1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

registration requirements

Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minnesota - truck with Bill of Sale and no title
1) Looked in the laws online and found a form to fill out.
2) Filled out form.
3) Took pictures of the vehicle.
4) Took paperwork and pictures to a registrar and signed form.
5) Sent forms and pictures to DMW main office.
6) Recieved title about 2 months later.

I would say it was painless really.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Minnesota here, too..... I bought the '66 Bronco ( in my gallery) and received no title. I bought it from the local JY. The DMV lady (I think it's a she) said I needed a notarized statement from the previous owner. I told her it was from the JY, she said it didn't matter, I needed the statement from the previous owner. I haven't gone to her since, 1995. I go to my old home town dmv, where everything is much better. I will be going through the process that Christopher2 states next year. http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/Motor...tle.html#Proof

Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I wouldn't tell someone you got the vehicle from a salvage yard unless you know it has a salvage title for sure. I ran into a case where the vehicle was scrapped and I could not get a title for it. Oh what a pain that was. I would have gotten a BOS from the salvage yard and been done with it.

Originally Posted by havi
Minnesota here, too..... I bought the '66 Bronco ( in my gallery) and received no title. I bought it from the local JY. The DMV lady (I think it's a she) said I needed a notarized statement from the previous owner. I told her it was from the JY, she said it didn't matter, I needed the statement from the previous owner. I haven't gone to her since, 1995. I go to my old home town dmv, where everything is much better. I will be going through the process that Christopher2 states next year. http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/MotorVehicle/dvstitle.html#Proof

Old 12-01-2007, 03:11 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, I've learned since then, lol.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 603 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2

C) "Collector", which are issued for vehicles 20 years or older that have not been altered or modified from manufacturer’s specifications. Must have another vehicle currently registered. Cannot be operated during the month of January without a temporary plate. One-time $50 application fee plus twice the annual registration fee for the vehicle type being registered. Truck type vehicles with Collector plates cannot haul more than 500 pounds.

D) "Hobbist", which are issued for reconstructed or street modified vehicles 20 years or older, for replica vehicles 20 years or older or for homemade vehicles. Must have another vehicle currently registered. Cannot be operated during the month of January without a temporary plate. One-time $50 application fee plus twice the annual registration fee for the vehicle type being registered.

Bob, I've just gotta ask, what is the rationale for not driving these in the month of January?? (Like DMV needs a reason) I would guess January isn't much for cruising in WI anyway

Old 12-02-2007, 11:41 AM
ricksta56
Senior User
safety inspection in Mass.

didn't mention in my winded post that immediately after registration, we have within 7 business days to have our vehicles inspected.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:33 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Bob, I've just gotta ask, what is the rationale for not driving these in the month of January?? (Like DMV needs a reason) I would guess January isn't much for cruising in WI anyway
At one time if you bought collector plates they were a flat fee of $60 for the first one and $40 for each one after, no renewal. At that time you couldn't drive the vehicle between November and April. The theory was that since it was a collector vehicle and was getting the discounted fee it shouldn't be driven in the bad weather when road mantainence costs are at their highest with snow removal. I never had a problem with that because if you restored a car or truck why in the world you want to drive it on our salt covered roads all year long and also increase the chance of an accident because of the icy roads. It made total sense to me. Somewhere since the last time I bought plates in the late '80s and now they changed the fees and restrictions. I would guess maybe too many people were driving their vehicles during the off times and getting tickets. To help alleviate the pressure the powers that be decided it was more profitable to raise the rates and increase the operating window.

I think they kept the January requirement because if they didn't a person with an old winter beater could register it at the discounted fee and drive it all year round. With the January restriction they would have to fine another vehicle for one month. I have know a few people whose primary car was their "collector" car, which was a total piece of cr*p and didn't have another car with regular registration. When you first apply for a collector plate they check to make sure you have a regular registerd vehicle but after that you can dump it and they never go out of their way to check.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 AM
needhelp49
Elder User
bobj i had no problems kinnda like chris said mn is called dmv thay sent me the forms called the state troopers offic thay sent a trooper to my house he cked numbers on frame signed paper sent dmv forms pics and ck he said the problem people have is when thay build it first then try to get a title if you have a truck thats restored or rodded and is worth 20 or 30 grand the state wants u to post a bond till thay run it to make sure its not hot

Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Joel,

When I bought my '48 F-4 a few years out of MN it was suppose to come with a title. Because of the circumstances at the time I picked it up (A very interesting experience) I didn't get the title. After I got home the seller wouldn't answer my emails so I called the WI DOT and the person I talked to told me if I don't have a title I'm SOL.

