04 Exp. Radio dead, but loads ejects CDs??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 PM
H20ENG
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Exp. Radio dead, but loads ejects CDs??

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Sorry to double post, but this may be more appropriate here than over in the EXP forum.

After I repaired the window switch the other day,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673978&goto=newpost

the battery was dead. I knew it was on its way out, but running the windows up and down, and all the times running the seat back and forth when you take the key out killed it.

Since jump starting it, the radio will not come on, and the HVAC display is only on when cooling or heating. (actually this part may be normal and I just always had the fan before ) (EDIT: yep, the HVAC works fine)

I thought I had blown a fuse jumping 12V to the window motor (used the lighter socket below the radio as a source).
Fuses are good, I can eject and load a CD, but the damn thing just wont come on and play.

I searched for an hour about this, but have not seen this problem pop up here.

I just read that when replacing the battery, you need to go through some drill to reset the whole damn truck, so I'm hoping this will take care of it.

Any Info?

Update, it didnt fix the radio. I can load, eject cds, hit menu and adjust the clock, but afterwards it simply shuts off. The fuse is good unless there is another one I dont know about.

Anyone have the pinout or any factory wiring diagram that would show mw where to look? I'm going to pull the deck and test the molex and maybe even open the unit up looking for a bad solder trace or something.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=300></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 AM
furball69
Postmaster
Is there any chance you may have shorted a speaker connection while the while it was on? Or accidentally put 12V power to the speaker wires?

If no to those, then have you tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:44 AM
H20ENG
Freshman User
I'm sure I couldnt have shorted or juiced the speaker wires, I only unplugged the molexes for the window switch while I was in the door.

I took the terminals off and cleaned them and I left it apart while eating lunch. I was hoping that would reset it as well. No go.

I need to get in the dash and poke around with the Fluke.

Any tips on getting to the radio. I hate trying to find all those screws and clips by trial and error...
Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM
66f25red
Senior User
Have you checked the charging voltage? Radios have a high voltage limit at which they do not work. The last one I had do this was charging at 15+ volts, there is also a low voltage limit below which system will not work.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
furball69
Postmaster
It does sound like the low voltage sensor is shutting the radio down.

Probable causes would be a bad battery. Once a battery has been killed, it causes permanent damage to its capacity that can never be recovered.

Or,

Pooched alternator. Boosting a dead battery then allowing the alternator to charge the battery can damage the alternator.

Killed my battery once out camping it 'just' barely had enough juice to start. Started it, and moved it forward 10 feet to where the generator and charger were, shut it down and felt the alternator... Damn near hot enough to sizzle.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
gistecknician
Junior User
I have a factory 2004 Expedition Navigation Unit w/rear entertainment DVD player that you could get to replace your broken factory radio. PM me if interested

Old 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM
H20ENG
Freshman User
I just found the pink Acc. wire not getting voltage. Fuse is good, and I get no voltage through the fuse block either. I cant get continuity from the pink wire at the radio to the fuse terminal. Not sure where to go from here except find another Acc. lead and tap into it.

Everything works when I jump 12V to the pink wire. Dunno...

Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You most likely have anothe fuse burned out that supplies power to that circuit. Start checking all of you fuses with a tester and see if you can locate the problem.