Notices

Need fast response! Spray in liners

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:38 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need fast response! Spray in liners

Hey guys I have a '07 Tundra (still have my Ford though!) and I got it sprayed with Rhino back in early May. Three months later, it started to fade bad. They are offering to respray it over my Christmas break (out of state). However, since then, I've beat my Rhino up pretty bad. I underestimated what I'd be doing with my truck and have since hauled a bunch of stuff that beat it up. Rocks that are like 300 lbs apiece taking out small chunks and denting my bed, pallet of concrete that weighed 2000 lbs and some other stuff that was really rough.

Background. I got an awesome deal on it and paid $250 OTD. This shop also sprays Linex and Rhino Hardline. I could have gotten the Rhino Hardline for cheaper than what I paid for the Tuffgrip, but I chose not to. He did an AWESOME job spraying it. They had a Rhino rep out and are offering to respray it for me because it has "3-6 years of fading on it in 3 months."

My current issue. I would like to have them respray it with Rhino Hardliner for two reasons. The first reason is that it's more durable then what I have now and is very comparable to Line-x. The second reason is that it's also cheaper for them to respray it, so they'll be more likely to spray that instead of the Linex (and me pay the difference --> remember I got that discount though).

I'd like anybody's input regarding this issue. Responses for Rhino Hardline vs Linex are welcomed as well as pictures of the Hardline. Also, does anybody know the process for respraying this? Are they going to strip it back to the metal or not?

Here are some pics:

And the reason they're respraying:

I'm going to know more information tomorrow, but would like to see some quick responses on whether or not I should ask about it.

Thanks,

-rockstate

Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
To get a different surface, they will have to remove the old stuff. That ain't gonna happen unless you pay... You can ask, but be sure if you are going reservice with a different mix if they will remove the old crap.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
I just got off the phone with him and they're going to rescuff it down and prime it then spray over. I'm going to do the Rhino Hardline/Linex. He said they're the same chemicals and same mix.

-rockstate

Old 12-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you are hauling rocks and other stuff that will gouge any spray-in liner, consider adding a thick rubber mat over the liner.

The mat will absorb any damage and will also keep loads from sliding around. Just make sure that the mat is one of the thick heavy-duty types since those rocks look quite heavy.

I purchased one of those mats for my '83 F-150 and it migrated to an '87, a '97 and an '06 truck. It still works. Maybe I should look at a new one some day....

Lou Braun

Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Go to a plastics company and buy a sheet of Tyvar to put over the top of the spray-in liner. It will withstand the abuse of the rocks, pallets, etc, and will also limit damage to the underlying metal.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lou Braun
Since you are hauling rocks and other stuff that will gouge any spray-in liner, consider adding a thick rubber mat over the liner.

The mat will absorb any damage and will also keep loads from sliding around. Just make sure that the mat is one of the thick heavy-duty types since those rocks look quite heavy.

I purchased one of those mats for my '83 F-150 and it migrated to an '87, a '97 and an '06 truck. It still works. Maybe I should look at a new one some day....

Lou Braun
That's a really good idea! I don't haul anything in specific really. I'm just helping rebuild the fraternity house with my truck. It's come in handy quite a few times already! The rocks, sand (party one night), concrete, mulch, etc. Not to mention all the stuff I've done with it back home.

I'll go ahead and look into them for sure!

-rockstate

Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Chauncey
Senior User
If you have a TSC store anywhere near by, they sell stall mats that works well for the heavy stuff you carry. Tough enough that horse hoofs don't tear it up. I think the last one I bought was 4x6 for around 45 bucks maybe. Just a thought.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
OK, you contacted me on another forum. Apparantly, the Rhino dealer has talked you into believing that Hardline is the same as LINE-X. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!! Some, that's SOME, of the base components are are the same but that's it. Even the resin/iso ratio is different! LINE-X is 70 pounds per linear inch stronger than Hardline and has a 50 degree higher temperature tolerance.

Both Tuff Grip and Hardline will fade. So, your fix is only short term and then you're going to have the same problem all over again. If you get LINE-X with Xtra, it will resist fading and loss of gloss. Rhino does not have a product like Xtra, not even anything remotely similiar to Xtra. You can only get it from a LINE-X dealer.

BTW, we are are currently installing LINE-X into two trucks for DENNIS RODMAN!

Last edited by TruckDaddy; 12-05-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got Line-X Xtra sprayed in my truck after reading so much about it on here, and I am extremely happy with it. I also had my DeeZee bed rail/tailgate protectors and Weatherguard toolbox sprayed. Check out my galley for pics.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:14 PM
ToughBuiltFord
FTE Sponsor
Old 12-08-2007, 12:24 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
I don't think I'm going to go the bedrug route. Doesn't really appeal to me as I don't have a tonneau cover and like to beat the living cr*p out of my bed.

Beerstalker, I am very jealous of your truck. I'm sorry to see your old one got totaled! I loved that body style along with the 7.3. (didn't see which one you had). How did you like your grille guard? I ordered a Ranch Hand for my Tundra just the other day and it should be in HOPEFULLY at the end of next week or it'll be installed in a month. They're having major backorder problems.

Truckdaddy, I take it you're on the Tundra forum? I appreciate all the information you post, it's been very helpful. When I get it resprayed I'll have him spray Linex, and won't even mention Hardline to him.

-rockstate

Old 12-08-2007, 04:51 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Well, something not quite right is going on here. The dealer can NOT be a LINE-X dealer AND a Rhino dealer. LINE-X does not allow that. So, what's going on?

LINE-X will have a new PATENTED product available next year called ReNew. Dealers will be able to revitalize ANY brand of bedliner using the Xtra product. We're pretty excited about it.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 AM
njjohn
New User
Hardline is best if you are throwing rocks into your bed. It can be sprayed over the TuffGrip without problems as long as they first apply Rhino Primer to the old bedliner to issue good adhesion. If your only complaint is fading, try a bottle of Rhino Shine to the liner. It has pigment in it and provides good UV protection. It wont make the liner stronger, just makes it look new again

Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Here's brand new Tuff Stuff with Rhino Shine. Rhino Shine will flake off and must be reapplied:

Here's black LINE-X Xtra. One time application, resists fading and loss of gloss, is more stain and scratch resistant, contains Dupont Kevlar for extreme durability, is 70 pounds per liner inch stronger than Hardline, lifetime warranty. LINE-X's soon to be released patented ReNew product (which includes the use of Xtra) can be applied on top of any Rhino product.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Hmm that TuffLiner with the Rhino Shine look pretty bad. When mine first got sprayed it looked awesome. I think my dealer did an excellent job with the consistancy of it.

My appointment is for next Tuesday in which, if it's not snowing or icy back home, I'm going to have them spray Linex (first choice) then Rhino Hardline.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

-rockstate

Quick Reply: Need fast response! Spray in liners