On another note, it's very foolish to restore a truck and then get it registered. If for some reason the paper work is not correct the person holding legal title for the vehicle can claim it. There was a article about this in Vintage Truck some time ago about this written by a retired state trooper.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
the lady i talked to sent me the forms asap got them in 2 days the trooper was a gear head so he was kool thay do run the vin in all 50 to make sure its not hot it cost me 45 bucks to get the title my fil bought a title and vin for his 29 coupe from a guy in ohio

Old 01-10-2015, 12:18 PM
54-F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Not to get off topic but here's one of my first experiences at the DMV.

When I first started driving you could either send your registration payments in and it would take two weeks to get your plates or you could go downtown to the only DMV station in SE WI (Now they have them in every major town) and get your plates right away. As I stood in the long line waiting for this surly old fossil to wait on me I watched as he grunted at the people coming to him and finding every little mistake that was made on their forms and sending to the back of the line redo the forms. I was finally third in line and a quiet Hispanic lady who hadn't quite master the English language yet came up to be waited on. Again, he grunted and didn't take the time to help this lady, just sent her to the back of the line. Next, in front of me, was a twenty something, very nice looking woman. The old fossil looked up from his paperwork and the biggest sh** eating grin came on his dried up old puss. She was able to sail through the process even though she didn't have the proper forms filled out correctly. He was more than glad to help her out. It worked out great for me. Once the woman left he had some residual happiness left and it only took five minutes to take care of my paperwork.
God blessed us all with the pleasure of enjoying beauty
Outside of the inherited beauty of youth, most "nice looking" ladies spend considerable efforts so that we can all benefit from their beauty....many of us experience those "sh** eating grins" from women or at car shows

Old 10-20-2020, 06:49 PM
David Contreras
New User
Smile

Originally Posted by brucelee
In the State of Georgia you need a bill of sale: I sold XXXXXXX a 19XX Ford pickup for fair market value on XX/XX/XXXX to XXXXXXX.. Have a nice day... No title just a tag registration from the state of Georgia will be issued. That is if the vehicle is more thsn 20 years old. Of course proof of insurance is required
i would like more info. I stay in north GA and i would like to Bring a LOBO to GA,

Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old post but thought I would offer New Hampshire's old car registration/title process. If you have a title you're golden. It doesn't matter where it's from. A registration will be issued and antique plates are about $15. If you have an old title and want a New Hampshire title in your name, you can get one for about $25 even though NH does not require titles for vehicles over 20 years old. If you don't have a title, it a different matter. You need a bill of sale and they give you a form. You take the form to your local police department and someone there physically views the VIN and signs the form stating they saw it. If your vehicle is not operable, the police officer will come to your house on request. Once that form has been completed, then you can take it and the bill of sale back to the town office and get your registration and/or title. Not too bad actually as long as you know the rules.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:39 PM
drdre
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In VT, you can register a car without a title if it is older than 15 years, as the state only issues transferable registrations for those vehicles.

The best things is that Vermont registers vehicle to people out of state, with the vehicle out of state, registered to an out of state address; all done by mail.
No VIN verification or safety test needed (the latter only if the car will be driven on VT roads)

It takes about two weeks to get a set of plates via mail.

This is the best bet for getting vehicles without a title registrable in other states.

One can then use the VT registration to register it in the state one resides in and get a proper title.

I did this last year with my F3 that had a MI replacement title with a DMV issued VIN (rather than the frame „VIN“) and thus could not be registered in FL (where VIN verification is required). Once I had the VT registration with the actual frame number on it, it was a standard process at the FL DMV.

The alternative is a bonded title, if offered in the state of residence. Cost between the two probably the same, but bounded title usually takes 3 years to clear.

Dre

PS: Bill of Sale is likely needed for VT route which can be downloaded from VT DMV. Ask a buddy to help you out. VIN must be on the bill of sale.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-21-2020, 12:46 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
In Indiana, they have to check the vin. If it's an antique that doesn't have the vin on the dash, then you have to have a vehicle inspection form filled out by an officer.