but only made it another 25 yard back and coasted into the neighbors parking lot. Put in my spare and was off and running again. Stopped at Ricks to tell him the story and off to Ford again.

I walked in and handed them my invioce and the junk sensor told them the deal and they pulled me in and swapped out the sensor again and gave me my spare back.

So now we'll see how long this one lasts. So moral of the story is 2 fold. Don't get your sensor changed unless you are having issues with it. The recall won't go away. and 2 for all those that still think this sensor is new and improved....It is new but the improved part we'll see about. So far I am not impressed. Its normal to have some parts bad out of the box but longevity will tell the story.

BTW that was the first time anybody has ever worked on one of my PSD's except me! I don't really care for that!!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Tim

Chit happens! Not sold yet on the new.
This is why I keep a "KNOWN" to be good cps as as a spare.
Heat cycled for 3K.

Bill

Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by MADVAN
Tim

Chit happens! Not sold yet on the new.
This is why I keep a "KNOWN" to be good cps as as a spare.
Heat cycled for 3K.

Bill
Yeap same here. I know the new ones cheaper but we'll know if its better (i doubt it!) in about 2 years. I will be keeping a spare or 2 in the glove box as always!!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Tim

I still believe its more of a connection problem than CPS.
As a test one truck had failures. I cut the top off of the cps and soldered leads on it. Heat shrinked it up. This was done to a cps that was giving failures! Its 5 years now without skipping a beat.

Bill

Old 12-18-2007, 07:06 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

wow! I tried unplugging and plugging it back in but no good! Swapped them out and was running with no issue! Sometime the connection certainly is the issue.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Yeap same here. I know the new ones cheaper but we'll know if its better (i doubt it!) in about 2 years. I will be keeping a spare or 2 in the glove box as always!!
Safety recall that makes it worse?.....

Quick Reply: Finally!! A CPS recall!