Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rear Window Leak?

Anyone have their rear window leak water? We had two days of rain here and driving at night it looked like the rear window(hatch) had water trails on it. I washed the window thinking it was on the outside, nope, they are on the inside. It doesn't appear that there is any adjustments that can be made with regards to how close the glass sits to the seal.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Senior User

IQ9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had the exact same thing. I coated the seal with 303 and that seemed to fix it. I think I have seen the same trails down the windshield as well but I need to do more testing. I should mention it to my service writer on my next visit.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ9
I have had the exact same thing. I coated the seal with 303 and that seemed to fix it. I think I have seen the same trails down the windshield as well but I need to do more testing. I should mention it to my service writer on my next visit.
Thanks. I am going to spend some time looking at it tonight. I will try the 303. The seal seams way less pliable than other weatherstripping on the truck.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Elder User

fireman28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also had the same issue before I got rid of my Expy. I cleaned the seals really good and didn't see it happen again. I figured that I must have gotten some trash/dirt in it from opening and closing in some the the dust areas I was in.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Freshman User

70BOSS 302 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine does, I always take the nozzle off the hose to rinse it off after I wash it - if there is a leak you will find it doing this. Never leaks any other time though. Could not telll it until the next day when the sun hit the glass at the right angle
Old 12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70BOSS 302
Mine does, I always take the nozzle off the hose to rinse it off after I wash it - if there is a leak you will find it doing this. Never leaks any other time though. Could not telll it until the next day when the sun hit the glass at the right angle
Have you made it through any amount of rain with out it leaking?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Junior User

kenttrudiw is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2004 Expedition rear window leaked and my 2007 window leaked, what were the odds!

My dealer worked on this at least twice (one very long day). The factory has a fix which has worked so far.

The dealer finally installed new weather striping in the window frame. This new striping is almost twice as thick, you now have to be firm when you shut the window, and you can tell that there is more rubber to squish down when closing the window.

But so far so good, no leaks!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Junior User

Ogio is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenttrudiw
My 2004 Expedition rear window leaked and my 2007 window leaked, what were the odds!

My dealer worked on this at least twice (one very long day). The factory has a fix which has worked so far.

The dealer finally installed new weather striping in the window frame. This new striping is almost twice as thick, you now have to be firm when you shut the window, and you can tell that there is more rubber to squish down when closing the window.

But so far so good, no leaks!
Sweet. Good news. I figured it was the weatherstripping. The one in there is stiff and when the glass is closed, hardly puts enough pressure on the glass.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Senior User

Looks like I need to let it leak and take to the dealer to get it fixed. Thanks for finding out about the fix!!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Junior User

Ogio is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have someone put the hose on it from above and crawl in the back so you can see the water coming in.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Freshman User

The Dogfather is starting off with a positive reputation.
My '05 does it too. From day one. I never got it fixed, I just wash the window.

Also, the little hose that connects to the rear window washer popped off once. Water dripping everywhere, fortunately no stains.

I had to pull down the headliner and reach in there to re-connect it. Took about 5 minutes. That's better than the 15-minute drive to the dealer and the 1-hour wait to get it fixed.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Senior User

rich93cw is starting off with a positive reputation.
The owner's manual says to regularly clean all door and window seals and then wipe on silicone spray or dielectric grease (very sparingly). It works on my Vette very well to keep the seals clean, soft and sealing.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior User

My rear seal is very "hard" as well. I don't see it sealing much as it looked like it leaked from the rain. The one I am really worried about is the windshield. Does anyone have any of the trail on their windshield? I am really hoping it was condensation...but I will be watching. Thanks for the replies in advance. You guys are great!!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Postmaster

It's raining now and knock on wood, I don't see any water leaking. I cleaned the seal with a damp microfiber towel rung out with warm water. I then pinched and rolled the base of the seal upward on the top horizontal section to make the seal protrude upward a bit. I then put 3 coats of 303 protectant on.

I will let you guys know Monday how it has held up, as its supposed to rain all weekend.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Senior User

rich93cw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ9
My rear seal is very "hard" as well. I don't see it sealing much as it looked like it leaked from the rain. The one I am really worried about is the windshield. Does anyone have any of the trail on their windshield? I am really hoping it was condensation...but I will be watching. Thanks for the replies in advance. You guys are great!!
Windshields do not have gaskets. They are glued to the body sheet metal. If your windshield is leaking, it may be possible to pull back the trim strip hiding the seam and add some black polyurethane windshield sealant, if you can actually spot the leaking area. Alternatively, you will need to remov the whole windshield and have it cleaned and reglued.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
06, 2002, 2006, back, condensation, expedition, f150, ford, leak, leaking, leaks, rear, seal, truck, washer, window