Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2007, 01:40 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Battery Tutorial

Well it's that time of year, when batteries & altenators go belly up!!!!
Poke around this site, it has answers to just about any question we're likly to have about batteries.

From how to choose, care for, test, & charge. Which charger type to use & why, to who makes which brand of battery.

Even how to use your digital multimeter to measure battery cable voltage drop, or open circuit state of charge, ect, ect.

Enjoy the info, I sure have.
http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence

Last edited by pawpaw; 12-03-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Elder User

bazzman1953 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool

Since I use batteries in my boat and vehicals (my last hand crank start was my old '59 Triumph TR3-A ), I found this to be a good learning source. Worthy of a 'sticky', I think.
Anyhow, thanks for the heads up on it PawPaw.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Ran across this Ford informational TSB this morning & thought I'd add it to this threads subject matter.

It's worth taking the time to read ALL of it, as there are thoughts concerning new & used lot vehicles about to be purchased, and their batteries condition that most of us wouldn't likely think about.

Also a heads up on Fords battery "eye" & what it's really for & what it can & can't tell us about the batteries condition & knowing that might prevent some of us from buying a new battery that isn't really needed, or falling for a high pressure battery salesmans pitch, using that battery eye as his selling point!!!!!

06-4-2***BATTERY SERVICE - OPERATION OF BATTERY EYE - CHARGING SERVICE TIPS

(Ben Franklin)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Post Fiend

fordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to behold
pawpaw, 1+

i will also add this to the top, nice post!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Freshman User

93Ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
You link doesn't work anymore> I found it had changed to:

Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ 2010, Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List, and Battery References and Information Links List
Old 10-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Elder User

mdr617 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So what do you guys think about an optima yellow top batterie? I was going to get the one with top and side post, top for the stock terminals, and the side for my fog lights, neon lights, electric fan, and other random thingys.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
New User

leathermen is starting off with a positive reputation.
battery problem

I unhooked my battery and after hooking back up now my anti theft light is on and i cant get it to reset on my 04 ranger
Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermen View Post
I unhooked my battery and after hooking back up now my anti theft light is on and i cant get it to reset on my 04 ranger
Welcome to FTE.

Which battery cable did you unhook & did you unhook the battery with the ignition switch on????

(Ben Franklin)

Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Posting Guru

Otahyoni has a good reputation on FTE.Otahyoni has a good reputation on FTE.
cmsteppe Otahyoni86
Something i'd like to point out is to never try to charge a frozen battery. If it's completely dead, and cold enough outside the battery could freeze. If you tried to charge it, it could explode.

Also, batteries give off a gas while charging that is explosive. Be sure to turn off, then unplug the charger before removing it from the battery.

This is also the reason for connecting the last ground cable away from the battery when jump-starting.

Stay safe!

86 Ford F250 6.9L Turbo IDI 4x4 4.10 gears T-19 On-Board Air (dead, parted out)
85 F350 CCLB 460/C6/3.54 90% stock
Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 PM
New User

daddyo43 is starting off with a positive reputation.
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

We Have a '99' ford ranger p/u We've put a new alternator & new battery in it , It still show "NO CHARGING VOLTAGE". What is Going on & how do we fix it?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyo43 View Post
We Have a '99' ford ranger p/u We've put a new alternator & new battery in it , It still show "NO CHARGING VOLTAGE". What is Going on & how do we fix it?
Welcome to FTE.

Check the owners manual for the location of the field coil fuse, if it's blown, the field coil won't self excite, thus no alternator output.

Let us know how it goes.

(Ben Franklin)

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Freshman User

CliffBerger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great info, thx!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Junior User

Tomm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well...going to work...60 degrees; truck won't start. One loud "thunk"...then nothing. No idiot lights, etc. Charged battery...same result. put charger to "quick start" started 2 times. Bought new battery...one loud "thunk"... then nothing. Changed starter...one loud "thunk"...then nothing, then no idiot lights. One other thing, after the new battery didn't work I ran a secondary ground from the battery to the engine...one loud "thunk", no idiot lights.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Junior User

Tomm is starting off with a positive reputation.
60 degrees...truck won't start! One loud "thunk" when turn key to start. Back to "run" and no idiot lights. Charged the battery, same result as before. Put the charger in "quick start" mode...started two times. Changed the battery, still same "thunk" and result. Ran a secondary ground line, same "thunk" and result. Changed the starter...same "thunk and result...HELP!!

Last edited by Tomm; 05-23-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Thought I lost the previous post
Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 PM

Try using a good quality large wire gauge, say 4 gauge, jump start cable in a parallel connection, from the battery B+ post to the starter solenoid & see if it makes any difference. If it does, suspect the vehicles B+ cable has broken wire strands, or a bad/loose/corroded connection at the cables lug, or battery post..

If the jumper doesn't make any difference, remove both battery cables & clean the posts & cable clamps & see how it goes.

With no dash lights lit, even with the charger in jump start mode, it counds like a connection, or cable problem. ALL battery cable connections need to be clean, bright & tight, to prevent under load voltage drop, as we only have 12 volts or so to work with, it doesn't take much resistance in the circuit to cause mischief.

A high resistance connection thats recently been put under a heavy electrical load, will feel warm, or hot, so your sense of touch can do some quick trouble shooting if you don't have a multimeter to perform some under load voltage drop tests, as outlined in the tutorial.

Let us know what you find.

(Ben Franklin)

Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
anti, battery, cables, clicks, eye, ranger, theft, trucks, tutorial, unhooked