Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OK, first step on my Romp Romp fix

Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Like a gasser with the largest duration cam you have ever seen... Like one whole side of the engine fires ROMP....... and then the other fires ROMP..... there is usually a 1/2 to 1 second delay between ROMPS.
I wish we had a sound file of the "romps"...then when someone asks about it, we just put the link to the sound file. If anyone has a sound file of the "romps" send me a copy and I will put it on a server I have and post the link.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Try this. It's what my truck sounds like upon a cold engine startup and then I lug the engine down in 2nd gear.

http://home.comcast.net/~Kwikkordead...ggit_final.mp3

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 11-29-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Hmmm, link typed correctly, case sensitive and everything, still not working.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link didn't work Dan. I am going to try to log my IPR and ICP in the am but it is not easy as the connection wants the ignition to on or run and it takes a few to hook up and get to a log sreen. At that point I will have to jump the relay again or just go with it. No helper here as wife will be gone and boy will be in school.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Link works now. I forgot a portion of the url.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
That is similar but nowhere as severe as a good startup romp. Believe me. Mine has been so bad it sometimes feels like the engine is about to jump out of the mounts. The truck really shakes. Almost seems like it might run in the opposite direction at any moment.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
That is similar but nowhere as severe as a good startup romp. Believe me. Mine has been so bad it sometimes feels like the engine is about to jump out of the mounts. The truck really shakes. Almost seems like it might run in the opposite direction at any moment.
I know what you mean, when mine did it, it would rev between nothing and approx 1200 IIRC, hell with all the torque i was surprised it didnt roll the truck (if youve ever seen the simpsons episode with homer and the tractor)

Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Chasing a theory:
One of you with a truck that has the romps, before you start it in the morning. Please pull one of the blank plugs in the HPOP rail, the one that is at the highest point, and see if there is a trapped air bubble.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Chasing a theory:
One of you with a truck that has the romps, before you start it in the morning. Please pull one of the blank plugs in the HPOP rail, the one that is at the highest point, and see if there is a trapped air bubble.
If it ever happens again I will, it hasnt gotten cold enough yet here, and since I replaced the GPR it hasnt happend. Another contributing issue, is this summer I switched to 5-40 synthetic, So if there was an oil problem, it will more then likely be less of an issue, but if it happens, and I can duplicate it, I will.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
If it ever happens again I will, it hasnt gotten cold enough yet here, and since I replaced the GPR it hasnt happend. Another contributing issue, is this summer I switched to 5-40 synthetic, So if there was an oil problem, it will more then likely be less of an issue, but if it happens, and I can duplicate it, I will.
I'll bet, due to the oil you are now running, that you will not get the "romps" at all ...I think what happens is that the cold flow rate of the 5-40 syn (relative to the cold flow rate of the 15-40W dino) alleviates the high-pressure oil problem (whatever that problem is...I don't think we know quite yet - I am assuming that the problem is something to do with screwed up fueling due to injectors not receiving the oil quick enough at start up) on cold mornings. I'm really leaning towards IPR, flow rate, GPR combination problem...any one, or combination of these issues, can be the cause of the romps.

Last edited by nlemerise; 11-30-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:00 AM
pullinair
Elder User
Hey Tenn, I on one hand do not think the oil is causing your romps. I started my truck ths morning , 27 degrees out side , with: Delo 15-40 oil, original IPR, 179,000 miles, Dp-tuner in 20 tow setting and had no romps. (Also, not plugged in , and had not run in three days.)

You are describing serious romps that my truck did not exhibit on a cold engine below 32 degrees with half as many miles that you have on your truck. Just wanted to give some sort of base line.

I wish I had more experience with these oil systems to help you out, so you can get her runnin right again.

Tim

Last edited by pullinair; 11-30-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:18 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pullinair
Hey Tenn, I on one hand do not think the oil is causing your romps. I started my truck ths morning , 27 degrees out side , with: Delo 15-40 oil, original IPR, 179,000 miles, Dp-tuner in 20 tow setting and had no romps. (Also, not plugged in , and had not run in three days.)

You are describing serious romps that my truck did not exhibit on a cold engine below 32 degrees with half as many miles that you have on your truck. Just wanted to give some sort of base line.

I wish I had more experience with these oil systems to help you out, so you can get her runnin right again.

Tim
I have a theory that the engines with the manual trans will not romp. When mine romps, the minute I take it out of gear (with my auto) the romp stops.. My my 99, it is for sure the oil.. 5w40 will not romp, 15w40 will every time.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I have a theory that the engines with the manual trans will not romp. When mine romps, the minute I take it out of gear (with my auto) the romp stops.. My my 99, it is for sure the oil.. 5w40 will not romp, 15w40 will every time.
Whoa!!! I've never heard that (stops romping when tranny is placed in neutral). I've never tried to do this, so Iask: Will our trucks (with auto tranny) start in neutral? Clint, did you ever try to start it in neutral?

Old 11-30-2007, 11:52 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has never romped until this morning. From my recent experience I have to say it is oil related. I was asking on other threads what romp is and such, so I have been paying attention lately. We have had temps down close to zero the last couple of weeks and I had no romp. Today, however, with temps in around 6 the thing romped three times. The only thing that changed is I had the oil changed yesterday. I was running service pro 15w40, but due to the lack of a current heated shop I had local shop change it and they used rotella 15w40. I replaced the gpr last spring along with new batteries, so I know that is not the issue (unless it is the glowplugs themselve) but it is firing off, it just romps.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Whoa!!! I've never heard that (stops romping when tranny is placed in neutral). I've never tried to do this, so Iask: Will our trucks (with auto tranny) start in neutral? Clint, did you ever try to start it in neutral?
Yep, they will start in neutral. I guess what i am trying to say is the auto trans put a slight drag on the engine in gear which in my case seems to cause the romp.. Putting the trans in park or neutral stops my romp.. Of coarse, as I said before switching to syn 5w40 stops my romp.. period.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OK, first step on my Romp Romp fix