1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doubters of TRITON POWER

Old 12-04-2007, 05:48 PM
01F250marty
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 5.4 is not a huge engine. I guess mine has the 4.10 gears or greater someone correct me please i am curious as to what I have in mine. Its a 2001 F250. I have 31" BFG Allts on it. I have to ease into my turns or it will chirp my tires every time. I think for my trucks size full CC full bed. It has a lot of Low end in it. I have some other fords like my 350 hp mustang which would retire my truck in .001 secs. I rambel.

Anyways. I am a pruduction supervisor for Jacuzzi. We use 4 to 5000lbs forklifts at our facility. When one gets stuck ,out of I would say 300 trucks we have, I get called everytime. Sometimes I just hoke my rope to the front and kinda use my weight to bounce them out in 2wd. But sometimes I get an erection when they call me and I use my 4low. It is a very sexy sight watching my sweet ride pull them out. We have a Dualy Dodge some kinda diesel and an old *** busted up Ford flat bed prob a 351 in it. And they call me. Blasa blasa blasa

FORD POWA!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by jomac11
I am relatively sure that my dads 2000 2500 chevy with the 6.0L gas motor will do just fine towing your load. It obviously wont keep up with my powerstroke, but it will tow the same load.
It has nothing to do with "keeping up" with anything. My point was the extra weight of the Super Duty really helps keep the trailer from dragging the truck all over the road in a cross wind situation, epecially if you're not using WD hitches.

Horsepower is a wonderful thing. My 1963 Pontiac has 376 horespower, but I sure wouldn't try towing a 12,000 pound load with it.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
jomac11
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
It has nothing to do with "keeping up" with anything. My point was the extra weight of the Super Duty really helps keep the trailer from dragging the truck all over the road in a cross wind situation, epecially if you're not using WD hitches.

Horsepower is a wonderful thing. My 1963 Pontiac has 376 horespower, but I sure wouldn't try towing a 12,000 pound load with it.
Where did I say anything about horsepower? Anyways, to the discussion at hand. As long as we are talking about cross winds, lets talk about the ford super duty being at least 6" (if not more) taller than a chevy. That causes a lot of extra drag.

I'm not a ford guy, or a chevy guy, or a dodge guy, I'm a buy what works the best for what you need it for guy. I think you guys need to take off the blue oval blinders and realize that other people besides ford make good products.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:01 PM
01F250marty
Cross-Country
Where did I say anything about horsepower? Anyways, to the discussion at hand. As long as we are talking about cross winds, lets talk about the ford super duty being at least 6" (if not more) taller than a chevy. That causes a lot of extra drag.

I'm not a ford guy, or a chevy guy, or a dodge guy, I'm a buy what works the best for what you need it for guy. I think you guys need to take off the blue oval blinders and realize that other people besides ford make good products.

I thought this was a "Ford" forum????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????? Could be the 12 pack down my throat but I'm all conreuzzled!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:07 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem I see with your logic is all the chevy's i ever owned or family has owned (coming form a GM family) DON'T work. The just break and eat up your entire budget trying to get them to drive again.

I'd take a dodge any given day of the week over a chevy, but as previously mentioned in a forum (maybe this one) after 36K they reduce themselves to chevy level

I guess the whole reason I started this thread was with my 5.4 I have towed anyhting I ever need and pulled many of stuck cars out of ditch... and somehow have 130K reliable miles on the clock, where as those who have tried to persuade me into a GMT-700 or 800 are all on their 2nd engine, transmission, and transfer case by 120K.

Ever tried to tow a snowmobile trailer in a GMT-800 1500 with a 5.3 and the 4L60E? that transmission was more confused than Cal Naughton Jr. in Talledega nights when he thought he had a pretzel in his head. That truck couldn't pull 2 snowmobiles worth a durn, but somehow the good ol' SD can pull a Camaro on a tandem axle trailer effortlessly. BTW BOTH of these trucks have the 3.73 rear ends

Old 12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
U are also comparing a 6.0l to a 5.4l. The 6.0l already has .6L over the 5.4 and the 6.0l has pushrods. We all kno pushrod engines make more power.

Uh...have any facts to back up that statement?

Chevy has been making pushrod engines for what, 50-some years now, I should hope they could make some decent power with them.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:09 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

And I'll gladly beat the h3ll out of my bosses Dodge at work and ride around in a buddys Chevy, but I picked Ford for a reason: Because I like it. They make good stuff, but Ford makes what some of us like more. I'm sure there's a Chevy forum somewhere we're they love not having a solid front axle and that cute little bowtie that they can never take off.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ghunt
Uh...have any facts to back up that statement?

