Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Senior User

the Goat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Low tire pressure because of cold weather?

****** name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.3 (Unix)"> We just got our first winter day here (8 degrees Fahrenheit). When I drove the super duty the low tire pressure warning came on after ten miles. When I checked the tires' pressures all four were 12-15 psi low. Is that a normal amount of pressure to lose just due to cold weather? I find it hard to believe that all four tires have a slow leak or somebody lowered the pressure on all four wheels, etc. But I wouldn't expect the factory system to trigger due to normal weather conditions. Either way I just spent ten minuets freezing my back end off filling the tires to get the low pressure system to shut up.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Post Fiend

biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

That depends...when was the last time you checked your tire pressure? Seems to me...that what you experienced...is normal, if you haven't check tire pressure in some time. Especially...since they were all about the same low pressure.

Keep an eye on them for the next few weeks...

biz

2012 FORD F250 SD CC 156" Lariat FX4 6.2L BOSS 4x4 4.30s
2003 F250 SD SC 142" XLT FX4 V10 Auto 4x4 3.73s -- Traded
1976 F150 LWB Custom 4x4 390FE NP435 3.50s
Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Senior User

Hootbro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not unusual. For every 10 degree drop, you can expect 1-2 PSI drop. More if the tire is bigger like a truck tire.

The density of air expands and contract with the temperature. Aircraft tires use nitrogen for this and other reasons to maintain stable tire pressure.

My four cars at the house experienced this recently when our first winter temp drop hit us.

Hootbro
Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz4two
That depends...when was the last time you checked your tire pressure? Seems to me...that what you experienced...is normal, if you haven't check tire pressure in some time. Especially...since they were all about the same low pressure.
Well I've actually never checked the pressure in my tires. The truck is two months old (900 miles). So it looks like the factory did a half-a$$ed job filling the tires. That combined with the cold weather dropped the pressure enought to trigger the low pressure sensors.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:31 AM
SUPER size it!

UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
Shame on you! Gotta keep track of that stuff! Anytime I buy/test drive anything I make sure I check all the "vitals" tire pressure included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Goat
Well I've actually never checked the pressure in my tires. The truck is two months old (900 miles). So it looks like the factory did a half-a$$ed job filling the tires. That combined with the cold weather dropped the pressure enought to trigger the low pressure sensors.

PAA #5
2000 F250 Crew Cab with a few goodies
Old 12-02-2007, 10:37 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Very common. My wife's Murano has TPMS, on real cold days you sometimes get a low tire alert. Her tires run at 33 PSI, when you get down to 10F the tires can easily lose 9 PSI.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 12-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Post Fiend

superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Yeah, this happens all the time, especially if the vehicle sits quite a bit. Doesn't matter if it's a truck, 4 wheeler, or a dirt bike. And I second what UP_There said, always check tire pressure, especially when buying a new or new to you rig! When I bought my 00 Yamaha YZ 426F dirt bike new in April of 00, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the thing felt like it was riding on solid ice everywhere I went. After 3-4 rides I checked the tire pressure- 30 PSI in each tire, max is supposed to be 12! Plus, keeping your tires properly inflated will help extend the life of your tires, and with the price of a tire these days you can't afford to be wearing them out too quickly.
PAA Member #2
97 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD
96 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD - totaled 4/17/11 and sorely missed
God speed PaysonPSD, you will be missed
ThumperTalk / All Things Moto! / Back Country Rebels / SAWS / BRC
Old 12-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Goat
The truck is two months old (900 miles). So it looks like the factory did a half-a$$ed job filling the tires.
Lots of dealers do this. They run the tires low so test-drivers think it rides great.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the input guys. When I bought the truck I went through the effort to put the pressure guage in the glove compartment but I didn't think to check the pressure. Now that I think about it, of corse I should have checked.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1999, cold, cool, due, f250, ford, leak, losing, low, p21560r17, pressure, psi, tire, tires, weather