N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Hey Guys...Is the Following True?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 AM
cruzinf100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys...Is the Following True?

I got a response from a fellow member at mercurycougar.net that I'm hoping someone can confirm or point me to a source to back up what he told me about my truck. Here's a quote:

Originally Posted by cj750
Nice! Looks a lot like my old '64, only mine was a lot plainer. Yours is a pretty rare truck. Sometime during '63 Ford realized that buyers weren't taking to the unibody design and they had to offer a regular, non-unibody wide bed to keep from losing customers. Unfortunately they didn't have a separate styleside bed to match the then-current cab so they were forced to use the '57-'60 design bed as a stop gap, even though it didn't match the lines of the cab. For '64 they had a matching bed which was used until the bodystyle was phased out for '67.

I have no idea of numbers produced, but '63s still sporting their original "mis-match" beds are a bit of a historical oddity and certainly not seen much anymore.

One thing I remember is that trucks from those years are simple and built tough. No plastic anywhere. About the only things that can kill one are rust and total neglect. Take care of it and it'll outlive any of us.

Jay
Thanks guys!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
His facts are essentially true.The unibody trucks-i(.e. integral cab and bed) didn't sell well because one of the main options available to potential buyers wasn't possible with them.When a truck with e separate bed rusts out or gets beat to *****,you can replace it or build/buy some kind of flat bed replacement.This didn't sit well with farmers,tradesmen,etc.To me, they are still not desirable for the same reasons,though they have beautiful lines.Mine is a working truck,so if yours is more of a hobby/fun truck,this is no issue.They are not really rare,except maybe in the east/midwest,where snow and salt makes it difficult to find any kind of vehicles of that era in decent shape.Steve,Boulder Creek.