Chevy has been making pushrod engines for what, 50-some years now, I should hope they could make some decent power with them.
To back up what?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
jomac11
Elder User
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
The only problem I see with your logic is all the chevy's i ever owned or family has owned (coming form a GM family) DON'T work. The just break and eat up your entire budget trying to get them to drive again.

I'd take a dodge any given day of the week over a chevy, but as previously mentioned in a forum (maybe this one) after 36K they reduce themselves to chevy level

I guess the whole reason I started this thread was with my 5.4 I have towed anyhting I ever need and pulled many of stuck cars out of ditch... and somehow have 130K reliable miles on the clock, where as those who have tried to persuade me into a GMT-700 or 800 are all on their 2nd engine, transmission, and transfer case by 120K.

Ever tried to tow a snowmobile trailer in a GMT-800 1500 with a 5.3 and the 4L60E? that transmission was more confused than Cal Naughton Jr. in Talledega nights when he thought he had a pretzel in his head. That truck couldn't pull 2 snowmobiles worth a durn, but somehow the good ol' SD can pull a Camaro on a tandem axle trailer effortlessly. BTW BOTH of these trucks have the 3.73 rear ends
My family has had several chevys in my lifetime. The 3 most recent that I can remember were my 98, which I sold when I got my super duty, it had 130k on it when I sold it and never had a lick of problems. Pulled a tandem axle trailer with an explorer on it on a 1300 mile round trip with no problems. Sure it wouldnt run 100mph, but your 5.4 f250 wouldnt either. We had a 94 with 150k that had a starter replaced in its lifetime, regularly hauled hay, stock trailer, etc with it, WAY over its ratings. My uncle had a 92 with 250k on it, and replaced a power window motor in it.

Point being, you get some good ones, you get some bad ones, but any auto will hold up just fine with proper maintenance and taking care of it. I understand that this is a ford forum, thats why I'm here, but its ok to admit that other people make good vehicles too...

Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Sure it wouldnt run 100mph, but your 5.4 f250 wouldnt either.
Lies. All lies.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Traded 5th wheel this summer - latched on to a Gulfstream with a GVR of 14,500 lbs with my (then) '05 F250, 5.4 w/3.73. Sure, it struggled a little bringing it home, which is why I now have the sig truck. But, it pulled that 14K or so up several really rugged grades, the worst being 10% and 3 miles long. Yeah, I was going kinda slow, but I was pushin a tractor trailer up one of 'em.
So, yea, it's the little engine that can.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 01F250marty
I guess mine has the 4.10 gears or greater someone correct me please i am curious as to what I have in mine.
Look at the axle code on the data tag in your door jam area...

31 - 3.73 open
C1 - 3.73LS
32 - 4.10 open
C2 - 4.10LS

Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
more confused than Cal Naughton Jr. in Talledega nights when he thought he had a pretzel in his head
Shake 'n Bake!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:40 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
[QUOTE=jomac11]You can't get a 3/4 ton gm with a 5.3L v8, they only come with a 6.0, 8.1, or 6.6L duramax.
You can no longer get a 8.1 in the 2500 or 3500 Chevy. Only the 6.6 and 6.0.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
paulm
Senior User
I would say that it is more an issue of gears and weight than motor. The Pickup.com article with the shoot out with the new trucks illustrated that point. The GM 6.0, though not as powerful either hp wise or torque wise, held it's own against the V10. It out muscled the V10 empty and towing 10,500 on level ground, but when it came to pulling a grade, the V10 superior torque and hp turned the table. The GM with the 6 spd auto is just a better geared, lighter truck.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by paulm
I would say that it is more an issue of gears and weight than motor. The Pickup.com article with the shoot out with the new trucks illustrated that point. The GM 6.0, though not as powerful either hp wise or torque wise, held it's own against the V10. It out muscled the V10 empty and towing 10,500 on level ground, but when it came to pulling a grade, the V10 superior torque and hp turned the table. The GM with the 6 spd auto is just a better geared, lighter truck.
I thought the 6.0l Chebby has more hp than the V10, I guess thats only in newer models.

Towing on level ground doesn't mean squat, at least to me. Hills are everywhere and when pulling you need a truck to handle them hills.

Your right the Chebbys 6spd doesn't load the motor as much and provides an edge. Also Chebby usually puts smaller tires on from factory than ford does, thus changing the final drive ratio.

I still put little faith in reviews done by magazines and other outfits that do vehicle testing.

Last edited by dkf; 12-05-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: doubters of TRITON POWER