Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake line replacement How tough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:56 PM
ridecolby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake line replacement How tough?

One of my lines seems to have let go today. When I got to work the peddle all of a sudden went to the floor and the dash light came on. I noticed some dirty fluid under the truck in the snow and am assuming that it is brake fluid. How difficult of a job is this to do and other than a bleeder bottle do I need any other special tools? Also do I have to bleed all four brakes or just the one that is getting the work done on it?

Old 12-02-2007, 04:02 PM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If its the front system or rear system you may get away with just bleeding the fronts or the rears. That would be either both front wheels or rears not just one. If the fluid is dirty probably best to change all of it, that would mean bleeding all wheels.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 PM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A set of tube wrenches might be beneficial.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
89frankenford
Elder User
are you planning on making your own line? or buying preflared lines? if your making your own line then you will need a double flaring tool kit. you owuld also benefit from buying a set of line wrenches specifically 10mm or 12mm and 3/8" or 7/16". it will be one of those sizes, can't remember off the top of my head. the line wrenches wrap around the fitting about 85% rather the the 75% of a regular open ended wrench which means you will be less likely to round out the fitting. it isn't that hard to make your own line either.the parts you will probably need will be the amount of line you need and the fittings. also the brake fluid too ( DOT 3 Brake fluid to be exact.) before you start, make sure you check and see if the bleeder screws open and are not frozen. if they are you will need a new caliper/wheel cylinder depending on where the fitting is located on the truck. good luck, hope that explained it for you

Old 12-02-2007, 06:56 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Heat up the bleeders until they glow orange, work fast as not to melt the rubbers in the wheel cylinders or calipers but get the bleeder hot. Then touch a ice cube to em and they will come loose. It may take a couple of tries, take your time and make sure you have a good grip on the bleeder, if you have to use vice grips, try it once they will come out. Beats taking the wheel all apart just because of a bleeder screw.

Same applies to replacing a metal line that connected to a rubber line, first cut the metal line of at the nut with a hacksaw blade or dikes so you can use a six point socket on it. Then wrap a wet rag soaking wet with cool water around the end of the rubber line at the joint to keep it cool, work fast to heat the nut without over heating the fitting on the end of the rubber line, if you take to long or get it to hot the crimped end on the rubber line will blow off violently and ruin it. Get it hot fast, touch a ice cube to it and then unscrew it. Try a little heat at a time until it comes free, not using any more heat then necessary. Re-wet your rag as needed, have a second one handy.

Naturally if some muscle head already snapped off the bleeder you'll need a new cylinder, bleeding at the line will not get all the air out.

I'm cheap and live in the salt belt, everything is always rusted up tight but with hot and cold I only buy parts I need. You can easily end up replacing every part of the system if your not careful.
If one line is rusty and leaking it is a sure sign the rest of the metal line are not far behind. Many a time I've had another line blow while bleeding a new one. Now I just replace all the metal lines once one starts to leak. The lines up by the master cylinder may be alright, you'll be able to tell by looking at them.

Sorry so long winded! lol

Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
use pliers or needle nose pliers and break off the brake line close to fitting.

do both ends and remove line, do not bend it if possible.

use six point socket to remove the fittings, if too rusrted use vise grips.

measure length, and take fitting and measurement to auro parts store.

get lines and bending too and line wrenches and go back and put everything back together.

bleed brakes after soaking bleeder for a while and use the six point socket on them.

i have never used a torch to get off the fittings and do not think that is a good idea.

good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:26 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
i have never used a torch to get off the fittings and do not think that is a good idea.

I'm glad to hear you never have to, around here once a car/truck has been driven 5 or so years in the salt you're not getting them off without one. Not without breaking them.

Last edited by danr1; 12-02-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:39 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
i am in cleveland, ohio and we have tons of salt on the road.

still never had to use torch.

did not say i did not break them.

read my post for how to do it.

Last edited by quicklook2; 12-02-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by quicklook2
i am in cleveland, ohio and we have tons of salt on the road.

still never had to use torch.

did not say i did not break them.

read my post for how to do it.
I did read your post but I know how to do it, been doing it for years and no, I don't break em.

I work on a lot of cars and trucks, some new but mostly older ones. If I didn't use a torch I'd be buying lots and lots of parts I wouldn't need if I didn't. Not just brake lines and wheel cyclinders.

If you're afraid of a torch and would rather not use one that's alright, don't mean nothing. So you replace more wheel cyclinders than I do. No big deal, we both posted how we do it so let the OP decide how they want to do it.

And yes, I mesure and buy and bend premade lines "off the shelf" too. I do not feel they cost enough to make my own double flares to have a line fit right to the inch.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
i just never needed to, nor wanted the danger of using a torch on brake lines or bleeders.

it is fine that you do, but do not make it like it can't be done without heat.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:41 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
My post was a "if ya have trouble getting stuff loose" kinda thing, I figured anyone would try without any heat first.

That and if brake fluid was flammable I wouldn't have suggested using a torch to start with. It doesn't burn and I have never started a fire or came close to it because of it.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
a lot of things, including the fuel lines right next to the brake lines, are flammable.

Last edited by quicklook2; 12-02-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 AM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A nice heat gun will sometimes work too, also get some Kroil, its great stuff. Best penetrating oil there is.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 AM
netscaner
Elder User
I have found by close examination, that the corrosion and hangup on bleeders is down inside,.........................so I squirt PB Blaster into the bleeders hole several times over a 30 minute or so time space, then try to remove.

For stripped bleeder and line nuts there is nothing better than the stripped nut extractors from Sears.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
ANDEN
Freshman User
If you are replacing the lines completely and, putting your own fittings on I would recommend getting the same lines that a Toyota/Honda use. These are coated lines as a result they don't rust like the steel ones, plus they bend a lot easier than the steel ones due to the make up. I know this as I work at a brake and fuel line manufacturer.

I'm probably going to replace all mine this coming summer.

Quick Reply: brake line replacement How tough?