2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau cover on a cold night!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Turtlesplatter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau cover on a cold night!

OK...so I might just be stating the obvious here but I just HAD to share this "eureka moment" I just had!

It's been averaging about 32 degree here in DC (with a wind chill of about negative 78!) I had to roll my Extang Tonneau cover up a few days ago to load up a motorcycle into my SCREW. Because it's been so cold, I've been putting off trying to roll it back down and fasten it because I knew it would be a pain in the a$$ because it's contracted...even though I do have the tabs turned for a loose fit. Well, they're calling for snow tomorrow so I figured I had to roll it back down since I didn't want to get snow in the bed (gotta keep it dry so when I go pick up the Xmas tree and another bike later in the week)

Long story short, I tried and tried - and even invented a few new curse words in the process - but I just could not get it to stretch enough to button the tail gate end. I pulled and stretched but nothing and my finger tips starting to freeze wasn't helping matters any

Then all of a sudden it came to me. I ran inside and filled a bucket with hot water. I poured it all over the cover and rushed to try to fasten it down before the water froze!! BINGO!! It expanded enough and snapped down like it was a 90 degree afternoon!!

Just thought I'd share (because my girlfriend could care less!!)

Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wrote off traditional soft tonneaus years ago. I loved the Full Tilt Extang I had on my 06... you could roll it up normally, or just take it off as a single unit (1 person), and leave it somewhere intact. You just throw the framed tonneau back in place.... no stretching, no swearing.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 PM
ech0sh4y
Posting Guru
haha nice! I found it's easier to put a heater (one of thos propane torpedo things) in the bed and strech it as much as u can warms right up!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 PM
osteodoc08
Senior User
Or you can just unsnap it and bring it inside to warm up.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't want the hassle of removing, and storing a hard top, or the hassle of "cold" weather snaps. I ended up going with a velcro cover, with easily adjustable length. One month, and so far, so good..........

Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 PM
gustav129
Senior User
Originally Posted by osteodoc08
Mine never "unsnapped". For me to take it off, I'd have to undo the frame and take the whole back piece with it.

I've done the heater method many times.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 PM
KevinAH
Senior User
I think it's funny turtlesplatter just wanted to tell all about his solution because his girlfriend didn't find the genius he portrayed. Then, on this site nobody wants to give him his genius here either. It's funny the chain of events it takes to get some of the easiest things done. It always seems to involve swearing too.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 AM
gustav129
Senior User
Originally Posted by KevinAH
I think it's funny turtlesplatter just wanted to tell all about his solution because his girlfriend didn't find the genius he portrayed. Then, on this site nobody wants to give him his genius here either. It's funny the chain of events it takes to get some of the easiest things done. It always seems to involve swearing too.
That must be a fact of life. I was considering suing Ninstendo, because that's what taught me to cuss.

The hot water might work faster than the heater, but I'd be afraid of getting it on the window and doing some damage.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 AM
KevinAH
Senior User
gustav129, are you cussing cause of all the water everywhere? I'm in Olympia and trying to dry out.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:26 AM
gustav129
Senior User
Originally Posted by KevinAH
gustav129, are you cussing cause of all the water everywhere? I'm in Olympia and trying to dry out.
When you'r trying to lay tile in the bottom of the pool, and it fills up every couple of hours, I'd say so. We aren't flooding yet, but we are under an advisory.

Last edited by gustav129; 12-05-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Turtlesplatter
Junior User
Originally Posted by osteodoc08
That would have taken too long, plus if I unsnapped it entirely off, I would have had to deal with trying to snap it back on in that tight area between the cab and flatbed and by that time, it would have frozen up again.

Originally Posted by gustav129
The hot water might work faster than the heater, but I'd be afraid of getting it on the window and doing some damage.
I thought about that but since I wasn't using boiling water, I figured that the water was not any hotter than a good automatic car wash.

Despite having to deal with the occasional cold weather symptoms I actually love the soft tonneau cover. Like the saying goes "A man with a pickup truck ALWAYS has friends". I find myself always having to help someone move at the last minute or hauling one of my buddy's motorcycles after a wreck. The ability to be able to roll it up in 120 seconds flat...by myself...and not have to worry about finding someone to help me take a hard top off and store it, is key. I know they have automatic roll up ones but the frame for the Extang cover allowed me to be able to install a dual CB radio antena setup I designed.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
kellie_truxedo
Senior User
You guys can keep that wet weather to the West. We're still trying to deal with the ice on the roads from the freezing rain we had last weekend.

Anyway, Turtlesplatter I think that's one way to deal with your cover (plus it probably cleaned it at the same time.) And just to clear up any misconceptions out there about soft tonneau covers, the Truxedo covers actually expand in cold weather. It's really nice because you never have to fight to get your cover closed when it gets cold.

If anyone is looking for a cover we are running a special for forum members only right now.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
gpeade
Elder User
I was just wondering how you kept the bed dry while pouring water onto an unfastened cover? I ponder these great mysteries of the universe cause I have that kinda time!!!! Actually I don't, I'm just wasting time here!!!