6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Replacing stock head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
BIG-FUJIMO
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing stock head bolts?

Has anyone ever replaced the head bolts with studs one by one? take one out put one in. Before you start having any head problems.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BIG-FUJIMO
Has anyone ever replaced the head bolts with studs one by one? take one out put one in. Before you start having any head problems.
I have asked the same question in a couple of different posts and I have not got a reply from anyone who has replaced the OEM bolts with ARP studs one at a time. The only responses I keep getting are from the Ford tech guys that it is bad ju ju to do this upgrade. And maybe they are right but if anyone has done it I would sure like to hear about there experience. I'm thinking about calling ARP and ask if anyone they know has done this.

This would be the procedure I would contemplate using. Remove the OEM bolts one at a time in the reverse order they were torqued from Ford, install the ARP stud and torque to ARP specs. This would allow the ARP studs to stretch which, if I remeber from my last ARP experience, is required. This would also keep the head from possibly warping and the head gasket sealed. Then the final step would be to loosen and re-torque the ARP studs to their final recommended ARP value in the recommended Ford sequence.

Standing by for grief!

DSMMH

Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
If the 'ford tech guys' say not do do it this way I for one would listen to their advice.They are probally telling you not to use this method to save you the time and trouble of doing the job twice.MHO

Old 12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
BIG-FUJIMO
Junior User
well my ford tech told me about this while he was redoing mine he knows of a couple of guys that have done it and he didn't see a big problem with it as long as you do it while you know the heads haven't been overheated. basically like preventative maintenance. he told me take one out and put the arp stud in and torque it down. The only reason why I ask is I have two other low milage 6.0s I mean it almost inevitable its going to happen eventually.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 PM
bfloyd4445
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
well my ford tech told me about this while he was redoing mine he knows of a couple of guys that have done it and he didn't see a big problem with it as long as you do it while you know the heads haven't been overheated. basically like preventative maintenance. he told me take one out and put the arp stud in and torque it down. The only reason why I ask is I have two other low milage 6.0s I mean it almost inevitable its going to happen eventually.
So, all 6.0 will need to have this done eventually? I know of several with gazillions of miles that have never had anything doen to them. Of course non of them have ever been modified or run a tune.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM
bfloyd4445
Laughing Gas
Why not just replace them all at once them touq them down? as long as the heads aren't moved the gasket should keep a seal. right?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:41 PM
BIG-FUJIMO
Junior User
Because you would be unseating the head and then reseating it on a used gasket. I just don't think it is a good idea to do it that way. and it is not as common to have the head bolt problem unless you run a chip or pull alot of heavier weight.

Originally Posted by bfloyd4445
Why not just replace them all at once them touq them down? as long as the heads aren't moved the gasket should keep a seal. right?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Because you would be unseating the head and then reseating it on a used gasket. I just don't think it is a good idea to do it that way. and it is not as common to have the head bolt problem unless you run a chip or pull alot of heavier weight.
You are exactly right and thanks for the info about doing the head bolt exchange job. Finally found someone who did the procedure and had success. I plan to do mine this spring.

DSMMH

Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMMH
You are exactly right and thanks for the info about doing the head bolt exchange job. Finally found someone who did the procedure and had success. I plan to do mine this spring.

DSMMH
Is it on a web site so we all can see?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
BIG-FUJIMO
Junior User
No its just what my psd guruu told me he said they been doing it with no problems

Originally Posted by wb6anp
Is it on a web site so we all can see?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
No its just what my psd guruu told me he said they been doing it with no problems
Did your guru do the job with the engine in the truck or out? From what I read most HG replacements are done by removing the cab on pickup trucks. My X makes it a little hard to just remove the cab. I was planning to remove the IC, radiator and fan to give me enough room to stand in front of the engine and do the job without removing the motor.

DSMMH

Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 AM
BIG-FUJIMO
Junior User
Yes you can do head gaskets without removing the cab or the motor but you will have to remove all of you front end. way easier

Originally Posted by DSMMH
Did your guru do the job with the engine in the truck or out? From what I read most HG replacements are done by removing the cab on pickup trucks. My X makes it a little hard to just remove the cab. I was planning to remove the IC, radiator and fan to give me enough room to stand in front of the engine and do the job without removing the motor.

DSMMH

Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM
bfloyd4445
Laughing Gas
My neighbor in Oregon is a road builder and rancher and he hauls some humongous loads with his 03, 04, 6.0's that are bone stock. Both have about 100k on them so are low mileage. From what you say it sounds like he may need arp's. I'll rattle his cage about it. Thanks for the info